Max. Partition V6.22 DOS?

Post by phil » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:21:27

Quote:> What is the maximum partition size supported by
> Microsoft's MSDOS v6.22?
> I am assuming it is small compared to today's hard disks.
> Is there any way to increase it? Is it determined by
> the master boot record?
> //

it's simply a matter of the file system
msdos6.22 can only use a fat16 partition
thus 2 gigs  ...however you may 24 seperate partitions if you wish

if you want to run dos
but use the larger partition size allowed by fat32
there are other versions of dos that can do this

you could use the dos from win95b/c  or win98
i also beleive there are versions other than microsoft that support running
on fat32

Max. Partition V6.22 DOS?

Post by Ralf A. Quin » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:38:05

>> What is the maximum partition size supported by
>> Microsoft's MSDOS v6.22?
>> I am assuming it is small compared to today's hard disks.
>> Is there any way to increase it? Is it determined by
>> the master boot record?
>> //

>it's simply a matter of the file system
>msdos6.22 can only use a fat16 partition
>thus 2 gigs  ...however you may 24 seperate partitions if you wish

Not quite right. Yes, the maximum size for a primary partition is 2GB.
The maximum size of an extended partition is limited by the size that
is left below 8GB, as this is the physical limit up to which MS-DOS
6.22 can access data.
Within the extended partition, the maximum size of a "logical drive"
is again 2GB....

And no, there is no way to increase these limits.

Ralf

Max. Partition V6.22 DOS?

Post by phil » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 03:43:16

> >> What is the maximum partition size supported by
> >> Microsoft's MSDOS v6.22?
> >> I am assuming it is small compared to today's hard disks.
> >> Is there any way to increase it? Is it determined by
> >> the master boot record?
> >> //

> >it's simply a matter of the file system
> >msdos6.22 can only use a fat16 partition
> >thus 2 gigs  ...however you may 24 seperate partitions if you wish

> Not quite right. Yes, the maximum size for a primary partition is 2GB.
> The maximum size of an extended partition is limited by the size that
> is left below 8GB, as this is the physical limit up to which MS-DOS
> 6.22 can access data.
> Within the extended partition, the maximum size of a "logical drive"
> is again 2GB....

> And no, there is no way to increase these limits.

> Ralf

thanks for the correction i beleive i was thinking win95a/ dos7

Max. Partition V6.22 DOS?

Post by z » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:25:15

143062.news.dfncis.de:

>> >it's simply a matter of the file system
>> >msdos6.22 can only use a fat16 partition
>> >thus 2 gigs  ...however you may 24 seperate partitions if you wish

>> Not quite right. Yes, the maximum size for a primary partition is 2GB.
>> The maximum size of an extended partition is limited by the size that
>> is left below 8GB, as this is the physical limit up to which MS-DOS
>> 6.22 can access data.
>> Within the extended partition, the maximum size of a "logical drive"
>> is again 2GB....

>> And no, there is no way to increase these limits.

>> Ralf

> thanks for the correction i beleive i was thinking win95a/ dos7

95a is the same limitations because of fat 16 , 95 osr2 95b and 95c osr 2.1
then you can go up to 30 gig

98 can support up 130gig with a patch applied to it as that is what I run

Max. Partition V6.22 DOS?

Post by phil » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:21:36

Quote:> > snip<<
> > thanks for the correction i beleive i was thinking win95a/ dos7

> 95a is the same limitations because of fat 16 , 95 osr2 95b and 95c osr
2.1
> then you can go up to 30 gig

yes win95a is fat16 only
but the os can "see" more than 8 gigs  (2 gigs per partition of course)

Max. Partition V6.22 DOS?

Post by Forres » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:12:12

Quote:

> 95a is the same limitations because of fat 16 , 95 osr2 95b and 95c osr 2.1
> then you can go up to 30 gig

> 98 can support up 130gig with a patch applied to it as that is what I run

I am interested in your comment about running Win98's DOS. How do you
separate DOS from Windows? Are you able to start up in DOS without
first starting up Windows?
//
   Forrest

Max. Partition V6.22 DOS?

Post by phil » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:16:39

Quote:

> > 95a is the same limitations because of fat 16 , 95 osr2 95b and 95c osr
2.1
> > then you can go up to 30 gig

> > 98 can support up 130gig with a patch applied to it as that is what I
run

> I am interested in your comment about running Win98's DOS. How do you
> separate DOS from Windows? Are you able to start up in DOS without
> first starting up Windows?
> //
>    Forrest

all you need to do is edit  msdos.sys
and under     options

change the line to read

boot gui = 0

then you can  delete all of windows except your "dos"
found in windows\command

Max. Partition V6.22 DOS?

I believe Win95a officially supports only 1024 cyulinders (approximately 8 GB), but I once had a PC that would recognize more than this when booting to windows, but would not recognize the extended partition if windows was restarted without rebooting.

--
                   Mike Walsh
            West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Max. Partition V6.22 DOS?

Post by Sami S. Sihvone » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:45:01

>> I am interested in your comment about running Win98's DOS. How do you
>> separate DOS from Windows? Are you able to start up in DOS without
>> first starting up Windows?
>all you need to do is edit  msdos.sys
>and under     options
>change the line to read
>boot gui = 0
>then you can  delete all of windows except your "dos"
>found in windows\command

You need also himem.sys, emm386.exe and smartdrv.exe from c:\windows
directory. And if the harddisk requires double buffering, taking that
dblbuff.sys file and adding it to config.sys (device=...) is also a
good idea.

--
"I believe in energy, everything is energy. And therefore sometimes
 magic can be created if somebody is open to letting energy do what

                     --Tori Amos, http://sihvonen.info/tori-amos.html

Max. Partition V6.22 DOS?

Post by proceru » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 06:57:52

Quote:

> > 95a is the same limitations because of fat 16 , 95 osr2 95b and 95c osr
2.1
> > then you can go up to 30 gig

> > 98 can support up 130gig with a patch applied to it as that is what I
run

> I am interested in your comment about running Win98's DOS. How do you
> separate DOS from Windows? Are you able to start up in DOS without
> first starting up Windows?
> //
>    Forrest

Just Start, Shut Down, Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode.  You can change
the properties of this by following the instructions below and applying them
to the Exit to DOS shortcut you'll find in your Windows directory.

Or right-click Windows\Command.com and select "Create Shortcut".  Drag the
shortcut wherever it'll be useful.  Right-click the shortcut and select
Properties, Program then Advanced.  Check MS-DOS mode.  Check Specify a new
configuration.  Fill in config.sys and autoexec.bat as necessary.

You can do this for any program under Windows 95/98.  I've done so since
95's beta.  It's kinda the whole point of these DOS-based GUIs to me.
They're the best and most flexible DOS program launchers ever made.

procerus

1. msbackup v6.22 vs v6.0

I have backed up some important data with msbackup from DOS 6.0.  I
have since upgraded to 6.22, and I am unable to restore my data.  I
tried using the DOS 6.0 version (the one that I originaly used), but
the program informs me that it cannot read from a currupt disk.  It
does this with all my disks.

Does anyone know a work-around or a fix?

Thanks in advance,

TreeTop

2. Email

3. Download sites for DOS v6.22

4. Windows Protection Error

5. NetBIOS on DOS V6.22

6. Printing to an HP Deskjet 500

7. Looking for MS Dos V6.22

8. DataGrid / DataTable

9. help with using interlnk in DOS v6.22

10. NetBIOS on DOS V6.22

11. Upgrading DOS v2.11 to v6.22

12. Need the 2 v6.22 SYS Files!