ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:32:08

<snip>

Quote:> Yeah, they all look like they were meant for printing, not
> on-screen viewing. (I don't need to buy any printers -- I
> have at least 2 dot matrix printers around here somewhere
> -- so no, no idea what the prices are like.)

$150 and up... WAY up...

Quote:>> I can NOT see ANYTHING in ship or dragon!

> Dragon is sideways. For all of them, it might help to set
> the font size down to 6.

Thanks. (Duh...)

I suppose. I never had a normal boss - they were all peculiar in
their own infuriating way - but they were also very tolerant.

Quote:>> So, not as boring as I thought - thank you /very/ much for
>> your perseverance. It is /much/ appreciated.

> Yup. Even more utils added to my zip dir today, and more
> useless knowledge.
>:-)

Pretty much a definition of the internet as it is today...
Certainly the stupid WWW... WHO needed all that CRAP?

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named

Post by Richard Bonn » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:08:10

> <snip>
> > You could upload it to Rapidshare, or uuencode and post it,
> > etc.
> Rapidshare has become totally impossible to use, but I can
> upload it some less insane site.
> Excuse my ignorance, the last time I used uue was in 1996 or
> something, but if you unencode something, it can be attached to
> a text-only group post?

***   No. At least not in my experience. Attachments are ignored by text
news groups.

--
         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by Richard Bonn » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:10:48

(Snip)

Quote:> maybe it'll work on XP - although I hate XP, and use 98SELite 99% of
> the time and DOS .5% of the time.

***   I have a friend that uses SE Lite and another that had a professor
at some course take XP and somehow chop it down to two CDs as a seudo
"XP Lite".

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:18:36

> > Excuse my ignorance, the last time I used uue was in 1996 or
> > something, but if you unencode something, it can be attached to
> > a text-only group post?
> Yes, you can attach it, or post it inline as body text.  Attachments don't
> always "make it" when distributed.  Posting as the body text is probably
> better.

***   I have often had issues with binary content included in the body
of a post. When I cut it out and name it with a suitable extension, it
has usually failed to execute.

Quote:> Forums usually allow posting attachments, if you've
> setup an account.  So, if both of you are on, say OSDEV.org, you could post
> an attachment and he could DL it.

***   That might work, although I hate forums because one must use a
browser to read and post "news". As a result, I have not tried to
access attachments on forums because I belong to none.

Quote:> I would ask Richard Bonner what he can handle.  And, post to all four
> groups, since I'm not sure where he is reading.

> Rod Pemberton

***   I am reading in all but the `nt' group.

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:22:38

> <snip>
> > Yes, you can attach it, or post it inline as body text.
> I tried, and it will NOT allow me to paste it online, even
> though it's under 20K. I paste the first ten or so characters,
> and that's it.

***   It may be that your news server recognises the non text and blocks
it.

Quote:> I tried various manipulations, with the same
> results. Let's hope the attachment goes through, if not, I'll
> post it to some file sharing site.

***   The file-sharing site would be the best.

Quote:> Thanks again - and for your patience.

***   Patience is usually the norm in groups such as this because the
regulars genuinely wish to help those that are having problems.

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:23:52

> > Maybe: http://www.klemid.de/CryptFile.aspx
> I tried it, and it does run under XP, but it says the files are
> not encrypted.
> I have also tried about 8 various old programs, and they all
> give me the same results.

***   Perhaps the contents are corrupted.

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:27:19

> >> www.scovetta.com

> > ***   Why not give me the direct URL to the file.? There
> > must be one if you downloaded it.
> Unfortunately, it's part of a huge 90MB file:

***   90 MB? No thanks.  (-:

Quote:> BTW, I tried almost everything, and no luck. A program which
> actually creates encrypted TYT files claims /these/ TYT files
> are non-encrypted. About 8 old programs all gave me the same
> results when I unARC'd it. So I am stuck. I have 5 more to try
> which I just DL'f from links someone else gave me.

***   As I recently posted, perhaps the files are corrupted.

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:29:28

> <snip>
> ES will not accept a uue attachment.
> The post from another server does not show up on ES, although it
> MAY show up on yours...
> Let me know if your server got it, and if not, I'll post it on a
> file-share site. All this for a 20K file!

***   dal news will not pass attachments or binary content to text
newsgroups. To save us all some time, why not e-mail it to me? I am
trustworthy.

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:36:12

> I believe my OP, which
> even gave you the first two lines of one of the TYT files, which
> indicate that there is (or at least might be) a TXT file inside
> provided all the info necessary.

***   Use a file viewer or the TYPE | MORE command  to see the file
contents. If there is plain text, it might be visible.

Quote:> I have little DOS experience compared to the assumed combined
> powers in these groups, so I posted this out of curiosity. But
> ten ASCII art files are certainly not worth wasting any more of
> your or anyone else's time. I have spent at least 5 hours on
> this by now, and I am ready to just forget I ever came across
> them.

***   I don't consider it a waste because I like to solve puzzles.

Quote:> (Notwithstanding, if anyone has even more free time than I, they
> are welcome to battle with this stupid file and if they succeed,
> they will be thanked profusely, regardless of the actual
> contents, which I am certain are quite uninteresting. I just
> hate mysteries.)

***   ...then e-mail me the file.  (-:

--

Post by Richard Bonn » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:48:40

> Still, nothing like a totally incomprehensible and
> unconfigurable behemoth with 2-5 copies of almost all system
> files all over the place. Sigh.

***   Bloat is just one of the things that turned me off Windows.

--

Post by Auric_ » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 00:09:20

> <snip>

>> Yeah, they all look like they were meant for printing, not
>> on-screen viewing. (I don't need to buy any printers -- I
>> have at least 2 dot matrix printers around here somewhere
>> -- so no, no idea what the prices are like.)

> $150 and up... WAY up...

Huh. Sounds like 1980's prices all over again.

Quote:> I suppose. I never had a normal boss - they were all peculiar in
> their own infuriating way - but they were also very tolerant.

Most of my bosses have been women, and it's always been my policy to never
even test the waters in that direction. Better safe than sorry.

If it wasn't for all the crap, there wouldn't be much on the www.

--
I'd rather you hate me for everything I am,
than have you love me for something that I can't be.

Post by thanatoi » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 03:33:55

> (Snip)
>> maybe it'll work on XP - although I hate XP, and use
>> 98SELite 99% of the time and DOS .5% of the time.

> ***   I have a friend that uses SE Lite and another that
> had a professor at some course take XP and somehow chop it
> down to two CDs as a seudo "XP Lite".

www.litepc.com offers XP lite. I tried it and it does little
compared to the 98SE version. Most of it, in fact, can be
achieved just with TweakUI. I'd be curious to see what your
prof's product looked like, I really despise XP, it drives me
insane.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 03:37:50

<snip>

Quote:> ***   I have often had issues with binary content included
> in the body of a post. When I cut it out and name it with a
> suitable extension, it has usually failed to execute.

Well, as I mentioned, I could not paste it into the body of my
post, and I even tried just making the binary file the post by
adding my text before and after the binary content, and it still
only showed about ten characters once in XNews.

Quote:>> Forums usually allow posting attachments, if you've
>> setup an account.  So, if both of you are on, say
>> OSDEV.org, you could post an attachment and he could DL
>> it.

> ***   That might work, although I hate forums because one
> must use a browser to read and post "news". As a result, I
> have not tried to access attachments on forums because I
> belong to none.

Don't you just HATE the WWW?

<snip>