Please help! Recursive directory structure!

Please help! Recursive directory structure!

Post by David H. Millm » Thu, 27 Jul 1995 04:00:00

<I have already checked for viruses>

Here's me problem, stated as briefly as possible:

I have a directory with no name in the root of C:
When I boot up, this directory is current.
There are no files in this directory when I type dir.
   -there is no autoexec.bat in this directory
my prompt tells me (after prompt $p$g) that I am in the root,
but a directory listing shows 2 items:  .   <dir>
                                        ..  <dir>
If I cd ..  I get to the real root, in which I find my autoexec.bat etc...

XTreePro Gold shows a normal directory structure containing an
abnormal directory with a blank name which contains only a copy
of the directory structure in the root, but no files in any of
the directories, and nothing in the copy of itself.

c:\
|_____                 | these two have blank names
|     |-----           |
|     |-----batch
|     |-----1
|     |-----2
|     |-----3

|-----batch
|-----1
|-----2
|-----3

My virus checker got to that directory and recursively
checked the entire disk 4 or 5 times before I hit Esc.

It's running Novell DOS and Stacker.

If you have any idea(s) PLEASE drop me a note!

I have absolutely no idea what caused it, and experienced
no symptoms until one day I booted it up and it was like this.

Thanks for reading this..

--
David Millman

Please help! Recursive directory structure!

Post by J S Plui » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>XTreePro Gold shows a normal directory structure containing an
>abnormal directory with a blank name which contains only a copy
>of the directory structure in the root, but no files in any of
>the directories, and nothing in the copy of itself.

Well it looks like something screwed up pretty badly ! Probably
something got cross-linked at one time or another, but to tell
you the truth I've never seen anything as weird as this. Wat
version of Stacker are you running ?
Have you tried running CHKDSK or Norton Disk Doctor ?

---
Baz.