Q: Looking For A Good Case Tool

Post by C.. » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I am a computer science student in an OOD class.  We are wanting to do some
OOA & OOD using a nice case tool.  We are trying to use the Rational Rose C++
demo but it will only use 3 classes and will not save.  They sell a student
copy for about $600, but I was wondering if any body new of a good free/cheep
case tool that supports OMT, Booch, or Unified method. I don't care what O/S
it will run on right now, I am just looking for options. I will be interested
in any input in my hunt for a case tool.
                                                            Thanks    Chad

Post by Dirk Vermeers » Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: I am a computer science student in an OOD class.  We are wanting to do some
: OOA & OOD using a nice case tool.  We are trying to use the Rational Rose C++
: demo but it will only use 3 classes and will not save.  They sell a student
: copy for about $600, but I was wondering if any body new of a good free/cheep
: case tool that supports OMT, Booch, or Unified method. I don't care what O/S
: it will run on right now, I am just looking for options. I will be interested
: in any input in my hunt for a case tool.
:                                                             Thanks    Chad
Have a look at "Object Domain" it supports all Booch '93 diagrams.
You can also generate class diagrams from existing C++ code. The tool
also has a TCL interface which allows you to create custom documentation/
code from the diagrams.
Eiffel users can use Bill O'Keefe's Eiffel analyzer to reverse engineer
Eiffel code into Booch(OMT) diagrams.
Object Domains is a MS Windows based tool (win32s) and is distributed as
shareware. REgistration is only $99.00.

For more info check :
http://www.he.net/~dirkv/domain.html

For more info on EIFAN check :
http://northshore.shore.net/~bokeefe

Dirk Vermeersch
Author of Object Domain.

Post by Des Ken » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> : I am a computer science student in an OOD class.  We are wanting to do some
> : OOA & OOD using a nice case tool.  We are trying to use the Rational Rose C++
> : demo but it will only use 3 classes and will not save.  They sell a student
> : copy for about $600, but I was wondering if any body new of a good free/cheep
> : case tool that supports OMT, Booch, or Unified method. I don't care what O/S
> : it will run on right now, I am just looking for options. I will be interested
> : in any input in my hunt for a case tool.
> :                                                             Thanks    Chad
> Have a look at "Object Domain" it supports all Booch '93 diagrams.
> You can also generate class diagrams from existing C++ code. The tool
> also has a TCL interface which allows you to create custom documentation/
> code from the diagrams.
> Eiffel users can use Bill O'Keefe's Eiffel analyzer to reverse engineer
> Eiffel code into Booch(OMT) diagrams.
> Object Domains is a MS Windows based tool (win32s) and is distributed as
> shareware. REgistration is only $99.00.

> For more info check :
> http://www.he.net/~dirkv/domain.html

> For more info on EIFAN check :
> http://northshore.shore.net/~bokeefe

> Dirk Vermeersch
> Author of Object Domain.

In my opinion the BON ( Business Object Notation ) method is better
than Booch or OMT or Unified, combined or otherwise.

The book on BON is "Seamless Object-Oriented Software Architecture", by
Kim Walden and Jean-Marc Nerson, Prentice Hall, 1994.

BON has been implemented in EiffelCase from ISE.

See    "http://www.eiffel.com" for more details.

Cheers

--Des Kenny

Q: Looking For A Good Case Tool

Post by Michael Whit » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Try contacting Cadre technology.  They have a pretty
sophisticated tool.  Its very expensive 5-10k but I think they
have a program where they will give it at little or no charge
to educational institutions.  Check it out.

regards,
Michael White

Post by Phil Calvi » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I am a computer science student in an OOD class.  We are wanting to do some
> OOA & OOD using a nice case tool.  We are trying to use the Rational Rose C++
> demo but it will only use 3 classes and will not save.  They sell a student
> copy for about $600, but I was wondering if any body new of a good free/cheep
> case tool that supports OMT, Booch, or Unified method. I don't care what O/S
> it will run on right now, I am just looking for options. I will be interested
> in any input in my hunt for a case tool.
>                                                             Thanks    Chad

Check out S-Case.

If you're using it as part of a class, the student purchase
(node-locked) is $50 for Mac/Win, and $75 (I think) for UNIX.

I doesn't do reverse engineering like Rose does, but it's fully
functional otherwise.

Phil

Post by Miroslav J Walk » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: I am a computer science student in an OOD class.  We are wanting to do some
: OOA & OOD using a nice case tool.  We are trying to use the Rational Rose C++
: demo but it will only use 3 classes and will not save.  They sell a student
: copy for about $600, but I was wondering if any body new of a good free/cheep
: case tool that supports OMT, Booch, or Unified method. I don't care what O/S
: it will run on right now, I am just looking for options. I will be interested
: in any input in my hunt for a case tool.

I've been looking for the same, and the comp.software-eng FAQ has a list.

I did find one free one at:

ftp://export.lcs.mit.edu/contrib/devel_tools/OOD/OOD.1.4.1.2.tar.gz

Happy hunting...

Miro
--
Any small object when dropped will hide under a larger object.

Q: Looking For A Good Case Tool

Post by David Wetz » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

(...)

Quote:> Check out S-Case.

> If you're using it as part of a class, the student purchase
> (node-locked) is $50 for Mac/Win, and $75 (I think) for UNIX.

Does it run on NEXTSTEP?
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Phone +49 33056 82151, Fax +49 33056 82152

1. Q: Looking For A Good Case Tool

I am a computer science student in an OOD class.  We are wanting to do some
OOA & OOD using a nice case tool.  We are trying to use the Rational Rose C++
demo but it will only use 3 classes and will not save.  They sell a student
copy for about $600, but I was wondering if any body new of a good free/cheep
case tool that supports OMT, Booch, or Unified method. I don't care what O/S
it will run on right now, I am just looking for options. I will be interested
in any input in my hunt for a case tool.
                                                            Thanks    Chad

2. WinCE2 and ActiveSync

3. TRADE-IN YOUR SHELFWARE CASE TOOL - Get a Hot CASE Tool FREE!!

4. Black Crypt and the 030 THANKS!

5. Good OO CASE tool with C++ code generation

6. *** Hardware Update 2.0 HOSED my hard disk! ***

7. Good OO CASE tool with C++ code gen

8. Joblogs from signoff

9. a GOOD CASE TOOL for OMT : ISF/OMT

10. Looking for a good Post-Use Case Book?

11. Looking For CASE/UML Tool Suggestions

12. Looking for OO case tool source code

13. Looking for CASE tools comparison