Problems with config.sys and autoexec.bat

Problems with config.sys and autoexec.bat

Post by Dirk van den Ber » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi to all of you,

yesterday I had the pleasure of trying to get a friend's computer out of
trouble. He has a 386 with 4,5 MB of RAM, and DOS 6.0 running. He had a
very old Windows version installed, Windows 2.1. But it wouldn't start
up. After the openingscreen which ran correctly, it displayed a lot
garbage and then returned us to the systemprompt, c:\.
He also had a regular floppydisk for his tax-returns. The program on
this floppydisk wouldn't run for exactly the same reason the Windows 2.1
wouldn't start: they both reported a 'incorrect DOS-version'. How about
that?
When I checked the autoexec.bat and the config.sys, I noticed these two
were pretty well *ed up. Some commands I recognized, but since I'm
far from a DOS-expert, I couldn't tell especially from the config.sys
what was going wrong. After I made some changes in both files, command
lines that seemed to be unrecognizable anyway during booting, it got
worse. Only after we 'rem'med EMM386, SMARTDRV and some other memory
configuration lines and halted autoexec.bat from running, the
tax-program we installed on the harddisk would run properly if we used
the cd command first.

My question is: what are regular lines for the config.sys file in this
case, given the configuration I just gave you? And why seems
autoexec.bat to be a bottleneck in this case?

I got hold of the Windows 3.1 installation floppydisks, would it work if
I had these installed?

Thanx very much in advance,

Dirk, Nederland.

Problems with config.sys and autoexec.bat

Post by joseph ola » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi to all of you,

> yesterday I had the pleasure of trying to get a friend's computer out of
> trouble. He has a 386 with 4,5 MB of RAM, and DOS 6.0 running. He had a
> very old Windows version installed, Windows 2.1. But it wouldn't start
> up. After the openingscreen which ran correctly, it displayed a lot
> garbage and then returned us to the systemprompt, c:\.
> He also had a regular floppydisk for his tax-returns. The program on
> this floppydisk wouldn't run for exactly the same reason the Windows 2.1
> wouldn't start: they both reported a 'incorrect DOS-version'. How about
> that?
> When I checked the autoexec.bat and the config.sys, I noticed these two
> were pretty well *ed up. Some commands I recognized, but since I'm
> far from a DOS-expert, I couldn't tell especially from the config.sys
> what was going wrong. After I made some changes in both files, command
> lines that seemed to be unrecognizable anyway during booting, it got
> worse. Only after we 'rem'med EMM386, SMARTDRV and some other memory
> configuration lines and halted autoexec.bat from running, the
> tax-program we installed on the harddisk would run properly if we used
> the cd command first.

> My question is: what are regular lines for the config.sys file in this
> case, given the configuration I just gave you? And why seems
> autoexec.bat to be a bottleneck in this case?

> I got hold of the Windows 3.1 installation floppydisks, would it work if
> I had these installed?

> Thanx very much in advance,

> Dirk, Nederland.

I think, because of the incorrect version messages, there are some files
from earlier versions of DOS still sitting on the hard drive.  Without
much more details on installed hardware it is not possible to give you
exactly what the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat file should contain.  I
would think the best thing to do would be to get a bootable floppy with
the latest version of DOS he has, add Format to the disk, boot the system
and reformat the whole thing then install Win3.1 if desired.  It will
probably run but with the limited amount of memory available, not well.
Save all files and programs he will want to keep before formatting.

1. MSDOS62 and no io.sys, config.sys autoexec.bat blank hard drive

I'm trying to help out some kids in a "home". Someone has formatted the
hard drive. I can't figure out how to get it back running. It will boot to
MS-DOS6.2, but it tells me I have no io.sys, no config.sys and no
autoexec.bat. I'm finding out what a rookie I am in this area... groan, I
have researched all sorts of stuff off this site and others. Not getting
anywhere. The cdrom drivers are correct ones but won't let me install them
without io.sys, config. etc.....I try to edit the autoexec and the config
files but they don't exist...WHAT am I doing wrong? please help
thanks:)           yours truly, rookie n novice

2. FS:USR Courier I Modem Model 1 with X2 & V90 $140.00

3. HELP: msd.exe hangs using my autoexec.bat and config.sys

4. FPGA'2001 Call for Participation

5. Bypassing CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT

6. lgrind.sty

7. 6.22 config.sys , autoexec.bat

8. Oracle anyone?

9. My CONFIG.SYS menu can't communicate with AUTOEXEC.BAT

10. Autoexec.bat, config.sys setup...HELP

11. Config.sys vs. Autoexec.bat

12. Where is autoexec.bat and config.sys

13. Logging config.sys and autoexec.bat