How to find out how much slack space on HD

How to find out how much slack space on HD

Post by Gary » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

This may be the wrong place to post this, but I was wondering if
anyone knows of a shareware program to tell me how much slack space is
on my hard drive.  It is only 106meg so I understand it is only using
2k clusters but I was wondering how much of it is really being wasted.

Thanks for your time.

Post by Tim » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>This may be the wrong place to post this, but I was wondering if
>anyone knows of a shareware program to tell me how much slack space is
>on my hard drive.  It is only 106meg so I understand it is only using
>2k clusters but I was wondering how much of it is really being wasted.

I found a recommend for a freeware DOS utility that'll do what you want at:

    http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~an448/HomePage.freeware.utils.html

It says:

    "Wasted - Shows disk space wasted due to partition size.
     ftp://ftp.coast.net/Coast/msdos/diskutil/wasted20.zip"

Just tried it. It's small. It works. Even has decent documentation, too.

Tim

Tucson, AZ  USA

Post by Paul Husta » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>This may be the wrong place to post this, but I was wondering if
>anyone knows of a shareware program to tell me how much slack space is
>on my hard drive.  It is only 106meg so I understand it is only using
>2k clusters but I was wondering how much of it is really being wasted.

>Thanks for your time.

There's an executable named 'waste.exe' I forget where I got it, maybe on
a BBS or something. I'm sure it's available somewhere via FTP. If you can't
find it, e-mail me, and I'll upload it to my WWW directory.
here is a screenful of what you get when the file is executed:

=======================CUT HERE================================================
=
=Let's check your disk's wasted space...            Glosz 1994 (CIS 72633,1646)
=Your drive C has 512 bytes per sector and 16 sectors per cluster
=Therefore its cluster size is 8192 bytes
=
=Every file on this disk must use a whole number of clusters
=
=Total Size of all files:         319,576,038 bytes
=Total disk space taken:          351,379,456 bytes
=Total Wasted Bytes:               31,803,418 bytes
=Number of files:                       6,266 files
=Slack percentage:                        9.1%
=
=In other words...
=This disk has 6,266 files which take up a total of 319,576,038 bytes
=
=But since each file must use an integral number of clusters,
=The ACTUAL disk space used is 351,379,456 bytes
=So, you are wasting a total of 31,803,418 bytes ( 9.1% of the space used)
=
=
=LOVE
=
=c:\>
====================CUT HERE==================================================

--
Paul Hustava

Post by Baptis » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>>anyone knows of a shareware program to tell me how much slack space is
>>on my hard drive.  It is only 106meg so I understand it is only using
>There's an executable named 'waste.exe' I forget where I got it, maybe on
>a BBS or something. I'm sure it's available somewhere via FTP. If you can't

  I want to know which are the directory that slack all my disk space.
I have found SpyDir and WinHog on the Net that are supposed to scan
your disk and tell you that, but I both experienced trouble using
them.
  Would any one of you know a fine share or freeware for this.

TV shows, Draculea and others on http://www.laas.fr/~marcel/hobbies/hobbies.html
--
``I know every nut and bolt and cog--I built it with my own hands!''
--No.6, concerning his car; Many Happy Returns

How to find out how much slack space on HD

Post by Gordon A. L » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

begin 644 DIRS.COM
<uuencoded_portion_removed>

`
end

How to find out how much slack space on HD

Post by Gordon A. L » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>>>anyone knows of a shareware program to tell me how much slack space is
>>>on my hard drive.  It is only 106meg so I understand it is only using

>>There's an executable named 'waste.exe' I forget where I got it, maybe on
>>a BBS or something. I'm sure it's available somewhere via FTP. If you can't

>  I want to know which are the directory that slack all my disk space.
>I have found SpyDir and WinHog on the Net that are supposed to scan
>your disk and tell you that, but I both experienced trouble using
>them.
>  Would any one of you know a fine share or freeware for this.

Try this - DIRS.COM ; run it from a basic DOS prompt.
-----------------
Gordon A. Lew

Post by Norman L. DeFore » Fri, 07 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: >This may be the wrong place to post this, but I was wondering if
: >anyone knows of a shareware program to tell me how much slack space is
: >on my hard drive.  It is only 106meg so I understand it is only using
: >2k clusters but I was wondering how much of it is really being wasted.
: >
: >Thanks for your time.

: There's an executable named 'waste.exe' I forget where I got it, maybe on
: a BBS or something. I'm sure it's available somewhere via FTP. If you can't
: find it, e-mail me, and I'll upload it to my WWW directory.
: here is a screenful of what you get when the file is executed:

: =======================CUT HERE================================================
: =
[...]

: --
: Paul Hustava

Another source of wasted space is subdirectories.  If you put 2000 files
in a subdirectory it will need 32 bytes for each directory entry (more if
you use Windows 95 long file names) for a total of 64000 bytes (rounded
up to the next full cluster).  If you then delete all or most of
the files, the now unused directory space is not freed.  It remains an
allocated part of your directory until you use a defragmentation
programme that can free up that space or until you move whatever files
are left in the directory to someplace else and remove the directory.

And, since directories don't have length specifiers in *their* directory
entry, the space they use is usually not reported.

                Norman De Forest

                http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/Profile.html
                (A Speech Friendly Site)

Q.  Which is the greater problem in the world today, ignorance or apathy?
A.  I don't know and I couldn't care less.

1. Help finding how much free space is on HD???????

I'm a newbie and I'm trying to make a small program which simply displays
the amount of free space on my hard drive.  But all my manuals and books
keep jabbering about is RAM!  I'm goin' nuts!!  Somebody please help me.
If you know how to access HD info please e-mail me at:

...or leave me message in this NG.

Thank you kindly!

2. 520STfm

3. Help finding how much free space is on HD

4. DOS game settings (Star Trek)

5. SLACK SPACE

6. machine tests?

7. Slack Space

8. odbc crashes local COM Server

9. File Slack Space

10. .BTM to save hd space...

11. CDROM: virtual read-write using HD space

12. Mysterious HD space loss, help!