ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 03:42:12

<snip>

Quote:> ***   It may be that your news server recognizes the non
> text and blocks it.

No, it was just in XNews, before I clicked on send.

Although the server DID also block the attachments, both
original and uue versions.

<snip>

Quote:> ***   Patience is usually the norm in groups such as this
> because the regulars genuinely wish to help those that are
> having problems.

I was quite surprised. I have gotten quite used to being told to
* off or just being ignored or KF'd in many groups. This was
a very pleasant experience, especially since, thanks to Auric,
it - against all expectations - resolved the problem, and the
results were not nearly as disappointing as I expected they
would be.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named

Post by thanatoi » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 03:44:29

>> > Maybe: http://www.klemid.de/CryptFile.aspx

>> I tried it, and it does run under XP, but it says the
>> files are not encrypted.

>> I have also tried about 8 various old programs, and they
>> all give me the same results.

> ***   Perhaps the contents are corrupted.

That's what some posters suggested, or that I was doing
something wrong, but it turns out it was just a cp/m file. ALL
the progs I used (at least a dozen) gave me the same results,
the TYT files.

--

Post by thanatoi » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 03:47:22

>> <snip>

>> ES will not accept a uue attachment.
>> The post from another server does not show up on ES,
>> although it MAY show up on yours...

>> Let me know if your server got it, and if not, I'll post
>> it on a file-share site. All this for a 20K file!

> ***   dal news will not pass attachments or binary content
> to text newsgroups. To save us all some time, why not
> e-mail it to me? I am trustworthy.

Well, it has been solved - were you away for a few days?

Thanks for your interest and help in any case. And I CAN email
it to you if you want to mess around with it for your amu*t,
but see Auric's *SUCCESS* thread.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 03:53:07

<snip>

Quote:> ***   ...then e-mail me the file.  (-:

OffT reply:
You know, due to my psychological disorders, I had to KF a
really nice guy in another group because he insists on using []
instead of snip (which shows up as a square in XNews), and he
doesn't even put spaces before and after, so it is really hard
to read his posts; also, he types his emoticons R>L like you do.
He argued he was NOT the only person in the world to do so, as I
suggested, and I guess he was right. I am certainly not about to
KF YOU - it's just that I am surprised to see there IS someone
else!

OnT reply:
Let me know if you DO want the file given the recent
developments.

--

Post by thanatoi » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 03:59:52

>> Still, nothing like a totally incomprehensible and
>> unconfigurable behemoth with 2-5 copies of almost all
>> system files all over the place. Sigh.

> ***   Bloat is just one of the things that turned me off
> Windows.

Well, all other things aside, it has spared you the insane
frustration I experience whenever I see continually released new
versions of programs which do NOTHING to improve the
functionality (usually, they just make things more complicated
and prone to bugs), while increasing the size by ten or thirty-
fold.

3.1 and 9x were not /that/ bad - I used 95B exclusively until
about 4 years ago when a slow BB connection from my provider got
cheaper than 2 phone lines and dial-up. I had to go to 98SEL
then, and I installed XP only for one piece of hardware, and it
is a nightmare. I refuse to use a system seemingly designed to
be not only impossible to customize to your preferences but also
purposely designed to be totally incomprehensible, not to
mention full of spyware.

[Needless to say, I have YET to actually USE that analog video
capture card - it's only been two years and 3 months since I got
it ;-)  ]

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 04:03:48

<snip>

Quote:> If it wasn't for all the crap, there wouldn't be much on
> the www.

I am sure Mr. Berners-Lee is a very nice person, and had he not
done it, someone else would have, but it is a curse. It, along
with all the stupid iToys and the slow abandonment of land line
telephones by users, resulting in noisy broken connections, let
alone when calling LD) has totally destroyed the quality of life
in this century - for me, anyway.

--

Post by Auric_ » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 06:56:52

>> (Snip)
>>> maybe it'll work on XP - although I hate XP, and use
>>> 98SELite 99% of the time and DOS .5% of the time.

>> ***   I have a friend that uses SE Lite and another that
>> had a professor at some course take XP and somehow chop it
>> down to two CDs as a seudo "XP Lite".

> www.litepc.com offers XP lite. I tried it and it does little
> compared to the 98SE version. Most of it, in fact, can be
> achieved just with TweakUI. I'd be curious to see what your
> prof's product looked like, I really despise XP, it drives me
> insane.

Don't knock XPlite; it can trim the fat from an XP system like you wouldn't
believe (and trust me, XP needs it). When/if I have to move to Win7/8/9000/
whatever, I hope LitePC has a version for that system, too.

Also, for a "lite" version of XP, there's Bart's makePE, which makes a 1-disk
bootable XP livecd from a normal XP or 2003 CD:
  http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

--
Short term memory is for the weak.

