ARC and TYT files, help needed

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by Rod Pemberto » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 08:09:55






> <snip>

> > You could upload it to Rapidshare, or uuencode and post it,
> > etc.

> Rapidshare has become totally impossible to use, but I can
> upload it some less insane site.

> Excuse my ignorance, the last time I used uue was in 1996 or
> something, but if you unencode something, it can be attached to
> a text-only group post?

Yes, you can attach it, or post it inline as body text.  Attachments don't
always "make it" when distributed.  Posting as the body text is probably
better.

There are a number of newer programs similar to uuencode, such as xxencode,
base64, yEnc, etc.  WinZip should handle uue, xxe, and base 64.
Unfortunately, I don't recognize any text conversion formats in the file
types for 7-Zip.  You can try posting it in it's entirety after encoded, but
some hosts still limit to 32KB messages.  I.e., you may have to break the
post to 32KB segments also ...  That's why sites like Rapidshare are useful.
Unfortunately, if there are some anonymous ftp's anymore that allow uploads,
I'm not aware of them.  Forums usually allow posting attachments, if you've
setup an account.  So, if both of you are on, say OSDEV.org, you could post
an attachment and he could DL it.  Alternately, there are many Usenet hosts
that don't carry the major groups or distribute messages that allowing
posting that could be used as a "mail-drop" or "file-drop".  You'll have to
search for them though, which means you'd need a list of sites, software to
search, testing of post, etc.  You're probably better off dropping "free
filehosting" into Google or Yahoo and finding another Rapidshare like site.

I would ask Richard Bonner what he can handle.  And, post to all four
groups, since I'm not sure where he is reading.  I had to trim due to my
posting host (limit of 3).

Rod Pemberton

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:26:52






<snip>

> Yes, you can attach it, or post it inline as body text.

I tried, and it will NOT allow me to paste it online, even
though it's under 20K. I pastes the first ten or so characters,
and that's it. I tried various manipulations, with the same
results. Let's hope the attachment goes through, if not, I'll
post it to some file sharing site.

Thanks again - and for your patience.

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:29:58




Quote:> Maybe: http://www.klemid.de/CryptFile.aspx

I tried it, and it does run under XP, but it says the files are
not encrypted.

I have also tried about 8 various old programs, and they all
give me the same results.

I have 5 more which someone gave me links to and which I just
DL'd and will try in a few minutes.

Thanks again for your help.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:39:09




Quote:>> www.scovetta.com

> ***   Why not give me the direct URL to the file.? There
> must be one if you downloaded it.

Unfortunately, it's part of a huge 90MB file:

http://archives.scovetta.com/pub/./utility.zip

But there are some interesting things in there, although TOTALLY
disorganized. If you look at some of the formtool files, you'll
see what I was talking about re: personal info.

BTW, I tried almost everything, and no luck. A program which
actually creates encrypted TYT files claims /these/ TYT files
are non-encrypted. About 8 old programs all gave me the same
results when I unARC'd it. So I am stuck. I have 5 more to try
which I just DL'f from links someone else gave me.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:39:09




<snip>

Quote:>> Excuse my ignorance, the last time I used uue was in 1996
>> or something, but if you unencode something, it can be
>> attached to a text-only group post?

> Yes, you can attach it, or post it inline as body text.
> Attachments don't always "make it" when distributed.
> Posting as the body text is probably better.

<snip>

Quote:> You're probably better off dropping "free
> filehosting" into Google or Yahoo and finding another
> Rapidshare like site.

I have used a couple in the past, but this file is only 20K. For
now, I'll try attaching it.

(...)

ES will not accept it. I'll send it from another account.

Quote:> I would ask Richard Bonner what he can handle.  And, post
> to all four groups, since I'm not sure where he is reading.
> I had to trim due to my posting host (limit of 3).

I am already in a convesation wiht him about this.

Thanks for your help.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:56:12




<snip>

ES will not accept a uue attachment.
The post from another server does not show up on ES, although it
MAY show up on yours...

Let me know if your server got it, and if not, I'll post it on a
file-share site. All this for a 20K file!

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by Auric_ » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:15:47





>>> www.scovetta.com

>> ***   Why not give me the direct URL to the file.? There
>> must be one if you downloaded it.

> Unfortunately, it's part of a huge 90MB file:

> http://archives.scovetta.com/pub/./utility.zip

I'm pretty sure Richard meant the URL of the .arc file(s) containing the
TYTs. A link to the archive(s) would give you the best results from us.

Quote:> But there are some interesting things in there, although TOTALLY
> disorganized. If you look at some of the formtool files, you'll
> see what I was talking about re: personal info.

FWIW, that archive contains an older copy of TrID. You could try using that
to identify your TYT files. Just sayin'.

Quote:> BTW, I tried almost everything, and no luck. A program which
> actually creates encrypted TYT files claims /these/ TYT files
> are non-encrypted. About 8 old programs all gave me the same
> results when I unARC'd it. So I am stuck. I have 5 more to try
> which I just DL'f from links someone else gave me.

