Getting data back to windows

Post by Thomas Jans » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:19:53

Hi,

I'm building an DOS application which performs diagnostic testing.
This can not be done in windows. However, I would like to be able
to manage / show the results in Windows.

Until recently I wrote a logfile to the applications floppy disk
and later opened it in Windows. However, I would like to run from a
bootable CD (Some systems don't have floppy drives) The ammount of
data is limited to 64Kb or so.  Does someone have any suggestions
how to get the data back to Windows  eg. is it possible to
"reserve memory" while rebooting / booting windows by faking a
ROM image etc.

Any help suggestions (even wild suggestions) are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Post by Robert Riebisc » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:09:13

> I'm building an DOS application which performs diagnostic testing.
> This can not be done in windows. However, I would like to be able
> to manage / show the results in Windows.

Are you talking about IDESCAN? ;-) Nice software!

--
Robert Riebisch
Bitte NUR in der Newsgroup antworten!

Post by Ted Davi » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:52:54

>Hi,

>I'm building an DOS application which performs diagnostic testing.
>This can not be done in windows. However, I would like to be able
>to manage / show the results in Windows.

>Until recently I wrote a logfile to the applications floppy disk
>and later opened it in Windows. However, I would like to run from a
>bootable CD (Some systems don't have floppy drives) The ammount of
>data is limited to 64Kb or so.  Does someone have any suggestions
>how to get the data back to Windows  eg. is it possible to
>"reserve memory" while rebooting / booting windows by faking a
>ROM image etc.

>Any help suggestions (even wild suggestions) are welcome.

The only reasonable suggestions when writable dsik space is not
available on the machine involve providing it through a network.  If a
writable HDD exists, then you can use that, but otherwise if there are
no floppies or other writable media, you need a network.  Keep in mind
that a cold boot causes memory tests, so nothing would be left.

Post by Thomas Jans » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:23:26

> > I'm building an DOS application which performs diagnostic testing.
> > This can not be done in windows. However, I would like to be able
> > to manage / show the results in Windows.

> Are you talking about IDESCAN? ;-) Nice software!

Yip I'am. I'm currently building a new graphical version
which combines adq, sided and the scanner. It should also
support 128GB+ drives. Since wtysoft is a hobby it can
take some time though :-) If you would like to become a
beta-tester or have ideas let me know.

Greetings,
Thomas

Post by Thomas Jans » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:30:59

> >Hi,

> >I'm building an DOS application which performs diagnostic testing.
> >This can not be done in windows. However, I would like to be able
> >to manage / show the results in Windows.

> >Until recently I wrote a logfile to the applications floppy disk
> >and later opened it in Windows. However, I would like to run from a
> >bootable CD (Some systems don't have floppy drives) The ammount of
> >data is limited to 64Kb or so.  Does someone have any suggestions
> >how to get the data back to Windows  eg. is it possible to
> >"reserve memory" while rebooting / booting windows by faking a
> >ROM image etc.

> >Any help suggestions (even wild suggestions) are welcome.

> The only reasonable suggestions when writable dsik space is not
> available on the machine involve providing it through a network.  If a
> writable HDD exists, then you can use that, but otherwise if there are
> no floppies or other writable media, you need a network.  Keep in mind
> that a cold boot causes memory tests, so nothing would be left.

Well supporting various network cards in DOS would be a larger project
then the actual software... If all HDD's were FAT/FAT32 I would just
allocate a dummy file from windows and overwrite it in (Free)DOS.
However, drives use NTFS etc. Concerning the memory test, It would be
possible to load the HDD's parttion sector and "simulate" a standard bootup.
This would leave the memory intact. In that case in theory it should
be possible to "mark" the memory leaving it intact My initial idea was
faking a ROM image. I guess a lot of DOS diagnostic packages could
use this feature..

Sincerely,

Thomas

Post by Robert Riebisc » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:39:05

> Yip I'am. I'm currently building a new graphical version
> which combines adq, sided and the scanner. It should also

OK. I'd like to become a beta tester then. ;-)

Quote:> support 128GB+ drives. Since wtysoft is a hobby it can
> take some time though :-) If you would like to become a

I see. http://www.bttr-software.de/ is a hobby too. *g*

Quote:> beta-tester or have ideas let me know.

Done.

--

Post by Thomas Jans » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:12:53

> > Yip I'am. I'm currently building a new graphical version
> > which combines adq, sided and the scanner. It should also

> OK. I'd like to become a beta tester then. ;-)

Ok :-) As stated earlier it could take quite some time.

In the mean time I could use some feedback on what to
show in the 'adq'/ Info part I'm not planning to perform tests
in it but to show ID sector data. (PIO modes UDMA etc.) What would
be sensible data for an 'average user'.

Quote:

> > support 128GB+ drives. Since wtysoft is a hobby it can
> > take some time though :-) If you would like to become a

> I see. http://www.bttr-software.de/ is a hobby too. *g*

A man needs a hobby ;-)

Quote:

> > beta-tester or have ideas let me know.

> Done.

What email adres would you prefer to use?

Greetings,
Thomas

BTW You can send mails in German. I'm used reading it (living at the
German border :-)), writing it is quite another story ;-)

1. Getting the cursor back in text mode...

Hi everyone,
            i'm programming with Borland C and in my program i'm using a
function to display chars directly to the video card. In this function i'm
using the pokeb(); function. But when I display a series of chars with a
background different from BLACK the cursor stays of that same colour. So the
problem is that the cursor is like invisible. Is there an assembly function
to get it back the default colour. I've tried to do a
_setcursortype(_NORMALCURSOR); but it won't help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yours truly, Luc B.

2. packet drops on repeaters?

3. Getting a call frame trace back

4. FP2002 / IE6 not showing new pages until Refreshed

5. backing up 4 mb of data on floppies disks

6. Uploading to Simtel

7. Swapping Data to XMS and back

8. System Configuration Utility

9. Problems with DBLESPACE, how can we get back our data ?

10. Getting out of windows - windows

11. Q: TMemo, setting and getting data ?!

12. Help getting data from external sensors

13. Getting offset of global data