ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by Rod Pemberto » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:32:55

> > I generally don't have money to spare on software, so I
> > normally stick with AVG Free on my main machine.

> What do you run? I see whining about no free AV for 9x all the
> time.

AFAICT, AVG 7.5 was the last version compatible with 9x.  KernelEx doesn't
seem to help with newer versions of AVG, or with Avira or Avast.  For 9x
virus scanners, McAfee Stinger and TrendMicro Sysclean do work correctly.
I'm not sure if KernelEx is required or not.  I have it installed.  Stinger
checks like the latest 1500 virii, and Sysclean checks for a huge number.
Stinger is updated to new versions.  So, download and run.  Sysclean doesn't
change, but it's pattern files are updated.  So, download it once, but
download new pattern files, lptxxx.zip.

Quote:> If so, you might consider posting the info for those poor
> [...] in microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

Feel free to forward that info to them, or the MSFN forum threads for 9x.

Quote:> Yes, there has been a lot of complaints that AV programs tag
> certain "politcaMSally incorrect" things as viruses..

I think AVG accepted information from users.  Occasionally, non-malware
software, e.g. HP's printer drivers, would get flagged as malware.

Quote:> I just pray that this 2003 computer which has the LAST Intel
> chipset to support 98 lasts as long as I want to sit in front of
> a keyboard... I have a 1997 computer with a PCChips (!!!) MB
> which still works just great, so it IS possible...

I'm running SE on a Neo-F which is not compatbile with 98 supposedly ...
See my posts in the "What role does "DOS" play in Windows 95/98?" thread.

Rod Pemberton

Post by thanatoi » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:50:32

>> > I generally don't have money to spare on software, so I
>> > normally stick with AVG Free on my main machine.

>> What do you run? I see whining about no free AV for 9x all
>> the time.

I meant what OS, sorry for not making that clear. But I'll check
the thread you mentioned - I hope it mentions your OS
specifically, although I believe "SE" (a few lines below) MUST
stand for Win 98SE.

Quote:> AFAICT, AVG 7.5 was the last version compatible with 9x.
> KernelEx doesn't seem to help with newer versions of AVG,

Kernel ex is waste of time, IMO.

<snip>

Thanks for the reply and the info.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named

Post by Richard Bonn » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:31:40

> > ***   I have a friend that uses SE Lite and another that
> > had a professor at some course take XP and somehow chop it
> > down to two CDs as a seudo "XP Lite".
> www.litepc.com offers XP lite. I tried it and it does little
> compared to the 98SE version. Most of it, in fact, can be
> achieved just with TweakUI. I'd be curious to see what your
> prof's product looked like,

***   It was a professor of a friend of mine. I will ask her if she has a
version of it.

Quote:> I really despise XP, it drives me insane.

***   As a person that dislikes GUI operating systems, it's all the same
tedium to me. The power is at the command line.  (-:

--
         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

Post by Richard Bonn » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:37:02

> > ***   ...I hate forums because one
> > must use a browser to read and post "news". As a result, I
> > have not tried to access attachments on forums because I
> > belong to none.
> Don't you just HATE the WWW?

***   Not at all. I just don't like some of the ways one has to do things
on it.

   I also access it 95% of the time with a text browser. That eliminates
all the eye candy, ear candy, ads, pop-ups and other crap. I get the
essence of any page immediately. I only use a graphic browser if I need to
see photo or catalog sites.

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:39:43

> > ***   It may be that your news server recognizes the non
> > text and blocks it.
> No, it was just in XNews, before I clicked on send.
> Although the server DID also block the attachments, both
> original and uue versions.

***   That is what I meant by the news server recognising binary content
and blocking it.

Quote:> > ***   Patience is usually the norm in groups such as this
> > because the regulars genuinely wish to help those that are
> > having problems.
> I was quite surprised. I have gotten quite used to being told to
> * off or just being ignored or KF'd in many groups. This was
> a very pleasant experience, especially since, thanks to Auric,
> it - against all expectations - resolved the problem, and the
> results were not nearly as disappointing as I expected they
> would be.

***   While many groups have idiots and those wanting to pick fights,
there are helpful groups.

--
         Richard Bonner
http://www.veryComputer.com/~ak621/DOS/

Post by Richard Bonn » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:42:37

> > ***   dal news will not pass attachments or binary content
> > to text newsgroups. To save us all some time, why not
> > e-mail it to me? I am trustworthy.
> Well, it has been solved - were you away for a few days?

***   I am in the entertainment business and am often away or tied up for
days.

Quote:> Thanks for your interest and help in any case.

***   You're welcome.

Quote:> I CAN email it to you if you want to mess around with it for your
> amu*t, but see Auric's *SUCCESS* thread.

***   Sure send me the file. I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.
Your personal information will not go beyond me.

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:51:28

> > ***   ...then e-mail me the file.  (-:
> OffT reply:
> You know, due to my psychological disorders, I had to KF a
> really nice guy in another group because he insists on using []
> instead of snip (which shows up as a square in XNews)

***   Try setting your options to "ASCII Text" for text news groups.
Characters should show as intended.

Quote:> and he doesn't even put spaces before and after, so it is really hard
> to read his posts;

***   I place "Snip" close to a paragraph so as to associate it with text
at the end or at the beginning that has been snipped. Thus it might be on
the line right after a paragraph, or on a line just before a paragraph
that follows.

Quote:> also, he types his emoticons R>L like you do.

***   Given that the above is not showing as a smiley, I'd again suggest
you try setting to "ASCII Text".

Quote:> He argued he was NOT the only person in the world to do so, as I
> suggested, and I guess he was right. I am certainly not about to
> KF YOU - it's just that I am surprised to see there IS someone
> else!

