real-time MIDI & clock interrupts

Post by ron newm » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Here's a common problem that apparently many have solved, but how?
I'm writing a MIDI program that needs to respond relatively quickly
to time-sensitive MIDI events coming in over the MPU401 interface.  At the
same time I need to maintain a metronome.  That means no pausing for
the metronome time intervals.  It means ideally setting up a hardware
interrupt that will occur at the intervals I want.  (And don't say,
18.2 per second, that's too granular.  It needs to be completely
programmable.)  Obviously people are doing this, since most developers
don't rely on the MPU401's hardware metronome, since most third party interface
manufacturers don't implement it.
        I've gotten cryptic replies on this, worded in such a way that
you could understand it if you already knew how to do it.  Does anyone
have any useful information?  Thanks in advance.  Please respond by email.

Ron Newman
Troubadour Technology
http://204.212.40.2/~ronman/animal.htm

Post by Christian Froeschli » Wed, 01 May 1996 04:00:00

> interrupt that will occur at the intervals I want.  (And don't say,
> 18.2 per second, that's too granular.

The solution to your problem should be in the FAQ.
(Millisecond timing)

   __/  __/   -  Christian Froeschlin
  /    /
 /     _/     * If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, *
___/ _/       * however improbable, must be the BUG !              *

1. Anybody ever tried the CMOS real time clock hardware interrupt

Obviously, you haven't found the right FAQ yet. :-) You should take a look
at Kris Heidenstrom's excellent PC Timer FAQ, which can be found as:

ftp://oak.oakland.edu/SimTel/msdos/info/pctim002.zip

...or at any SimTel mirror.

It discusses a wide variety of timing methods at considerable length,
including the Real-Time Clock interrupt.  I recommend it highly.

---
Glen Blankenship

2. Floating licenses?

3. Real Time Clock interrupt questions

4. os2logo to bmp?

5. System timer update from real-time clock - uptim300.zip (1/1)

6. One port with 2 DLCIs connected to internet and private network

7. System timer update from real-time clock - uptim300.zip (0/1)

8. Hello

9. Error: Faulty real-time clock

10. Accessing real-time clock directly

11. System timer update from real-time clock - uptim300.zip (0/1)

12. System timer update from real-time clock - uptim300.zip (1/1)