".inf" vs ".info" in djdev201.zip "info/dir" file

".inf" vs ".info" in djdev201.zip "info/dir" file

Post by Peter J. Farley I » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi Eli,

I recently re-installed V2.01 and many other packages from the zips
(Win95/DOS box, LFN=y), trying to resolve another (not relevant here)
problem.  In trying to use info to research some command-line options
for utilities, I discovered that the "dir" file as delivered in the
djdev201.zip package (almost) consistantly uses an extension of ".inf"
(texinfo itself is the only exception, it has no extension at all),
while the following packages install info files with an extension of
".info":

flex
gawk
libgpp
make
utils
fileutils
textutils
sh-utils

Specifically, these files get installed into my info subdirectory by
the other packages I have installed:

fileutils.info
flex.info
gawk.info
m4.info
make.info
sh-utils.info
tar.info
textutils.info
autoconf.info
gxxFAQ.info
gperf.info
libgpp.info
standards.info

I am willing to figure out how to use "install-info" from the texinfo
docs, but is there a later version of the "dir" file that reflects
this discrepancy in file naming conventions between info and the
various packages?

If this is already answered anywhere in available sources, just point
me at it to RTFM and I will.

TIA for any help you can provide.

".inf" vs ".info" in djdev201.zip "info/dir" file

Post by Eli Zaretski » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> In trying to use info to research some command-line options
> for utilities, I discovered that the "dir" file as delivered in the
> djdev201.zip package (almost) consistantly uses an extension of ".inf"
> (texinfo itself is the only exception, it has no extension at all),
> while the following packages install info files with an extension of
> ".info":

This is correct.  Some packages use .inf, others use .info, and still
others don't have an extension at all.  The reasons are mostly
historical.  Is there a problem somewhere with these extensions?
AFAIK, all of them should work, at least in the latest release of
Texinfo 3.12.

Quote:> I am willing to figure out how to use "install-info" from the texinfo
> docs, but is there a later version of the "dir" file that reflects
> this discrepancy in file naming conventions between info and the
> various packages?

There's no discrepancy.  Info should cope with any of these names.  If
it doesn't please describe the specific case where it fails.

".inf" vs ".info" in djdev201.zip "info/dir" file

Post by Peter J. Farley I » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

<Snipped>

Quote:>There's no discrepancy.  Info should cope with any of these names.  If
>it doesn't please describe the specific case where it fails.

OK, try "flex.inf" in the djdev201 "dir" file.  After flex (from
flx254b.zip) installs "flex.info", pressing enter when at the "Flex:
(flex.inf)." line gives the error message "flex.inf: No such file or
directory (ENOENT)".

Ditto for gawk.inf and the others I mentioned (particularly the
multi-utility packages like textutils, fileutils and sh-utils).  Same
error message, with (ENOENT) as the error code.

It seems as if when the "dir" file *specifies* the extension as
".inf", it cannot find it when the actual file name is ".info".  Maybe
the filenames should all be entered *without* extensions?  Would info
find them then?

Answer: Yes.  Tested with flex 2.5.4 and textutils 1.22 and texinfo
3.9 [GNU Info (Texinfo 3.9) 2.16].

Maybe because the 8.3 name of, for example, "flex.info" under Win95
LFN conventions is "flex~1.inf", which does not match "flex.inf"?
Just a guess on my part.

".inf" vs ".info" in djdev201.zip "info/dir" file

Post by SE » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Maybe because the 8.3 name of, for example, "flex.info" under Win95
> LFN conventions is "flex~1.inf", which does not match "flex.inf"?
> Just a guess on my part.

Yes, if you uncompress with a W95 program you must use LFN=Y or a lot of
things will fail.
I think the distributions *must* be "8.3 bullet-proof", using .info doesn't
help. Same is for libstdcxx.a.