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:30:07

<snip>

Quote:> Don't knock XPlite; it can trim the fat from an XP system
> like you wouldn't believe (and trust me, XP needs it).

You don't have to tell me it needs it, but it didn't offer much
t* that I could see. There is something called TinyXP
which you can DL from the usual places. It has its drawbacks -
SOME things will not install/run unless you have ALL the MS
garbage. But it IS tiny.

Quote:> When/if I have to move to Win7/8/9000/ whatever, I hope
> LitePC has a version for that system, too.

I was hoping for that, but it does not seem so. Unless Win6 and
6.1 (AKA Vista and Win7) are just so insane that it is taking
him THIS long to hack.

Quote:> Also, for a "lite" version of XP, there's Bart's makePE,
> which makes a 1-disk bootable XP livecd from a normal XP or
> 2003 CD:
>   http://www.veryComputer.com/

Thanks, I'll check it out.

--

Post by Auric_ » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 14:20:52

> <snip>

>> Don't knock XPlite; it can trim the fat from an XP system
>> like you wouldn't believe (and trust me, XP needs it).

> You don't have to tell me it needs it, but it didn't offer much
> t* that I could see. There is something called TinyXP
> which you can DL from the usual places. It has its drawbacks -
> SOME things will not install/run unless you have ALL the MS
> garbage. But it IS tiny.

Seen it, might even have a copy in storage... but I can't bring myself to
trust OS's from "the usual places". (Paranoia serves me well sometimes.)
Besides, what I have right now works; no need to futz around with it any
more.

Quote:>> When/if I have to move to Win7/8/9000/ whatever, I hope
>> LitePC has a version for that system, too.

> I was hoping for that, but it does not seem so. Unless Win6 and
> 6.1 (AKA Vista and Win7) are just so insane that it is taking
> him THIS long to hack.

I'm not holding my breath. More likely, the author looked at Vista and said
"F*** that!"

But see also nLite/vLite:
  http://www.veryComputer.com/

I'd forgotten about these. They're essentially "98lite for 2000/XP/2003/
Vista" (but not Win7 currently).

Win7 has 7Customizer:
  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Redirects to this (watch the word wrap):
  http://www.veryComputer.com/
vlite-for-windows-7/

Quote:>> Also, for a "lite" version of XP, there's Bart's makePE,
>> which makes a 1-disk bootable XP livecd from a normal XP or
>> 2003 CD:
>>   http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Thanks, I'll check it out.

It actually builds a better livecd than the official WinPE -- official PE
is basically a super-butchered barely-there system, while Bart's PE is
*usable*.

...this thread is getting *way* off-topic. :-)

--
Microsoft: The Tonya Harding of technology.

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 00:17:01

<snip>

Quote:>> There is something called
>> TinyXP which you can DL from the usual places. It has its
>> drawbacks - SOME things will not install/run unless you
>> have ALL the MS garbage. But it IS tiny.

> Seen it, might even have a copy in storage... but I can't
> bring myself to trust OS's from "the usual places".

The 2 versions of Tiny XP I tried were 100% clean - and I use
ESET NOD32, the best AV program - AND I pay for it, even though
I know where to get free def updates - I am not ALL evil ;-)

I noticed that in XP "versions" I have tried, the "malware"
found are usually the MS updates/verification "workarounds" and
disablers.

Generally, I have found /maybe/ 5 or 10 malware instances in 10+
years of DL'g stuff from the "usual places" - I like to try
programs, but I usually delete them after 20 minutes. I am
certainly not going to pay $50-$500 to play around for 20
minutes! OTOH, I /have/ happily paid for free/donation programs
of /real/ quality.

<snip>

Quote:>>> When/if I have to move to Win7/8/9000/ whatever, I hope
>>> LitePC has a version for that system, too.

>> I was hoping for that, but it does not seem so. Unless
>> Win6 and 6.1 (AKA Vista and Win7) are just so insane that
>> it is taking him THIS long to hack.

> I'm not holding my breath. More likely, the author looked
> at Vista and said "F*** that!"

That is also a very good possibility.

Quote:> But see also

<snip>

Thanks for all these great links.

Quote:> ...this thread is getting *way* off-topic. :-)

Funny how that tends to happen, huh?

Cheers.

--

Post by Auric_ » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 02:50:17

> <snip>

>>> There is something called
>>> TinyXP which you can DL from the usual places. It has its
>>> drawbacks - SOME things will not install/run unless you
>>> have ALL the MS garbage. But it IS tiny.

>> Seen it, might even have a copy in storage... but I can't
>> bring myself to trust OS's from "the usual places".

