ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 05:14:41

Hi gang,

I dl'd an old file of ASCII art, it has an ARC extension.
I managed to uncompress it, and ended up with several files with
TYT extensions.

Viewed, they show stuff like:

vyDRAGON.TXT     u????S  ?  ?_??  ??T H9 :
?  bx  L f+) \ ( M1?\]tu?r&?m{ V ?$ (

(etc.)

IOW, there /is/ a TXT file in there. Google shows no results for
the TYT extension, and I am stuck.

Does anyone know how to open these TYT files to get at the TXT?

Post by Auric_ » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 06:41:32

> I dl'd an old file of ASCII art, it has an ARC extension.
> I managed to uncompress it, and ended up with several files with
> TYT extensions.

> Viewed, they show stuff like:

> vyDRAGON.TXT     u????S  ?  ?_??  ??T H9 :
> ?  bx  L f+) \ ( M1?\]tu?r&?m{ V ?$ (

> (etc.)

> IOW, there /is/ a TXT file in there. Google shows no results for
> the TYT extension, and I am stuck.

> Does anyone know how to open these TYT files to get at the TXT?

Try extracting using your archiver of choice, '7z x DRAGON.TYT' or similar.
See if you get something that way. (It *might* be an LZH/LHA file, but no
promises.)

Alternately, grab a copy of either file:
  http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/file.htm

or TrID:
  http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html

This of course assumes that you're doing this from Windows, not DOS. (There
are other programs that'll work, but these are the ones I know, and file is
*very* common.) Use one (or both) programs to see what a "TYT" file actually
is, then google the results.

--
Geeks are obsessive about stupid things. It's what we do.

Post by Single Stage to Orbi » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 07:10:32

> > Does anyone know how to open these TYT files to get at the TXT?

> Try extracting using your archiver of choice, '7z x DRAGON.TYT' or
> similar.
> See if you get something that way. (It *might* be an LZH/LHA file, but
> no promises.)

Why not try using 'file' to identify those mysterious TYT files?
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

Post by Richard Bonn » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:42:43

> I dl'd an old file of ASCII art, it has an ARC extension.
> I managed to uncompress it, and ended up with several files with
> TYT extensions.
> Viewed, they show stuff like:
> vyDRAGON.TXT     u????S  ?  ?_??  ??T H9 :
> ?  bx  L f+) \ ( M1?\]tu?r&?m{ V ?$ (
> (etc.)
> IOW, there /is/ a TXT file in there. Google shows no results for
> the TYT extension, and I am stuck.
> Does anyone know how to open these TYT files to get at the TXT?

***   I am not familiar with that extension, but you could e-mail me the
.arc file and I can try to save/convert the files into .txt ones so you
can view them.

   You might also return to the website from where you downloaded the file
to see if there are any clues.

--
         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by Rugxul » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 04:18:56

Hi,

Quote:

> Try extracting using your archiver of choice, '7z x DRAGON.TYT' or similar.
> See if you get something that way. (It *might* be an LZH/LHA file, but no
> promises.)

7z doesn't support that many formats, honestly.

("7za i"):

7-Zip (A) 9.20  Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov  2010-11-18

Formats:
   CK  bzip2   bz2 bzip2 tbz2 (.tar) tbz (.tar)   B Z h
   CK  gzip    gz gzip tgz (.tar) tpz (.tar)   1F 8B 08
    K  lzma    lzma
    K  lzma86  lzma86
       Split   001
   CK  xz      xz txz (.tar)   FD 7 z X Z 00
       Z       z taz (.tar)    1F 9D
   C   7z      7z              7 z BC AF ' 1C
       Cab     cab             M S C F
   C   tar     tar             u s t a r
   C   zip     zip jar xpi odt ods docx xlsx   P K 03 04

Codecs:

Quote:> Alternately, grab a copy of either file:
> ?http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/file.htm

> or TrID:
> ?http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html

> This of course assumes that you're doing this from Windows, not DOS. (There
> are other programs that'll work, but these are the ones I know, and file is
> *very* common.) Use one (or both) programs to see what a "TYT" file actually
> is, then google the results.

I hope you're right, but I'm afraid you're wrong. And I've never even
heard of .TYT files, but perhaps it's like (old) Squeeze where .TXT
becomes .TQT somehow. Dunno.

Anyways, here's some (DOS) id tools to try:

ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/shaid270.zip
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/idar215e.exe
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/gt260.zip
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/typ_d32.zip
http://sites.google.com/site/rugxulo/file-503.zip?attredirects=0

If any of it tells you anything, please let us know.   :-)

Post by thanatoi » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:09:47

>> I dl'd an old file of ASCII art, it has an ARC extension.
>> I managed to uncompress it, and ended up with several
>> files with TYT extensions.

<snip>

Quote:> ***   I am not familiar with that extension, but you could
> e-mail me the .arc file and I can try to save/convert the
> files into .txt ones so you can view them.

Thank you for the offer. Do you have access to binary groups?
The file is only 20K and I like to maintain an illusion in
Usenet anonymity even with helpful people like you.

Quote:>    You might also return to the website from where you
>    downloaded the file
> to see if there are any clues.

It's a very normal-looking but slightly strange personal site,
obviously by someone very knowledgeable and with 20-30 years'
experience, but full of things which are barely even of
anecdotal interest, and with no guide to exploring or finding
what you need in the immense archive section - and a fair bit of
personal (whose is another matter... ;-] ) info left in /some/
of the (obviously saved after being used) program files in the
archives.

www.scovetta.com

Post by thanatoi » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:09:48

>> I dl'd an old file of ASCII art, it has an ARC extension.
>> I managed to uncompress it, and ended up with several
>> files with TYT extensions.
> Try extracting using your archiver of choice, '7z x
> DRAGON.TYT' or similar. See if you get something that way.
> (It *might* be an LZH/LHA file, but no promises.)

