Use DJGPP-compiler in Linux's MSDOS-box ( dosemu ).

Use DJGPP-compiler in Linux's MSDOS-box ( dosemu ).

Post by Panos Platon Tsaprali » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

        I have been trying for some days now to use the DJGPP product in dosemu,
the MS-DOS emulator of the Linux Operating System ( in particular the
SlackWare Distribution ). I constantly keep getting the message "Load error
: no DPMI memory.". However I have specified in the dosemu.conf file that I
want 8Mb of DPMI-memory and, when I run the MicroSoft MSD (
MicroSoftDiagnostics ) program, I see, in the Memory section, that it
recognizes the existence of DPMI-memory.

        I would appreciate it if someone, who has allready used DJGPP in the Linux
DOS-box, could help me resolve this situation. I would really hate it very
much if I had to return back to MS-DOS or Windows-xyz environments.

        Thanks very much in advance !

Panos Platon Tsapralis,
Software Engineer,
Branch Manager,
Software Developement Operations Division,
Western Unisoft, Patras, Hellas.

Post by Eli Zaretski » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>    I have been trying for some days now to use the DJGPP product in dosemu,
> the MS-DOS emulator of the Linux Operating System ( in particular the
> SlackWare Distribution ). I constantly keep getting the message "Load error
> : no DPMI memory.".

Please download the file v2/faq202b.zip from the same place you get DJGPP
and read section 3.4 of the DJGPP FAQ.  It includes some specific advice
on setting up DOSEmu for DJGPP.

Quote:> However I have specified in the dosemu.conf file that I
> want 8Mb of DPMI-memory

The above section suggest setting DPMI and XMS memory to 16MB.  But
please read it all.

Use DJGPP-compiler in Linux's MSDOS-box ( dosemu ).

Post by Darrel Hankerso » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have been trying for some days now to use the DJGPP product in dosemu,
> the MS-DOS emulator of the Linux Operating System ( in particular the
> SlackWare Distribution ). I constantly keep getting the message "Load error
> : no DPMI memory.". However I have specified in the dosemu.conf file that I
> want 8Mb of DPMI-memory and, when I run the MicroSoft MSD (
> MicroSoftDiagnostics ) program, I see, in the Memory section, that it
> recognizes the existence of DPMI-memory.

I recall that with earlier versions of dosemu, it was necessary to add
a patch for DPMI.  All I can say is that djgpp-v2 works with
Linux-1.3.12 and dosemu-0.63.1.66 (My testing is limited to the build
of gawk.)

One solution is to build a cross-compiler.  Others have said that this
works well, and there was an announcemnt about a packaged version on
one of the linux groups.  In my case, I need to test the build of gawk
under DOS.