Config.sys vs. Autoexec.bat

Post by Stephen Lamant » Fri, 12 Mar 1993 06:52:57

It used to be you put some things in Config.sys and other things in
Autoexec.bat, and you always knew what went where.  Then a while ago I noticed
that the docs for my MS Mouse said I could put the mouse driver in either
Config.sys *OR* in Autoexec.bat.  And nowadays it seems almost the rule that
*you the user* has to decide whether to put something in Config.sys or in
Autoexec.bat (eg, Smartdrv, Fastopen, et al).

My question is obvious by now: How the heck am *I* supposed to know where to
put what.  What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of putting these
things in Config.sys/Autoexec.bat?

Config.sys vs. Autoexec.bat

Post by Michael C Landau » Fri, 12 Mar 1993 18:15:34

>It used to be you put some things in Config.sys and other things in
>Autoexec.bat, and you always knew what went where.  Then a while ago I noticed
>that the docs for my MS Mouse said I could put the mouse driver in either
>Config.sys *OR* in Autoexec.bat.  And nowadays it seems almost the rule that
>*you the user* has to decide whether to put something in Config.sys or in
>Autoexec.bat (eg, Smartdrv, Fastopen, et al).
>My question is obvious by now: How the heck am *I* supposed to know where to
>put what.  What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of putting these
>things in Config.sys/Autoexec.bat?

Generally device drivers and TSRs go in config.sys.

Really it all depends on what DOS you are using, what the program in question
does, and whether you are trying to load it high.

|  Tod Satterthwaite for mayor of Urbana.   |  Mike Landauer              |