There was at least one archiver from the 80's that changed the middle letter
of the extension to something else to indicate that it was compressed
(although I think that archiver used Z, i.e. filename.tzt).

--
If you're smiling, I must be doing something wrong.
 -- AppleSeed

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by Auric_ » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:20:46





> <snip>

> ES will not accept a uue attachment.
> The post from another server does not show up on ES, although it
> MAY show up on yours...

> Let me know if your server got it, and if not, I'll post it on a
> file-share site. All this for a 20K file!

I suggest doing that anyway.

--
This cold-hearted world!

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by foxidriv » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:19:52



Quote:>> Yes, you can attach it, or post it inline as body text.

> I forgot to uuencode it, here it is from another server.

This worked here.

The file is here if anyone can't see it.


The files start with 76 FD and searching for it I came up with some info that suggests that they are crunch compressed, possibly from a CPM system.

See here

http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about597503.html

"Squeeze starts with two bytes magic number, two bytes checksum, the
filename terminated by a zero byte and then the compressed data follows.

Crunch started with two bytes magic number, the filename terminated by
a zero byte, two bytes revision level, one byte error detection and one
spare byte.

The LZH version uses 76 FD as magic number, also followed by the filename
terminated by a zero byte. "

http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/UTILS/00README.TXT

--
Regards,
Mic

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by Auric_ » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:53:43




>>> Yes, you can attach it, or post it inline as body text.

>> I forgot to uuencode it, here it is from another server.

> This worked here.

> The file is here if anyone can't see it.


> The files start with 76 FD and searching for it I came up with some info
> that suggests that they are crunch compressed, possibly from a CPM
> system.

> See here

> http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about597503.html

> "Squeeze starts with two bytes magic number, two bytes checksum, the
> filename terminated by a zero byte and then the compressed data follows.

> Crunch started with two bytes magic number, the filename terminated by
> a zero byte, two bytes revision level, one byte error detection and one
> spare byte.

> The LZH version uses 76 FD as magic number, also followed by the
> filename terminated by a zero byte. "

> http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/UTILS/00README.TXT

TrID doesn't recognize the TYT files; 'file' says this:
  DRAGON.TYT; LZH compressed data, original name DRAGON.TXT

Digging through the magic file, it looks like these are indeed 'crunch'
files:
  # squeeze and crunch

  0   beshort 0x76FF  squeezed data,
  >4  string  x       original name %s
  0   beshort 0x76FE  crunched data,
  >2  string  x       original name %s
  0   beshort 0x76FD  LZH compressed data,
  >2  string  x       original name %s

None of my (de)compression tools can do anything with these files. My
copies of (Un)Squeeze don't recognize them:
  E:\>usq DRAGON.TYT
  UNSQUEEZE  VERSION LC-1.0 (01-16-84)
  qopen: FD76 not squeeze code
  usq:  can't unsqueeze DRAGON.TYT

  E:\>usq2 DRAGON.TYT
  Unsqueeze Utility  Version 2.0
  usq: DRAGON.TYT is not a SQueezed file

LHA and 'unlzx' also rejected them. I had guessed that Michael Haardt's
'crunch' would work, but upon testing, discovered I was wrong. Sigh.

--
HOLY EPIC BACKSTORY!

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:56:33





>>> Yes, you can attach it, or post it inline as body text.

>> I forgot to uuencode it, here it is from another server.

> This worked here.

> The file is here if anyone can't see it.



Thank you.

Quote:> The files start with 76 FD and searching for it I came up
> with some info that suggests that they are crunch
> compressed, possibly from a CPM system.

> See here

> http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about597503.html

<snip>

Thank you, this is the furthest we have gotten so far.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:58:06




<snip>

Quote:> None of my (de)compression tools can do anything with these
> files. My copies of (Un)Squeeze don't recognize them:
>   E:\>usq DRAGON.TYT
>   UNSQUEEZE  VERSION LC-1.0 (01-16-84)
>   qopen: FD76 not squeeze code
>   usq:  can't unsqueeze DRAGON.TYT

>   E:\>usq2 DRAGON.TYT
>   Unsqueeze Utility  Version 2.0
>   usq: DRAGON.TYT is not a SQueezed file

> LHA and 'unlzx' also rejected them. I had guessed that
> Michael Haardt's 'crunch' would work, but upon testing,
> discovered I was wrong. Sigh.

I certainly appreciate your efforts. It is beginning to look
pretty hopeless.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

 
 
 

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by who wher » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 17:35:49


On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:05:49 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid




>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:55:18 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid

><snip>

>>>I'll get it
>>>anyway, and maybe it'll work on XP - although I hate XP,
>>>and use 98SELite 99% of the time and DOS .5% of the time.

>> I like your maths ;-)

>If you are implying "they" (since when is math plural?) are
>incorrect (sadly, I have learned to always be on the defensive
>on the Usenet), my math /sic/ is correct.

Well, the subject area is termed mathematics, and the more usual
abbreviation outside of the US of A is "maths".  But then again, the
US of A has butchered spelling all over in their version of English.
You say color, I say colour.  I won't go on.

Quote:>The statement above means I use XP .5% of the time.

Cool.  Sane even.