PreGap problem with DiscRecording

Post by Martin Herin » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:36:15

Hi,

I want to write a VCD from two Images with the disc recording api from
apple. Therefore I need to set a PreGap of 0 frames in front of the first
track. But this seems to be impossible. My Code:

ImageDataTrack* track1 = [[ImageDataTrack alloc] initWithProducer:prod1];
[track1 setPreGap:[DRMSF msfWithFrames:0]];

This results in an error. The burn status dictionary contents the string:
"There was an error producing data for the burn." for the
DRErrorStatusErrorStringKey. When I change the pregap to 150 frames. All
works fine. The cd can be written, but it is in the wrong format obviously.

What is the problem? What can I do?

Thank you for answering.

Martin

PreGap problem with DiscRecording

Post by Michael As » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:12:01

Quote:> Hi,

> I want to write a VCD from two Images with the disc recording api from
> apple. Therefore I need to set a PreGap of 0 frames in front of the first
> track. But this seems to be impossible. My Code:

> ImageDataTrack* track1 = [[ImageDataTrack alloc] initWithProducer:prod1];
> [track1 setPreGap:[DRMSF msfWithFrames:0]];

> This results in an error. The burn status dictionary contents the string:
> "There was an error producing data for the burn." for the
> DRErrorStatusErrorStringKey. When I change the pregap to 150 frames. All
> works fine. The cd can be written, but it is in the wrong format obviously.

> What is the problem? What can I do?

I can't answer your question, but I would recommend that you re-post
this to a comp.sys.mac.programmer.* group; they are much, much more
on-topic for this question. This group is for discussion of the
Objective-C language; contrary to popular opinion, Objective-C is
actually used outside of Mac OS X, and so discussion of vendor-specific
libraries is considered off-topic. Not to mention, lots of people who
know Cocoa and the associated APIs hang out in the mac groups but not in
here, so you'll have a better chance of an answer there.

Post by Frank Mitchel » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:17:01

> Contrary to popular opinion, Objective-C is
> actually used outside of Mac OS X

OK, this will probably start yet another flame war, but I just gotta ask

What active non-Mac projects use Objective-C?  Is there a list
somewhere?  I've Googled a few times, and all I can come up with are
Swarm, Gnustep, GCC, and POC.  (Not counting dead links ...)
Sourceforge has a number that seem to be moribund, and I was having
trouble filtering out Mac-based projects from Freshmeat's Objective-C
list.

--
Frank Mitchell (frankm each bayarea period net)

Post by Paul Mitch » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:52:04

> > Contrary to popular opinion, Objective-C is actually used outside of Mac
> > OS X

> OK, this will probably start yet another flame war, but I just gotta ask

> What active non-Mac projects use Objective-C?  Is there a list somewhere?
> I've Googled a few times, and all I can come up with are Swarm, Gnustep,
> GCC, and POC. [..]

Oh, is that all? :-)

Post by Michael As » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:37:51

> > Contrary to popular opinion, Objective-C is
> > actually used outside of Mac OS X

> OK, this will probably start yet another flame war, but I just gotta ask

> What active non-Mac projects use Objective-C?  Is there a list
> somewhere?  I've Googled a few times, and all I can come up with are
> Swarm, Gnustep, GCC, and POC.  (Not counting dead links ...)
> Sourceforge has a number that seem to be moribund, and I was having
> trouble filtering out Mac-based projects from Freshmeat's Objective-C
> list.

Don't worry about flame wars, we're quite used to them. :)

Anyway, you already have a decent list. And note that everything you've
listed is stuff that's used to make other software.

Swarm is probably used for hundreds of projects, but by their nature
many or most of them are not publically available. The one I worked on
is owned by Ohio State University and will probably die there.

For GNUStep, see this URL for a list of software:

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/All%20GNUstep%20Applications

This list is not huge, but it's not bad either, especially for a "dead
language".

GCC is of course the Basis for Everything ObjC. Although our local POC
author will no doubt object to this statement, and I'm sure there are
some projects out there using it, but GCC is the de facto standard.
Although GCC is not written in ObjC itself, so I'm not sure if we ought
to count it.

And finally POC, which as far as I can tell is mostly used to compile
POC, but any corrections or additions to this list would be welcome.

Of course, compared to C or C++, ObjC is pretty small. But it's by no
means platform-specific, nor is it dead or dying.

Post by David Ste » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:56:18

> GCC is of course the Basis for Everything ObjC. Although our local POC
> author will no doubt object to this statement,

Objective-C is not GCC specific, indeed.

Do you think GCC is the Basis for Everything C ?

Post by edalytica » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:05:26

>> Contrary to popular opinion, Objective-C is
>> actually used outside of Mac OS X

> OK, this will probably start yet another flame war, but I just gotta
> ask ....

> What active non-Mac projects use Objective-C?  Is there a list
> somewhere?  I've Googled a few times, and all I can come up with are
> Swarm, Gnustep, GCC, and POC.  (Not counting dead links ...)
> Sourceforge has a number that seem to be moribund, and I was having
> trouble filtering out Mac-based projects from Freshmeat's Objective-C
> list.

