Getting a modem to dial in DOS

Getting a modem to dial in DOS

Post by Inspecto » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 02:03:46



Sorry, I'm new to this, so please be kind. I'm trying to create a batch file
to initialize a modem and dial a phone # captured from a field in a Q&A 5.0
database program.
What DOS command string will get a modem to dial a phone #? Simple
redirection of output?
Internal, external, or Winmodem make a difference?
I'd be grateful for some guidance.

Tom

 
 
 

Getting a modem to dial in DOS

Post by Alex Russel » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 02:27:16



Quote:> Sorry, I'm new to this, so please be kind. I'm trying to create a batch
file
> to initialize a modem and dial a phone # captured from a field in a Q&A
5.0
> database program.
> What DOS command string will get a modem to dial a phone #? Simple
> redirection of output?
> Internal, external, or Winmodem make a difference?
> I'd be grateful for some guidance.

> Tom

I'd try using a program like telix, which has a built in scripting language,
to do this. Telix is shareware - google for it.
http://mcc.com.au/web/telixdos.htm

If you have a "winmodem" many DOS serial communication programs will not
work. Internal modems sometimes use non-standard interrupts and ports which
means you may have to configure your comms program to use the non-standard
setup.

You maybe able to use a conbination of  "mode comX...." and the echo command
in a standard batch file to do this also.

Info on using echo
http://www.hal-pc.org/journal/12communications.html

Info on the mode command
http://www.csulb.edu/~murdock/mode.html

--
Alex Russell


 
 
 

Getting a modem to dial in DOS

Post by Jim Back » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 03:56:09



rolled up his sleeves and typed:

Quote:> Sorry, I'm new to this, so please be kind. I'm trying to create a batch file
> to initialize a modem and dial a phone # captured from a field in a Q&A 5.0
> database program.
> What DOS command string will get a modem to dial a phone #? Simple
> redirection of output?
> Internal, external, or Winmodem make a difference?
> I'd be grateful for some guidance.

The commands that you need are often referred to as the Hayes command
set, although other manufacturers use similar commands. The manual for
your modem should give full details. Probably hidden on a CD that came
with the modem.

Typically a dial command might look something like this:

atdt02912345678

where at is a general command header, dt tells the modem to dial using
tone dialling and 02912345678 is the number to be dialled.

--
Jim Backus  OS/2 user
bona fide replies to jimb-thecirclethingy-jita-dp-demon-dp-co-dp-uk
or remove "NOT" from address
remove dashes and make the obvious substitutions for valid email
address

 
 
 

Getting a modem to dial in DOS

Post by Alex » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:09:52


use:

echo ATDT912345678 >COMx

where 912345678 is the number you want to dial and redirect the output to
COMx (COM1 or COM2, which
ever port the modem is on)

echo +++ATH >COMx

should drop the connection at any time.

Alex


Quote:> Sorry, I'm new to this, so please be kind. I'm trying to create a batch
file
> to initialize a modem and dial a phone # captured from a field in a Q&A
5.0
> database program.
> What DOS command string will get a modem to dial a phone #? Simple
> redirection of output?
> Internal, external, or Winmodem make a difference?
> I'd be grateful for some guidance.

> Tom

 
 
 

Getting a modem to dial in DOS

Post by Franc Zabka » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 20:44:14


On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:03:46 -0500, "Inspector"

Quote:>Sorry, I'm new to this, so please be kind. I'm trying to create a batch file
>to initialize a modem and dial a phone # captured from a field in a Q&A 5.0
>database program.
>What DOS command string will get a modem to dial a phone #? Simple
>redirection of output?
>Internal, external, or Winmodem make a difference?
>I'd be grateful for some guidance.

>Tom

If you have an external serial modem or a full hardware internal
modem, ie one that looks to DOS like a regular COM port, then you can
try the following. I'm assuming that you want to make voice calls
using a regular telephone, but would like your modem to automate the
dialing process.

echo Dialing ...
echo AT L3 M2 DT 12345678; > comx
echo Waiting for answer or busy ...
echo To talk, pick up the handset and then hit any key on PC keyboard
echo Otherwise, to abort on busy, just type any key
pause > nul
echo ATH > comx

Note that L3 and M2 turn on the modem's speaker at max volume. Note,
also, that the comma in the dial string instructs the modem not to
attempt a connection but to return immediately to command mode after
dialing.

- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

 
 
 

Getting a modem to dial in DOS

Post by Franc Zabka » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 21:18:56


On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 21:44:14 +1000, Franc Zabkar

>On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:03:46 -0500, "Inspector"

>>Sorry, I'm new to this, so please be kind. I'm trying to create a batch file
>>to initialize a modem and dial a phone # captured from a field in a Q&A 5.0
>>database program.
>>What DOS command string will get a modem to dial a phone #? Simple
>>redirection of output?
>>Internal, external, or Winmodem make a difference?
>>I'd be grateful for some guidance.

>>Tom

>If you have an external serial modem or a full hardware internal
>modem, ie one that looks to DOS like a regular COM port, then you can
>try the following. I'm assuming that you want to make voice calls
>using a regular telephone, but would like your modem to automate the
>dialing process.


>echo Dialing ...
>echo AT L3 M2 DT 12345678; > comx
>echo Waiting for answer or busy ...
>echo To talk, pick up the handset and then hit any key on PC keyboard
>echo Otherwise, to abort on busy, just type any key
>pause > nul
>echo ATH > comx

>Note that L3 and M2 turn on the modem's speaker at max volume. Note,
>also, that the comma in the dial string instructs the modem not to

Oops, that should read "semicolon", not "comma".

Quote:>attempt a connection but to return immediately to command mode after
>dialing.

>- Franc Zabkar

- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.