Map drive letters to phyical drive numbers and partitions

Map drive letters to phyical drive numbers and partitions

Post by Patrick Hoonhou » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

How would someone with a drive letter query/translate to it's physical
drive number (80h, 81h) and partition entry.

Patrick.

Post by Norman L. DeFore » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Hello,

: How would someone with a drive letter query/translate to it's physical
: drive number (80h, 81h) and partition entry.

: Patrick.

Assuming that you have *only* two hard drives then:

C: = primary partition on drive 80h
D: = primary partition on drive 81h
E: = first extended partition found, searching drive 80h first
F: = next extended partition after E:, searching drive 80h first
  (unless E: was on drive 81h)

A possible physical drive vs logical drive layout is:

80h -- C:  E:  F:  G:
81h -- D:  H:  I:

With more than two physical drives, the order is a little more uncertain as
the extended partition sort order may be affected by the driver software
you install to make accessing more than two drives possible.

An actual case had this layout:

1st drive:  C: E: F:
2nd drive:  D: M:
3rd drive:  G: H: I: J:
4th drive:  K: L:

                Norman De Forest

--

1. Swap CDROM drive letter with a hard-drive partition drive letter

My computer came with one hard drive (C:) and one CDROM (D:), and a lot of
programs installed.  In addition, I have installed several more CDROM
programs.  Now, I added a second hard drive and partitioned it into two
partitions.  Unfortunately, now my CDROM drive letter is F: and my CD
programs won't work.  I'd like to move my CDROM drive letter back to D:.  I
am looking for a utility which will swap my F: CDROM drive letter with my
D: drive, so that my CDROM will be on drive D: and my hard drives will be
C:, E:, and F:.

Yes, I know that I can re-install the CDROM programs, but that is a lot of
work.  A utility as described above would be easier.
--

2. Xbox and Playstation

3. Mapping between partitions and drive letters?

4. The Computist Project update (Issue 11)

5. Drive Letter to Bios Number to Physical Drive

6. SAMBA on a NeXTstep system

7. SCSI ID Numbers Assigned, But No Dos Drive Letter Assigned.

8. Ascend/v.90

9. Disabling drive letter B: on one-floppy drive machines

10. Designating drive letters; when to partition

11. HELP assigning drive letters to partitions!

12. removable drives, drive letters

13. # Virtual drives/non-existent Drive letters under DOS? #