***   There is. My "snip" and smiley face methods come from bulletin
boards of the 1980s. In particular, my smilies *face* the lines intended
to be taken lightly or as humour. Most posters face them away as if one
made a joke with one's back toward the listener.

Quote:> OnT reply:
> Let me know if you DO want the file given the recent
> developments.

***   I do.  (-:

--

Post by foxidriv » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 00:28:00

Quote:>> OnT reply:
>> Let me know if you DO want the file given the recent
>> developments.

> ***   I do.  (-:

He must have me in his kill file or else he would have downloaded the file two days ago. :)

--
Regards,
Mic

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 02:14:35

<snip>

Quote:>> I'd be curious to see
>> what your prof's product looked like,

> ***   It was a professor of a friend of mine. I will ask
> her if she has a version of it.

This is /most/ kind of you.

Quote:>> I really despise XP, it drives me insane.

> ***   As a person that dislikes GUI operating systems, it's
> all the same tedium to me. The power is at the command
> line.  (-:

I agree, but you either have to have 25-40 years experience with
it, or be younger than I am.

Also, the inability to switch between programs is an
inconvenience, because you either have to have some super duper
utility which will remember 100 commands, or some magic program.
I did just find a supposedly multitasking enabler for DOS on one
of my older CDR's and will try it.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 02:14:36

<snip>

Quote:>> Don't you just HATE the WWW?

> ***   Not at all. I just don't like some of the ways one
> has to do things on it.

I tend to generalize. Although, ultimately, I think it has
destroyed reality for many people, and I call it idiot box #2.
The WWW, not the internet.

Quote:>    I also access it 95% of the time with a text browser.
>    That eliminates
> all the eye candy, ear candy, ads, pop-ups and other crap.
> I get the essence of any page immediately. I only use a
> graphic browser if I need to see photo or catalog sites.

I am very seriously beginning to think about using Lynx again. I
use OffByOne 99% of the time, but even that is sometimes not
enough to shield you from the garbage. Using a "full-featured
browser" is a nightmare, but if I want to get to my bank, I have
to. And once it's fired up, I have no will-power to /not/ do
some stupid surfing. Sigh.

--

Post by thanatoi » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 02:14:37

>> > ***   It may be that your news server recognizes the non
>> > text and blocks it.

>> No, it was just in XNews, before I clicked on send.

>> Although the server DID also block the attachments, both
>> original and uue versions.

I understood that, I just find it curious that XNews, /not/
connected to the server, would not allow me to paste the binary
file into the message body.

<snip>

--

Post by thanatoi » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 02:14:38

>>> OnT reply:
>>> Let me know if you DO want the file given the recent
>>> developments.

>> ***   I do.  (-:

> He must have me in his kill file

From my short visit to this group, I don't see why anyone would
KF you. He may just not have read your post. BTW, again, I
appreciate your doing that.

<snip>

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 02:14:39

<snip>

Quote:> ***   Sure send me the file. I'd like to see what all the
> fuss is about. Your personal information will not go beyond
> me.

BION, I cannot access chebucto from this country. But a few days
foxidrive uploaded the file to:

ftp://220.244.248.182/Txtpics.arc

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 06:34:46

Quote:> *. I wrote a really good reply with a lot of references
> and stuff and lost it. Old age is NO fun. I have to go eat
> something. I will try to replicate it later.

> Cheers.

I am more gone than I thought. I sent it, forgot I did, didn't
think of looking in my sent folder, and wrote the previous post.

Rod replied, and I replied to him.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 07:05:41

<snip>

I forgot to reply to these statements...

Quote:>> You know, due to my psychological disorders, I had to KF a
>> really nice guy in another group because he insists on
>> using [] instead of snip (which shows up as a square in
>> XNews)

> ***   Try setting your options to "ASCII Text" for text
> news groups. Characters should show as intended.

I had it set to MS sans serif. Changing it to fixedsys DID make
the square into brackets, but it does not excuse the lack of
spaces. Nor the brackets, FTM. In fact, he's a hugger:

[]              Hugs
[] and :*       Hugs and kisses

(as in TWO emoticon ref. files)

Quote:>> and he doesn't even put spaces before and after, so it is
>> really hard to read his posts;

> ***   I place "Snip" close to a paragraph so as to
> associate it with text at the end or at the beginning that
> has been snipped. Thus it might be on the line right after
> a paragraph, or on a line just before a paragraph that
> follows.

That does make sense, but I must say that I would find it a
little crowded-looking, and I don't know how many people can
pick up on the reason behind it. I would /guess/ most would
think it's just sloppiness (sorry!), that's what I would have
thought. You /could/ explain it in your signature file !!-)

Quote:>> also, he types his emoticons R>L like you do.

> ***   Given that the above is not showing as a smiley, I'd
> again suggest you try setting to "ASCII Text".

Sigh. Well, he drives me nuts for other reasons as well, so it's
probably better to keep him in the KF. He is the only person I
have had the bracket problem with. I have seen (...) and stuff
like that, but most people either do not snip at all (which I
complain about) or use the word snip or some variation.

Quote:>> He argued he was NOT the only person in the world to do
>> so, as I suggested, and I guess he was right. I am
>> certainly not about to KF YOU - it's just that I am
>> surprised to see there IS someone else!

> ***   There is. My "snip" and smiley face methods come from
> bulletin boards of the 1980s. In particular, my smilies
> *face* the lines intended to be taken lightly or as humour.
> Most posters face them away as if one made a joke with
> one's back toward the listener.

That does make sense, but I have seen several lists of smileys
from the last 20 years, and they all face to the right. But I
have only been on bulletin boards a few times, never posted, and
read very few posts. I was probably just confused by emoticons.