SET
------------------------------------ 0 --------------------------------
Visit my home page: http://set-soft.home.ml.org/
or
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/6552/
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)

ICQ: 2951574
Address: Curapaligue 2124, Caseros, 3 de Febrero
Buenos Aires, (1678), ARGENTINA
TE: +(541) 759 0013

Post by SE » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > I think the distributions *must* be "8.3 bullet-proof", using .info doesn't
> > help.

> The problems are in DIR, not with the .info files themselves.  DIR is
> what makes all these distributions not LFN-safe.

Ok, but that isn't the case of libstdcxx.a that looks like libstd~1.a for
people using WinZip and LFN=N.

SET
------------------------------------ 0 --------------------------------
Visit my home page: http://set-soft.home.ml.org/
or
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/6552/
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)

ICQ: 2951574
Address: Curapaligue 2124, Caseros, 3 de Febrero
Buenos Aires, (1678), ARGENTINA
TE: +(541) 759 0013

".inf" vs ".info" in djdev201.zip "info/dir" file

Post by Eli Zaretski » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I think the distributions *must* be "8.3 bullet-proof", using .info doesn't
> help.

The problems are in DIR, not with the .info files themselves.  DIR is
what makes all these distributions not LFN-safe.

".inf" vs ".info" in djdev201.zip "info/dir" file

Post by Eli Zaretski » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Ok, but that isn't the case of libstdcxx.a that looks like libstd~1.a for
> people using WinZip and LFN=N.

These problems should be gone when DJGPP v2.02 ships with LFN=y on
DJGPP.ENV.

IMHO, it is not correct to truncate long file names because of these
causes.  It will break more programs than it would help.

".inf" vs ".info" in djdev201.zip "info/dir" file

Post by Eli Zaretski » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >There's no discrepancy.  Info should cope with any of these names.  If
> >it doesn't please describe the specific case where it fails.

> OK, try "flex.inf" in the djdev201 "dir" file.  After flex (from
> flx254b.zip) installs "flex.info", pressing enter when at the "Flex:
> (flex.inf)." line gives the error message "flex.inf: No such file or
> directory (ENOENT)".

You didn't tell you were going through DIR.  I thought you were
invoking Info like this:

         info -f flex

This should work (in version 3.12) no matter whether you have flex.inf
or flex.info.

As to your problem, its cause is a combination of 2:

   1) The stock DIR distributed with DJGPP v2.01 is not safe in the
      LFN environment.  All the .inf and .info extensions should *not*
      appear in it literally.  Just remove all the extensions,
      leaving, e.g. "Flex: (flex).", and it will work.  (DJGPP v2.02
      removes all those extensions.)

   2) You are working on Windows 9X, but you haven't turned off the
      numeric tails.  If the numeric tails were disabled, the short
      name of flex.info would be flex.inf, and Info would find it.
      Right now, you probably have flex~1.inf or something.

1. "man" files to "info".

I have several help files to be read on unix machines with "man
something". Can somebody tell me how to convert these files of form
something.1, something.3 something.5, etc., to adequation files to be
read by info.exe.

 Of course I do not wand to do it manually!

Thanks (please reply directly at me, I'm not presently on the djgpp list
(too many messages...)

  Daniel Taupin, Physique des Solides, Univ. Paris-Sud, 91405 ORSAY

  Tl: (33)1.69.15.60.79, Fax: (33)1.69.15.60.86, home/fax:
(33)1.60.10.26.44

2. fax from each workstation

3. Saving "watch" & "break" info- in rhide

4. "program" package doesn't work in LaTeX2e; can't find "moreverb"

5. Incompatible "/" vs "\" behavior - 4OS2 vs CMD.EXE

6. Input by PrePress Professionals needed.

7. "new" operator vs. malloc; "virtual memory exceeded in 'new' " error

8. Create Windows Service using VB.NET

9. How to "MORE" multiple files at once - How to "FIND" using wildcards

10. Q: renaming files with special characters in it, like "[", "]"

11. Can't have files named "aux.???", "com.???" !?!?!?

12. Need "IO"&"MSDOS" files 6.22

13. Q: diff. between "pre-emptive multithreading library" and a "thread package."