DOS BATCH Problem

Post by Simple Questi » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 04:24:46

Hello,

I am trying to make a batch file in MSDOS.
But are missing to me functions like :
-echo with no line feed
-unix tail
-unix head

I am trying to find a solution that is only inside the batch, not
using external .com or .exe files.

Anyone thinks of a solution ?

thanks

DOS BATCH Problem

Post by Larry__Weis » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 07:02:11

> I am trying to make a batch file in MSDOS.
> But are missing to me functions like :
> -echo with no line feed
> -unix tail
> -unix head

> I am trying to find a solution that is only inside the batch, not
> using external .com or .exe files.

There is a solution to the echo with no line feed that uses
the Microsoft provided  DEBUG.EXE  as a file editor.

I can provide it is you want to see it.

It's going to be very difficult to provide for your needs using
only internal batch commands.

DOS BATCH Problem

Post by Ted Davi » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:26:10

Quote:>Hello,

>I am trying to make a batch file in MSDOS.
>But are missing to me functions like :
>-echo with no line feed
>-unix tail
>-unix head

>I am trying to find a solution that is only inside the batch, not
>using external .com or .exe files.

>Anyone thinks of a solution ?

You have just said that you know the functionality is missing from the
DOS system and that you don't want to add the functions.  Why are you
asking for a solution that you have already rejected?  Even in Unix,
head and tail are separate executable programs.

There are a couple of solutions to the missing Unix utilities problem:
install the Cygwin environment and use it instead of the native one,
or add a collection or two of ported Unix utilities to a directory in
the PATH.

DOS BATCH Problem

Post by Charles Dy » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:57:15

>> I am trying to make a batch file in MSDOS.
>> But are missing to me functions like :
>> -echo with no line feed
>> -unix tail
>> -unix head

>> I am trying to find a solution that is only inside the batch, not
>> using external .com or .exe files.

>There is a solution to the echo with no line feed that uses
>the Microsoft provided  DEBUG.EXE  as a file editor.

>I can provide it is you want to see it.

>It's going to be very difficult to provide for your needs using
>only internal batch commands.

.... of COMMAND.COM.

--

DOS BATCH Problem

Post by Timo Sal » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:41:53

> I am trying to make a batch file in MSDOS.
> But are missing to me functions like :
> -echo with no line feed
> -unix tail
> -unix head

  96) How to show the last N lines of a file using DOS batch files?
  99) Is it possible to echo without linefeed like the Unix echo -n?
 117) How do I get the 3rd word from the 5th line of a text file?

 235279 Dec 17 2002 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsbat.zip
 tsbat.zip Useful batch files and tricks, linked from /pc/ts, T.Salmi

   All the best, Timo

Timo's  FAQ  materials  at   http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

DOS BATCH Problem

Post by Joe Batc » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:38:00

> I am trying to make a batch file in MSDOS.
> But are missing to me functions like :
> -echo with no line feed

:: ASCII Assembler by Laura Fairhead
ECHO XPYP[*'CC-\1P\QX,=P,APZ5O!PQ2O~5aaI~}Ksx>%temp%.\echos.com
%temp%.\echos.com AAAAA
%temp%.\echos.com BBBBB
:: end demo

Quote:> -unix tail
> -unix head

> I am trying to find a solution that is only inside the batch, not
> using external .com or .exe files.

> Anyone thinks of a solution ?

Try:
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=+head+OR+tail+author:he...

Try also searching on ASCII assembler and Laura Fairhead

1. DOS batch running another DOS batch. how?

hi DOS experts,

I am very new to writing DOS batch scripts, and I have a simple
question.

I have written a simple DOS batch file in one directory.

This batch file, changes directory to one lower level directory,
and runs a batch file there.

then it will do the same for a second lower level directory.

But the problem, is that once the batch file in the first
lower level directory complets, the whole job stops, and
it never gets to go to the second directory.

it is like this:

main.bat
------
cd A
do.bat
cd ..   <---- this line never gets run!
cd B
do.bat
---------

A/do.bat run OK. but then the whole thing stops!

I do
main.bat

to run it.

am i calling the scripts wrong?

thanks,
Bob

2. Voice Recognition: Accurate?

3. DOS batch file problem

4. WE310395 - transparant GIf - printing oddity.

5. HELP!! DOS BATCH PROGRAMMING PROBLEM!!

6. Alternatives to ed in CP/M-86

7. Batch FTP in DOS - can it be done?

8. Problem With NAT and EIGRP

9. Redirecting batch files from batch files doesn't work

10. batch files calling other batch files

11. Calling another batch file without exiting/setting environment vars by batch file ?

12. how to write a batch file to run other batch files

13. Edit a batch from another batch ?