Wasn't Quake written in Objective-C?  I'm sure there are several others
that you don't even realize are written in Obj-C.  I know I don't know
what language every program I use is written in, especially closed
source programs.

Peace,
Ed

PreGap problem with DiscRecording

Post by Larry Co » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:30:12

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:05:26 GMT

> Wasn't Quake written in Objective-C?

If we speak about the same thing (the ID Sofware game), browsing the
source [1] released few years ago shows only C and ASM. It's not the
first time I read that Quake was written in ObjC, and I still wonder
why. If someone can explain...

[1] http://www.quakeforge.net/files/q1source.zip

--
Larry Cow

Post by edalytica » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:35:55

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:05:26 GMT

>> Wasn't Quake written in Objective-C?

> If we speak about the same thing (the ID Sofware game), browsing the
> source [1] released few years ago shows only C and ASM. It's not the
> first time I read that Quake was written in ObjC, and I still wonder
> why. If someone can explain...

> [1] http://www.quakeforge.net/files/q1source.zip

According to this:

Quake was written in Objective-C.  Perhaps it was first written using
the language and then rewritten and released in c.  I have no idea if
this is what happened, it's a possible though.

Peace,
Eddie

PreGap problem with DiscRecording

Post by Larry Co » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:14:50

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:35:55 GMT

> Perhaps it was first written using  the language and then rewritten
> and released in c.

That's what I thought at first, but it sounds a bit weird: at that
time, there were no MacOSX, NeXT was almost dead, so why "bothering"
with Objc??

But I found another explanation, in the following messages:

http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/archive/a_june96/0008.html
http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/archive/a_june96/0009.html

It suggests that a Quake Editor (the first one?), QuakeEd, were made
using ObjC (and running on NeXT). Knowing that Quake was closed-source
at that time, and seeing that editor coming to NeXT first maybe drove
some people to confusion, or something like that...

I'll look more for _the_ answer :)

--
Larry Cow

Post by Michael As » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:53:28

> > GCC is of course the Basis for Everything ObjC. Although our local POC
> > author will no doubt object to this statement,

> Objective-C is not GCC specific, indeed.

> Do you think GCC is the Basis for Everything C ?

There are lots and lots of other C compilers out there. Name another
ObjC compiler. Now that you've named POC, name another ObjC compiler
besides those two. Now name some projects that use POC.

Of course you do not *need* GCC to compile ObjC, but it is the de facto
standard as I said. Its share of ObjC is enormous compared to everything
else.

1. Problem with GDI & sin() (double & int problems)

sorry, i forgot the subject.. i am a lil bit tired and busy..

hello, i got a problem,
i want to draw the graph of mathematical functions like sin or cos or
parabel's (  f(x) = x^2 ).
i use a metafile object with class CPaintDC.

CPaintDC dc(GetDlgItem(IDC_SURFACE));

the point (0;0) is in the left up corner, thats ok....

i need it in the middle so i get the middle of the metafile object like
this:
int null_x, null_y;
CWnd *pSrf;
CRect SrfRect;
pSrf = GetDlgItem(IDC_SURFACE);
pSrf->GetClientRect (SrfRect);
null_x = SrfRect.right / 2;
null_y = SrfRect.bottom / 2;
// blah...

so,
now ill start to trying to draw the sin();

i tried it so:
int x,px,py;  // px and py are the points wich i use to draw..
px = null_x + x;
py = null_y - (sin(x * (pic / 180)));  // yeah, i know that i dont use
amplitude in this function, but i do in the real code!

so, now appears the problem,
sin() returns double value, thats ok, but
CDC::LineTo() requires int value!
so if i declare py as double, its not the solution!
when i give double value to CDC::LineTo() it would be converted to int.. so
its impossible to draw curve this way, becaue 0.5 as double will be 0 as
int!
so i tried to round the 0.5, but now i dont know why, i see not a sin curve,
i see a line...lol
i did my own function to round values:
its quiet easy and possible wrong.. but it works
int round(double x)
{
 double b;
 int c;
 c  = x;
 b = x - c;
 if ( b < 0.5 )
  return c;
 else
  return c + 1;

so, ill hope you can understand me and i hope that i dont forget something..
:-)
maybe one of you can help me, thank you !

(please dont tell me how bad my grammer and spelling is..thank you)

... Christian Meyer

2. Basic Home Network

3. Rich Edit Control Printing Problem (like the print preview problem)

4. Manage User Logon

5. Timing problems, windows resource managment problems??

6. oracle 7.0.12, ref integrity problem...

7. Problem: Require to create null PWL files or other solution for password syncronization problem

8. Typed library problems, client problems.

9. More help needed for modem problem (Tapi multi modem support problem)

10. Problem using this function to fill LINEDEVCAPS struct - from Chris Sells book - problem on Windows 2000

11. Problem with Modal Dialog in NT3.51 (don't see problem in NT4.0)

12. Newbie problem: control creating problem