File manager (with LFN) for DOS

Post by phil » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 04:56:23

Quote:> Are there any good DOS file managers which uses long file names?

> I want to copy some folders and subfolders from one Windows partition
> to another.  For some reason XCOPY and XCOPY32 don't seem to be
> working for me.

> Maybe it is something to do with me using NTFSDOS from SysInternals
> to see an NTFS file system on one of the partitions.

> Can anyone suggest a file manager which might overcome my problems.

why not just use windows explorer?

Post by Jason Burgo » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 07:07:10

Quote:> Are there any good DOS file managers which uses long file names?

Graphic Vision File Manager - GVFM, available from the 'downloads' page of
my website (see my sig). GVFM is a GUI application with full  drag 'n' drop
when copying and moving files and directories. Check out the effect of the
[Ctrl] and [Shift] keys when selecting files and when performing drag and
drop operations.

Long file names are fully supported when the underlying O/S supports the DOS
LFN API. That is, when run under Win9x/ME etc or under any MS-DOS clone that
fully supports LFN's.

--
Jay

Jason Burgon. Author of Graphic Vision
Version 2.21 available from:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gvision

Post by Roger Hun » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 19:13:52

>>> Are there any good DOS file managers which uses long file
>>> names?

>>> I want to copy some folders and subfolders from one Windows
>>> partition to another.  For some reason XCOPY and XCOPY32 don't
>>> seem to be working for me.

>>> Maybe it is something to do with me using NTFSDOS from
>>> SysInternals to see an NTFS file system on one of the
>>> partitions.

>>> Can anyone suggest a file manager which might overcome my
>>> problems.

>> why not just use windows explorer?

>NTFSDOS only runs in DOS.

Use ntfswin9x, also from sysinternals.
Granted the freeware version is read/copy only, but it may be enough for
your purposes.
Then again, again from sysinternals, there is fat32nt4 which will let
nt4 read/copy fat32 partitions.
--
Roger Hunt

File manager (with LFN) for DOS

Post by Noumeno » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:57:24

Quote:> Can anyone suggest a file manager which might overcome my problems.

DN (Dos Navigator)
starting from DOS version 1.51.05 supports LFN
on FAT32 and NTFS

"DN" OSP version --
http://dnosp.ru/e_index.htm
http://dn.traktir.ru