ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by Richard Bonn » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 21:37:25

> > ***   Bloat is just one of the things that turned me off
> > Windows.
> Well, all other things aside, it has spared you the insane
> frustration I experience whenever I see continually released new
> versions of programs which do NOTHING to improve the
> functionality (usually, they just make things more complicated
> and prone to bugs), while increasing the size by ten or thirty-
> fold.

***   Yes. Moving existing things to new locations, and adding ever more
eye and ear candy are not improvements.

Quote:> 3.1 and 9x were not /that/ bad - I used 95B exclusively until
> about 4 years ago when a slow BB connection from my provider got
> cheaper than 2 phone lines and dial-up.

***   Nothing is cheaper than dial-up here in Halifax: $25 a year (yes,
a *year* !)

   As for Win 95, I got tired of constant blue screens, blockage of what I
wanted to do, and with the reinstalls.

Quote:> I had to go to 98SEL

***   It was better, but when a third reinstall loomed, I dumped it in
favour of DR-0DS and have never looked back.

Quote:> then, and I installed XP only for one piece of hardware, and it
> is a nightmare. I refuse to use a system seemingly designed to
> be not only impossible to customize to your preferences but also
> purposely designed to be totally incomprehensible, not to
> mention full of spyware.

***   The virus issue aside, I think if you spent more time with it, you
might achieve the customisation you desire.

   On the other hand, I could never customise Windows to do the one big
thing that I wanted: Get rid of the GUI interface.  )-:

--
         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

Post by Richard Bonn » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 21:47:34

> >> OnT reply:
> >> Let me know if you DO want the file given the recent
> >> developments.

> > ***   I do.  (-:
> He must have me in his kill file or else he would have downloaded the
> file two days ago. :)

***   I have no posters from these groups in my killfile, least of all
you, foxi.

   I must have missed the URL you gave. Could you supply it again, please?

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:00:41

> > The power is at the command line.  (-:
> I agree, but you either have to have 25-40 years experience with
> it, or be younger than I am.

***   I can't agree. It does not take much to get started. I first suggest
that GUIers reduce their mouse usage and get used to keyboard shortcuts.
Then I ask them to explore the macro capabilities of their softwares, and
finally, I get them to write simple batch/script files for their most
repeated operations. This "slow emersion" technique seems to work for
many.

   On a related note, if I have persons working for me that use macros,
shortcuts and batch/script files, they get paid a higher rate because they
can do more in a given time period than lowly point-&-clickers.

Quote:> Also, the inability to switch between programs is an
> inconvenience, because you either have to have some super duper
> utility which will remember 100 commands, or some magic program.

***   Not necessarily. Assuming one is not using a GUI task switcher,
make simple keyboard shortcuts that bring up each program. One might use
the following:

Ctrl-Alt-D:     Database
Ctrl-Alt-I:     Internet
Ctrl-Alt-G:     Graphic Program
Ctrl-Alt-M:     Media Player
Ctrl-Alt-S:     Spreadsheet
Ctrl-Alt-V:     Viewer for Images
Ctrl-Alt-W:     Wordprocessor

   ...and so on.

Quote:> I did just find a supposedly multitasking enabler for DOS on one
> of my older CDR's and will try it.

***   There have been many task-switching and multitasking programs for
DOS. Try here for some:

              http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/Websites.html

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:03:37

> >  ...I access the Internet 95% of the time with a text browser.
> > That eliminates all the eye candy, ear candy, ads, pop-ups and other
> > crap.  I get the essence of any page immediately. I only use a graphic
> > browser if I need to see photo or catalog sites.
> I am very seriously beginning to think about using Lynx again. I
> use OffByOne 99% of the time, but even that is sometimes not
> enough to shield you from the garbage. Using a "full-featured
> browser" is a nightmare, but if I want to get to my bank, I have
> to. And once it's fired up, I have no will-power to /not/ do
> some stupid surfing. Sigh.

***   I use Lynx to do my on-line banking. The version provided by my ISP
is https compatible.

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:05:46

> ...I cannot access chebucto from this country. But a few days
> foxidrive uploaded the file to:
> ftp://220.244.248.182/Txtpics.arc

***   Thanks. I will download and play with it in a week or so after my
current run of shows ends.

--

Post by foxidriv » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:08:15

>>> ***   I do.  (-:

>> He must have me in his kill file or else he would have downloaded the
>> file two days ago. :)

> ***   I have no posters from these groups in my killfile, least of all
> you, foxi.

>     I must have missed the URL you gave. Could you supply it again, please?

Maybe your newsfeed is broken because the file issue was solved long ago, and you were still posting questions as though you were reading posts in order and replying as you went.   I was waiting to see when you got to the solution.