> The 2 versions of Tiny XP I tried were 100% clean - and I use
> ESET NOD32, the best AV program - AND I pay for it, even though
> I know where to get free def updates - I am not ALL evil ;-)

I generally don't have money to spare on software, so I normally stick with
AVG Free on my main machine. If I get a positive there, I check it on
VirusTotal.

Quote:> I noticed that in XP "versions" I have tried, the "malware"
> found are usually the MS updates/verification "workarounds" and
> disablers.

Lovely. And totally expected.

Quote:> Generally, I have found /maybe/ 5 or 10 malware instances in 10+
> years of DL'g stuff from the "usual places" - I like to try
> programs, but I usually delete them after 20 minutes. I am
> certainly not going to pay $50-$500 to play around for 20
> minutes! OTOH, I /have/ happily paid for free/donation programs
> of /real/ quality.

That sounds like the stated reasons that "warez d00dz" do what they do,
remove limitations so you can get the full version before buying to see if
you really want it. (At least, that's how it used to be. A glance at a warez
group just now reveals what looks like 100% viruses.)

Quote:> Thanks for all these great links.

Np. Here's one more:
  http://www.rt7lite.com/

Google "7lite" for more.

--
That's really kind of gross, y'know.

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:14:08

<snip>

Quote:>> The 2 versions of Tiny XP I tried were 100% clean - and I
>> use ESET NOD32, the best AV program - AND I pay for it,
>> even though I know where to get free def updates - I am
>> not ALL evil ;-)

> I generally don't have money to spare on software, so I
> normally stick with AVG Free on my main machine. If I get a
> positive there, I check it on VirusTotal.

What do you run? I see whining about no free AV for 9x all the
time. Do you actually use XP or later (I have a bad memory, I
think you may have said something about this before) or have you
managed to get AVG to work on an earlier Win version?

If so, you might consider posting the info for those poor
*ers in microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

Quote:>> I noticed that in XP "versions" I have tried, the
>> "malware" found are usually the MS updates/verification
>> "workarounds" and disablers.

> Lovely. And totally expected.

Yes, there has been a lot of complaints that AV programs tag
certain "politcaMSally incorrect" things as viruses..

Quote:>> Generally, I have found /maybe/ 5 or 10 malware instances
>> in 10+ years of DL'g stuff from the "usual places" - I
>> like to try programs, but I usually delete them after 20
>> minutes. I am certainly not going to pay $50-$500 to play
>> around for 20 minutes! OTOH, I /have/ happily paid for
>> free/donation programs of /real/ quality.

> That sounds like the stated reasons that "warez d00dz" do
> what they do, remove limitations so you can get the full
> version before buying to see if you really want it. (At
> least, that's how it used to be. A glance at a warez group
> just now reveals what looks like 100% viruses.)

That was the stated philosophy in most of the nfo files from
cracking groups in the past. I don't need anything any more -
and I think that freeware from the 90's is the BEST stuff there
is, in general, but I have noticed that "certain" people have
been super-flooding most warez groups with hundreds of thousands
of different new cracked programs, which, curiously, are ALL
exactly the same size.

These */are/* the bad new days. It's a lot harder to find decent
stuff - but there is also LITTLE decent stuff. All the best
programs were written in the 80's and 90's, and excepting
certain REALLY valid and new technologies, it has all been
bloated rewrites of the old stuff. I have Acronis TrueImage from
2002, under 10MB installed, it has never failed me, not to
mention it came (FULL version) FREE in a British computer
magazine.

You can play Asteroids on Win7, but it's probably a 50MB
program, and the 4KB one was more fun!

The Elder Gods are doing their damndest to kill everyone's
imagination. I REFUSE to see films based on books I love, for
instance.

Anyway, the 2012 version of Acronis is a 252MB /download/ (even
I can NOT believe this...), and I have read a fair bit of
complaints over the years from users of the later versions...
although it could just be user stupidity...

Still, a QUARTER OF A GB for a program which basically does what
several free utils under 1 MB do? How large is the install? 2
Gigs?

Quote:>> Thanks for all these great links.

> Np. Here's one more:
>   http://www.veryComputer.com/

Thanks. Unfortunately, it, like the one below which I came
across while looking at your previous links, need NET, which I
just do NOT trust.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

I just pray that this 2003 computer which has the LAST Intel
chipset to support 98 lasts as long as I want to sit in front of
a keyboard... I have a 1997 computer with a PCChips (!!!) MB
which still works just great, so it IS possible...

Since the damn WWW replaced reality, sitting in front of a
computer just is NOT rewarding any more. What Google has done to
its search pages, especially the image one, recently, is enough
to make you consider unplugging from the net forever, or just
using LYNX.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:17:51

*. I wrote a really good reply with a lot of references and
stuff and lost it. Old age is NO fun. I have to go eat
something. I will try to replicate it later.

Cheers.