ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by Auric_ » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:59:27

> <snip>

>> None of my (de)compression tools can do anything with these
>> files. My copies of (Un)Squeeze don't recognize them:
>>   E:\>usq DRAGON.TYT
>>   UNSQUEEZE  VERSION LC-1.0 (01-16-84)
>>   qopen: FD76 not squeeze code
>>   usq:  can't unsqueeze DRAGON.TYT

>>   E:\>usq2 DRAGON.TYT
>>   Unsqueeze Utility  Version 2.0
>>   usq: DRAGON.TYT is not a SQueezed file

>> LHA and 'unlzx' also rejected them. I had guessed that
>> Michael Haardt's 'crunch' would work, but upon testing,
>> discovered I was wrong. Sigh.

> I certainly appreciate your efforts. It is beginning to look
> pretty hopeless.

Maybe not *hopeless*. If someone has the actual CP/M versions of squeeze
and/or crunch, maybe they could try to unpack them... but even if not, based
on the filenames, they're probably ASCII art anyway -- no big loss (IMO) if
they can't be recovered.

Anyway, it's been interesting -- I expanded my 'zip' directory with several
new-to-me utils, and learned a bit about some old formats. Any day you learn
something completely useless isn't a TOTAL waste. :-)

--
You can't judge the value of a thing by looking only at costs.

Post by foxidriv » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 23:41:20

>> I certainly appreciate your efforts. It is beginning to look
>> pretty hopeless.

> Maybe not *hopeless*. If someone has the actual CP/M versions of squeeze
> and/or crunch, maybe they could try to unpack them...

http://www.digitalresearch.biz/CPM-FAQ.HTM#Q18

Quote:> Anyway, it's been interesting -- I expanded my 'zip' directory with several
> new-to-me utils, and learned a bit about some old formats. Any day you learn
> something completely useless isn't a TOTAL waste. :-)

Yep! :)

--
Regards,
Mic

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 05:49:40

<snip>

Quote:> I'm pretty sure Richard meant the URL of the .arc file(s)
> containing the TYTs. A link to the archive(s) would give
> you the best results from us.

The ARC file containing the ten TYT files is one of the 2838
files contained within the utility.zip file. Feel free to ask
Mr. Scovetta why he set it up this way.

Quote:>> But there are some interesting things in there, although
>> TOTALLY disorganized. If you look at some of the formtool
>> files, you'll see what I was talking about re: personal
>> info.

> FWIW, that archive contains an older copy of TrID. You
> could try using that to identify your TYT files. Just
> sayin'.

Nothing identifies the TYT files, but the ARC archive was
identifies as an arc archive by about ten programs I checked it
with, including some which helpful members of these groups have
provided me with links to (thank you).

<snip>

Quote:> There was at least one archiver from the 80's that changed
> the middle letter of the extension to something else to
> indicate that it was compressed (although I think that
> archiver used Z, i.e. filename.tzt).

I can change the middle letter even in Windows Explorer, not
that I would EVER run that piece if crap. I believe my OP, which
even gave you the first two lines of one of the TYT files, which
indicate that there is (or at least might be) a TXT file inside
provided all the info necessary.

I have little DOS experience compared to the assumed combined
powers in these groups, so I posted this out of curiosity. But
ten ASCII art files are certainly not worth wasting any more of
your or anyone else's time. I have spent at least 5 hours on
this by now, and I am ready to just forget I ever came across
them.

(Notwithstanding, if anyone has even more free time than I, they
are welcome to battle with this stupid file and if they succeed,
they will be thanked profusely, regardless of the actual
contents, which I am certain are quite uninteresting. I just
hate mysteries.)

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named

Post by thanatoi » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 05:49:42

>> <snip>

>> ES will not accept a uue attachment.
>> The post from another server does not show up on ES,
>> although it MAY show up on yours...

>> Let me know if your server got it, and if not, I'll post
>> it on a file-share site. All this for a 20K file!

> I suggest doing that anyway.

Surely you know what a PITA most of those stupid sites for kids
are. I would prefer to avoid it. I WILL do it if there is no
other way. Who knows, maybe aioe DOES accept/allow dl'g of uue
attachments. ES won't even let you send them.

--

Post by thanatoi » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 05:58:20

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:05:49 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid

>>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:55:18 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid

>><snip>

>>> I like your maths ;-)

So what DID you mean?

Quote:>>If you are implying "they" (since when is math plural?) are
>>incorrect (sadly, I have learned to always be on the
>>defensive on the Usenet), my math /sic/ is correct.