The file is here anyway:

--
Regards,
Mic

Post by Richard Bonn » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:16:21

> > ***   Try setting your options to "ASCII Text" for text
> > news groups. Characters should show as intended.
> I had it set to MS sans serif. Changing it to fixedsys DID make
> the square into brackets, but it does not excuse the lack of
> spaces. Nor the brackets, FTM. In fact, he's a hugger:

(Snip)

***   Fixedsys is not enough. You must use standard ASCII.

Quote:> > ***   I place "Snip" close to a paragraph so as to
> > associate it with text at the end or at the beginning that
> > has been snipped. Thus it might be on the line right after
> > a paragraph, or on a line just before a paragraph that
> > follows.
> That does make sense, but I must say that I would find it a
> little crowded-looking,

***   I place "(Snip") on a line by itself and a blank line before or
after it depending on the context.

Quote:> and I don't know how many people can
> pick up on the reason behind it. I would /guess/ most would
> think it's just sloppiness (sorry!), that's what I would have
> thought.

***   No apology necessary. This is the first time this has come up in any
newsgroup. Since I copied the method from BBS protocol and have seen it in
the first newsgroups to which I subscribed in the 1990s, I would guess its
purpose could be understood.

Quote:> You /could/ explain it in your signature file !!-)

***   I don't like long Sig files; plus, by the time a reader gets to
the Sig file, the "snips" would have long passed.  (-:

Quote:> > ...my smilies face the lines intended to be taken lightly or as
> > humour. Most posters face them away as if one made a joke with
> > one's back toward the listener.
> That does make sense, but I have seen several lists of smileys
> from the last 20 years, and they all face to the right.

***   Probably, someone reversed one and the rest thought that was
standard.

Quote:> ...I have only been on bulletin boards a few times, never posted, and
> read very few posts. I was probably just confused by emoticons.

***   Initially I was too, but I got used to them. I enjoyed the BBS era
until it was replaced by UseNet and the Internet.

--
         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by Auric_ » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 03:33:21

[snippage]
>> > ...my smilies face the lines intended to be taken lightly or as
>> > humour. Most posters face them away as if one made a joke with
>> > one's back toward the listener.

>> That does make sense, but I have seen several lists of smileys
>> from the last 20 years, and they all face to the right.

> ***   Probably, someone reversed one and the rest thought that was
> standard.

AFA person-to-person-over-the-network comms go, the original was :-) in 1982,
but there were other formats going back *at least* to the days of telegraph.
Wikipedia talks about it here:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon#History

Wired has an article too (cited by the WP page):
  http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2011/09/0919fahlman-proposes-emoti...

--
All else is frontier.

Post by Todd Varg » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 05:29:22

>>> He must have me in his kill file or else he would have downloaded the
>>> file two days ago. :)

>> ***   I have no posters from these groups in my killfile, least of all
>> you, foxi.

>>     I must have missed the URL you gave. Could you supply it again,
>> please?

> Maybe your newsfeed is broken because the file issue was solved long ago,
> and you were still posting questions as though you were reading posts in
> order and replying as you went.   I was waiting to see when you got to the
> solution.

> The file is here anyway:

As long as it was solved long ago, why not share the text files in a zip
format instead having others also solve it all over again. I downloaded the
file to examine it but lost interest in the thread once I read that it was
solved. <shrug>

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 07:02:17

<snip>

Quote:> ***   Nothing is cheaper than dial-up here in Halifax: $25
> a year (yes, a *year* !)

That's pretty good!

Quote:>    As for Win 95, I got tired of constant blue screens,
>    blockage of what I
> wanted to do, and with the reinstalls.

It took me years of tweaking to get it to run right, but once I
did, I never got a BSOD unless I did something really stupid.
It's really a pretty good OS. Before they started improving
it... And since I have the OEM version (they built me a computer
in '97), I had FAT32 from the start. It still runs like a charm.

Quote:>> I had to go to 98SEL

> ***   It was better, but when a third reinstall loomed, I
> dumped it in favour of DR-0DS and have never looked back.

I could NEVER use it (Active Desktop? Thanks, but no thanks...
Show everything as web page? Where is my gun?) if not for the
Lite customizer (visit www.litepc.com if you are not familiar
with it - essentially, it replaces 3 main system files with 95B
versions, eliminating the worst annoyances of 98/98SE and
speeding things up).

And I got Acronis TrueImage for /free/ in a British computer
magazine in 2002... THE lifesaver...

Quote:>> then, and I installed XP only for one piece of hardware,
>> and it is a nightmare. I refuse to use a system seemingly
>> designed to be not only impossible to customize to your
>> preferences but also purposely designed to be totally
>> incomprehensible, not to mention full of spyware.

> ***   The virus issue aside, I think if you spent more time
> with it, you might achieve the customisation you desire.

I have posted, researched, etc. Apparently there is no way to
get rid of the multiple accounts, and the copies of sys files
all over the place. Nor is there a way to have a normal start up
menu - you just have to live with what the damn OS creates,
since checking which of the countless and idiotically redundant
directories (excuse me, folders X-(  ) a program's settings are
in is beyond anyone's patience. There are 3rd party utils (like
FastLauncher) which allow you to NEVER use the idiotic start
menu AT ALL, but you still have to have it there - it's like
knowing there's a rabid skunk hiding in your closet.

