Help

Post by Entil-z » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>REM ** DEVICE=C:\SBCD\DRV\SBIDE.SYS /E:MSCD001 /P:170,15 /V
>DEVICE=C:\SBCD\DRV\SBIDE.SYS /E:MSCD001 /V /N /P:1e8,11,3ee

This directive is troubling.  These are the settings (1E8,11) for a
tertiary IDE adapter!  While I suppose that it's possible that you
have three or more IDE adapters in your system, it doesn't seem very
likely.  You might want to try using the 170,15 settings from the
first line.  These settings are much more likely to be correct,
although nothing is certain.

However, even after you get the hardware settings right, I still think
your problem will persist.  If your SoundBlaster card is like mine (a
&*#^% Plug-n-Pray card), you won't be able to get it to initialize
outside of Win9X without first implementing Intel's PnP Configuration
Manager.  None of my PnP-only cards are recognized under "pure" DOS
without first implementing that PnP manager.

The ICU program can be downloaded directly from Intel.  It's fairly
large (about 2MB in 2 files at last check).  Creative may also offer
similar files for downloading, but I don't know that for sure.

It's hateful to have to deal with all of this, but it will probably
help a lot.  Good luck!

1. ....................BIOS Problems ? HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

I sent my notebook computer for repairs, and due to unexplainable reasons, the
service center replaced the whole unit (coimputer) except for the hard disk, which
was transfered from the old computer.  I used to run DOS 5.0 with absolutely no
hitch.

To give you an idea : I used to task switch between kermit, GeoWorks,
VI editor, Norton commander, and for some time(while I was evaluating it) 4DOS.
Once in a while the wolfenstien game was also a task.  I had no problems what so ever
with the old unit.

Now, the new unit, DOES TASK SWITCH, but the video mode remains in GRAPHICS MODE
AFTER THE SWITCH (i.e, after I press alt-tab to move from one task to another).

Whether or not the properties menu option (is set to text or not) is set, the
task switch causes a a blank GRAPHICS mode screen.

For example if I switched form KERMIT to another copy of command.com (a task),
then I see a blank screen in video mode.  But whatever I type, the computer takes
action.  So I typed mode 80, and LO, BEHOLD, the text screen is back !!!

So, now, I have to do the `mode 80' command in every task, after each switch.

------------------------------------

Now, I have spent nearly 40 dollars calling everyone in magnavox and phillips
service centers, and they cant figure out what is going on.  In fact, none
of the technicians are adept at software, and dont know what task swithcing itself
means.

But I managed to get my problems across to one of the more intelligent guys(named
charlie), who sent me a LATEST VERSION of the BIOS card. (after I told him the
BIOS could be the problem).   NOPE, it didnt help.  The problem persists.

What flummoxes me is that everything was fine in the old unit.  There is a distinct
possibility that the old unit had a very OLD BIOS.  But our investigations over the
phone, seem to rule it out.

Before I travel 245 miles from Detroit to Columbus (th enearest service station)
where charlie works (and that place is my only hope, other than these usenet
groups) and where hopefully, the supervisors can do something non-technical like
give me a new unit with new comptible s/w (But I might have to pay some money),

and before I spend 4 + 4 hrs travelling, by car, I hope that someone here can
help me out.  That's why I am posting to these many groups.

PLEASE HELP ME.  PLEASE HELP ME.  PLEASE HELP ME.  PLEASE HELP ME.

Anyone had any problems like this before ?

************************* P.S. Its not a corrupt s/w problem.  I booted my
notebook using DOS5.0 available on a floppy.  Nothing changes. same problems...
Anyway, corrupted s/w wont cause such `CORRECTABLE' PROBLEMS.

Seetamraju Udaya Bhaskar Sarma

2. SNMP newbie

3. HELP HELP HELP

4. CD Player for HP 700

5. HELP HELP HELP PART 2

6. Moving print queue

7. help help help,dos 6.0 chaos

8. Now...THIS is service! (RadioShack)

9. HELP HELP HELP: Why can't I use setvect(8) ????

10. MOUSE: programming the hardware HELP HELP HELP !!!

11. interrupts, memory, etc. HELP..HELP..HELP!

12. HELP HELP HELP!

13. help, Help HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!