> Well, the subject area is termed mathematics, and the more
> usual abbreviation outside of the US of A is "maths".  But
> then again, the US of A has butchered spelling all over in
> their version of English. You say color, I say colour.  I
> won't go on.

I dig. Your "email address" being somewhat bland, and I not
having noticed any obviously British hints in your writing, I
did not think of it. Of course, it's 'maths' in the UK.

What are your thoughts on "connexion" AOT "connection", though?

Quote:>>The statement above means I use XP .5% of the time.

> Cool.  Sane even.

I would NEVER use the stupid thing if not for ONE piece of
hardware with no 9x drivers. But I must admit the XP+ version of
VLC runs a lot better than the last 9x version.

Still, nothing like a totally incomprehensible and
unconfigurable behemoth with 2-5 copies of almost all system
files all over the place. Sigh.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 06:00:52

<snip>

Quote:>> I certainly appreciate your efforts. It is beginning to
>> look pretty hopeless.

> Maybe not *hopeless*. If someone has the actual CP/M
> versions of squeeze and/or crunch, maybe they could try to
> unpack them... but even if not, based on the filenames,
> they're probably ASCII art anyway -- no big loss (IMO) if
> they can't be recovered.

Oh, I always knew they were ASCII art and probably VERY boring,
I just can't leave things alone, you know, there are various
terms for this disorder...

Quote:> Anyway, it's been interesting -- I expanded my 'zip'
> directory with several new-to-me utils, and learned a bit
> about some old formats. Any day you learn something
> completely useless isn't a TOTAL waste. :-)

I agree - I learned about some cool old programs as well. And
some totally useless ones as well ;-)

If I find this still keeps me up at nights a month from now, I
might write to the site owner and ask him WTF.

--

Post by thanatoi » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 06:12:41

>>> I certainly appreciate your efforts. It is beginning to
>>> look pretty hopeless.

>> Maybe not *hopeless*. If someone has the actual CP/M
>> versions of squeeze and/or crunch, maybe they could try to
>> unpack them...

> http://www.digitalresearch.biz/CPM-FAQ.HTM#Q18

You have been extremely helpful, thank you. I tried the 2 "most-
likely-to" DOS versions of the programs mentioned there. One did
nothing, the other gave me the same results as all the other
programs I have used. Sigh.

--

Post by Auric_ » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 06:52:07

> <snip>

>>> I certainly appreciate your efforts. It is beginning to
>>> look pretty hopeless.

>> Maybe not *hopeless*. If someone has the actual CP/M
>> versions of squeeze and/or crunch, maybe they could try to
>> unpack them... but even if not, based on the filenames,
>> they're probably ASCII art anyway -- no big loss (IMO) if
>> they can't be recovered.

> Oh, I always knew they were ASCII art and probably VERY boring,
> I just can't leave things alone, you know, there are various
> terms for this disorder...

Yeah, looking at the archive's name again (Txtpics.arc) makes me want to
slap myself.

Quote:>> Anyway, it's been interesting -- I expanded my 'zip'
>> directory with several new-to-me utils, and learned a bit
>> about some old formats. Any day you learn something
>> completely useless isn't a TOTAL waste. :-)

> I agree - I learned about some cool old programs as well. And
> some totally useless ones as well ;-)

> If I find this still keeps me up at nights a month from now, I
> might write to the site owner and ask him WTF.

A bit more digging in Google pointed me here:
  http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cpm/

This file:
  http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cpm/transfer/dos4cpm.zip
...contains a DOS archiver called "UCRLZH20.EXE" that can extract your
files, one at a time. ("UCRLZH20" = "uncrunch LZH 2.0")

Assuming you're in an NT system, do this from the command line to extract
everything:
  for %x in (*?Y?) do UCRLZH20 %x

This assumes you're doing that in the directory containing your ?Y? files,
and UCRLZH20.EXE is either in the same dir or in the path.

Note that CAROL.NUD, CINDY.TXT, FALL73.TXT, PINUP1.TXT, PINUP2.TXT, and
RAQUEL.TXT should be considered NSFW.

--
- Obi-wan never told you what happened to your father.
  - He told me enough! He told me *you* killed him!

Post by Auric_ » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 08:37:51

> I'm used to my batches working in NT and not 9x.

Er... lemme rephrase that: "I'm used to my command-line stuff working under
NT and not 9x." There we go.

--
- Do you know how to use that thing?
- Yes. The pointy end goes into the other man.