Quote:>    On the other hand, I could never customise Windows to do
>    the one big
> thing that I wanted: Get rid of the GUI interface.  )-:

I am not sure, but I /think/ I read somewhere you could come
pretty close... There are quite a few shells available... But I
could just be dreaming...

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 07:02:18

<snip>

Quote:> ***   I can't agree. It does not take much to get started.
> I first suggest that GUIers reduce their mouse usage and
> get used to keyboard shortcuts.

I HATE the mouse. I use the KBD as much as possible. If a
program has NO kbd shortcuts, that's the first good reason to
look for a substitute.

Quote:> Then I ask them to explore
> the macro capabilities of their softwares, and finally, I
> get them to write simple batch/script files for their most
> repeated operations. This "slow emersion" technique seems
> to work for many.

I agree. but it's a lot of work. I know how to write very simple
batch files, but sometimes I just get stuck. Setting up macros
is just too frustrating...

Quote:>    On a related note, if I have persons working for me that
>    use macros,
> shortcuts and batch/script files, they get paid a higher
> rate because they can do more in a given time period than
> lowly point-&-clickers.

True.

Quote:>> Also, the inability to switch between programs is an
>> inconvenience, because you either have to have some super
>> duper utility which will remember 100 commands, or some
>> magic program.

> ***   Not necessarily. Assuming one is not using a GUI task
> switcher, make simple keyboard shortcuts that bring up each
> program. One might use the following:

> Ctrl-Alt-D:     Database
> Ctrl-Alt-I:     Internet
> Ctrl-Alt-G:     Graphic Program
> Ctrl-Alt-M:      Media Player
> Ctrl-Alt-S:      Spreadsheet
> Ctrl-Alt-V:      Viewer for Images
> Ctrl-Alt-W:     Wordprocessor

>    ...and so on.

But once you are in one of them, you can't switch to another
without closing/crashing the one you're in, isn't that correct?

Quote:>> I did just find a supposedly multitasking enabler for DOS
>> on one of my older CDR's and will try it.

> ***   There have been many task-switching and multitasking
> programs for DOS. Try here for some:

>               http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/Websites.htm

As I mentioned, for some reason I can't access that site.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 07:02:19

<snip>

Quote:> ***   I use Lynx to do my on-line banking. The version
> provided by my ISP is https compatible.

WOW. That's amazing. Did I understand correctly, your ISP
provides a https version of Lynx? Can you post it somewhere or
tell me where I can find it?

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 07:02:19

<snip>

Quote:> ***   Fixedsys is not enough. You must use standard ASCII.

Would that be Terminal? But that guy is the only person I have
the problem with. And Fixedsys /does/ show the square as
brackets.

<snip>

Quote:>> > ...my smilies face the lines intended to be taken
>> > lightly or as humour. Most posters face them away as if
>> > one made a joke with one's back toward the listener.

>> That does make sense, but I have seen several lists of
>> smileys from the last 20 years, and they all face to the
>> right.

> ***   Probably, someone reversed one and the rest thought
> that was standard.

That's possible.

Quote:>> ...I have only been on bulletin boards a few times, never
>> posted, and read very few posts. I was probably just
>> confused by emoticons.

> ***   Initially I was too, but I got used to them. I
> enjoyed the BBS era until it was replaced by UseNet and the
> Internet.

When a secretary where I worked got a PC in 1984, I was not
allowed to go near it. The I took a 6-class course in 1988 where
I managed to program the machine to draw a circle on the green
monitor. I will never forget that feeling!

I didn't get near a computer again until I got another job, and
by then we were well into Win 3.

--

Post by thanatoi » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 07:04:11

> <snip>

>> ***   I use Lynx to do my on-line banking. The version
>> provided by my ISP is https compatible.

> WOW. That's amazing. Did I understand correctly, your ISP
> provides a https version of Lynx? Can you post it somewhere
> or tell me where I can find it?

And are the SSL versions reasonably recent/secure?

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by Klaus Meinhar » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 17:35:23

Hi,

Quote:>>    On the other hand, I could never customise Windows to do
>>    the one big
>> thing that I wanted: Get rid of the GUI interface.  )-:

> I am not sure, but I /think/ I read somewhere you could come
> pretty close... There are quite a few shells available... But I
> could just be dreaming...

I know that you hate modern operating systems and love the CLI. At the
time of DOS type OSs 4DOS was the way to make life a little bit
easier, overcoming most of command.com's deficiencies. Richard Bonner
should know at least a little bit about this. :-)

For modern NT-type OSs there's TCC/LE
http://jpsoft.com/tccle_cmd_replacement.html , best of all its free. I
my experience there's nothing better for a true CLI nerd (and I count
me in), than having multiple TCC/LE console windows open, with the
benefit of a modern, fast processor and an endlessly large HD.

--
Best regards,

*  Klaus Meinhard  *
<www.4dos.info>