I tried everything I have, but will try your links below,
thanks.

Quote:> Alternately, grab a copy of either file:
>   http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/file.htm

> or TrID:
>   http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html

<snip>

Quote:> Use one
> (or both) programs to see what a "TYT" file actually is,
> then google the results.

Google shows four results for TYT, and 3 of them (IIRC) are for
a program called Track Your Travel. Sigh.

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:09:49

ups.com:

> Hi,

>> Try extracting using your archiver of choice, '7z x
>> DRAGON.TYT' or simila
> r.
>> See if you get something that way. (It *might* be an
>> LZH/LHA file, but no promises.)

<snip>

Quote:> I hope you're right, but I'm afraid you're wrong. And I've
> never even heard of .TYT files, but perhaps it's like (old)
> Squeeze where .TXT becomes .TQT somehow. Dunno.

> Anyways, here's some (DOS) id tools to try:

> ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/shaid270.zip
> ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/idar215e.exe
> ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/gt260.zip
> ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/typ_d32.zip
> http://sites.google.com/site/rugxulo/file-503.zip?attredirec
> ts=0

It's amazing what is hiding in the few "plainly" unexposed areas
of Saskatchewan...
Thank you very much for the reply and the links.

Post by Rod Pemberto » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:27:00

> >> I dl'd an old file of ASCII art, it has an ARC extension.
> >> I managed to uncompress it, and ended up with several
> >> files with TYT extensions.

> <snip>

> > ***   I am not familiar with that extension, but you could
> > e-mail me the .arc file and I can try to save/convert the
> > files into .txt ones so you can view them.

> Thank you for the offer. Do you have access to binary groups?
> The file is only 20K and I like to maintain an illusion in
> Usenet anonymity even with helpful people like you.

You could upload it to Rapidshare, or uuencode and post it, etc.

Rod Pemberton
PS  Dropped comp.os.msdos.programmer.

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Quote:> Hi gang,

Maybe: http://www.klemid.de/CryptFile.aspx

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:55:15

<snip>

Quote:> You could upload it to Rapidshare, or uuencode and post it,
> etc.

Rapidshare has become totally impossible to use, but I can
upload it some less insane site.

Excuse my ignorance, the last time I used uue was in 1996 or
something, but if you unencode something, it can be attached to
a text-only group post?

If that's the case, I'll be happy to attach it to a post here.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:55:18

Quote:> In comp.os.msdos.programmer thanatoid

<snip>

Quote:>> IOW, there /is/ a TXT file in there. Google shows no
>> results for the TYT extension, and I am stuck.

>> Does anyone know how to open these TYT files to get at the
>> TXT?

> Maybe: http://www.klemid.de/CryptFile.aspx

Actually, I believe that is the ONLY valid TYT link Google comes
up with - I DID find it, but since I don't have Win2000, I never
read the article carefully. I'll get it anyway, and maybe it'll
work on XP - although I hate XP, and use 98SELite 99% of the
time and DOS .5% of the time.

If not, maybe I can find the required files somewhere...

Thanks!

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found
out that you had already stolen it."
        Bill Gates to Steve Jobs, around 1983

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by who wher » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 19:22:02

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:55:18 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid

>> Maybe: http://www.klemid.de/CryptFile.aspx

>Actually, I believe that is the ONLY valid TYT link Google comes
>up with - I DID find it, but since I don't have Win2000, I never
>read the article carefully. I'll get it anyway, and maybe it'll
>work on XP - although I hate XP, and use 98SELite 99% of the
>time and DOS .5% of the time.

I like your maths ;-)

Post by Richard Bonn » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:18:03

> >> I dl'd an old file of ASCII art, it has an ARC extension.
> >> I managed to uncompress it, and ended up with several
> >> files with TYT extensions.
> <snip>
> > ***   I am not familiar with that extension, but you could
> > e-mail me the .arc file and I can try to save/convert the
> > files into .txt ones so you can view them.
> Thank you for the offer. Do you have access to binary groups?

***   No. They are blocked by my news service. (Actually, the groups are
not blocked, but their binary contents are.)

Quote:> The file is only 20K and I like to maintain an illusion in
> Usenet anonymity even with helpful people like you.

***   I understand. Perhaps you might be inclined to break that if you
realised that I am in the entertainment business and am privy to much
personal information from the persons with whom I work. I would never
divulge their information, nor would I your details.

   Othewwise, try to arrange to place that file on a website where I
might be able to download it.

Quote:> >    You might also return to the website from where you
> >    downloaded the file to see if there are any clues.
> It's a very normal-looking but slightly strange personal site,
> obviously by someone very knowledgeable and with 20-30 years'
> experience, but full of things which are barely even of
> anecdotal interest, and with no guide to exploring or finding
> what you need in the immense archive section - and a fair bit of
> personal (whose is another matter... ;-] ) info left in /some/
> of the (obviously saved after being used) program files in the
> archives.
> www.scovetta.com

***   Why not give me the direct URL to the file.? There must be one if
you downloaded it.

--
         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

ARC and TYT files, help needed

Post by thanatoi » Fri, 28 Oct 2011 08:05:49

Quote:> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:55:18 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid

<snip>

Quote:>>I'll get it
>>anyway, and maybe it'll work on XP - although I hate XP,
>>and use 98SELite 99% of the time and DOS .5% of the time.

> I like your maths ;-)

If you are implying "they" (since when is math plural?) are
incorrect (sadly, I have learned to always be on the defensive
on the Usenet), my math /sic/ is correct.

The statement above means I use XP .5% of the time.