Combining 2 drives in DOS

Post by Notxa » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 06:48:41

Does anyone remember the old DOS command to link one or more drives together
so that software running on drive 1 automatically looks to drive 2 if it
can't find a file on drive 1. It was similar to PATH command, I remember
using it on a twin floppy portable PC.

Combining 2 drives in DOS

Post by mcalho » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:00:18

Quote:>Does anyone remember the old DOS command to link one or more drives together
>so that software running on drive 1 automatically looks to drive 2 if it
>can't find a file on drive 1. It was similar to PATH command, I remember
>using it on a twin floppy portable PC.

SUBST  A:  X:

Whenever drive X: is requested, SUBSTitute drive A:
(I may have that backwards!)

--Myron.
--
Five boxes preserve our freedoms:  soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
PhD EE (retired).   "Barbershop" tenor.   CDL(PTX).   W0PBV.   (785) 539-4448

Combining 2 drives in DOS

Post by Ted Davi » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:52:23

Quote:>>Does anyone remember the old DOS command to link one or more drives together
>>so that software running on drive 1 automatically looks to drive 2 if it
>>can't find a file on drive 1. It was similar to PATH command, I remember
>>using it on a twin floppy portable PC.

>SUBST  A:  X:

SUBST substitutes a drive letter for a directory - pretty  much the
opposite of what is wanted.

I think the command may be JOIN, but that is totally obsolete and in
any case did not supplement the PATH.  I think the question is so
totally confused that there is no answer.

Combining 2 drives in DOS

Post by Jo I. Spalde » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 18:16:08

> >>Does anyone remember the old DOS command to link one or more drives
together
> >>so that software running on drive 1 automatically looks to drive 2 if it
> >>can't find a file on drive 1. It was similar to PATH command, I remember
> >>using it on a twin floppy portable PC.

> >SUBST  A:  X:

> SUBST substitutes a drive letter for a directory - pretty  much the
> opposite of what is wanted.

> I think the command may be JOIN, but that is totally obsolete and in
> any case did not supplement the PATH.  I think the question is so
> totally confused that there is no answer.

> SPAM filter: Messages to this address *must* contain "T.E.D."
> somewhere in the body or they will be automatically rejected.

It is possible that you can use APPEND. this command can link several
folders so that their contents appears in the folder they are appended to.

Regards
Jo

Combining 2 drives in DOS

Post by Ted Davi » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 21:57:45

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:16:08 +0200, "Jo I. Spalder"

>together

>> >SUBST  A:  X:

>> SUBST substitutes a drive letter for a directory - pretty  much the
>> opposite of what is wanted.

>> I think the command may be JOIN, but that is totally obsolete and in
>> any case did not supplement the PATH.  I think the question is so
>> totally confused that there is no answer.

>> SPAM filter: Messages to this address *must* contain "T.E.D."
>> somewhere in the body or they will be automatically rejected.

>It is possible that you can use APPEND. this command can link several
>folders so that their contents appears in the folder they are appended to.

That's probably what the OP was looking for.  It never was all that
popular.  I think it went away in Win9x, though it is present in the
NT series.