MCSD 70-016 advise plz

Post by Shane Lone » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 01:12:20

I have been working with VC++ for about 16 months creating desktop
applications.  I have a CS degree from a four year college.  I rate my
intelligence as above average (this is not hubris I merely think that one
needs good data to give good advice -- not that there are any mentats out
there or anything).  I want to get an MCSD and have decided on the VC++
track (70-016, 70-015, 70-100, 70-229).  Any advise as far as how much I
should study (how many hours total) and what books are good for 70-016 or
other exams.  Thanks in advance.

MCSD 70-016 advise plz

Post by Axel » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:02:05

I have passed many MS exams (MCSE earned in 1996) and have used the
following method.
1. Concentrate on understanding the subject -- why you should do something
as well as how to do it.
2. Download the test syllabus. For each item, do an honest appraisal of your
skill. Could you discuss this items for 5 minutes? Do you know the pros and
cons and gotchas of it?
3. Use books recommended by Microsoft. Sometimes you have to know the
Microsoft answer. Microsoft often has white papers covering selected
subjects. These are excellent material. Use other books to further your
knowledge of the subject.
4. One approach that is often overlooked is newsgroup participation. Spend
time answering questions in newsgroups related to your subject and you'll
find that it sharpens your thinking and drives home some of the concepts you
may not have really understood.  Explaining to others  is the best way to
really learn a subject..

How much time? Figure 40 hours of formal classroom training plus 20 hours of
practice and reading or about 120 hours of practice and reading if doing
self-study.

--
Axel Larson

Quote:> I have been working with VC++ for about 16 months creating desktop
> applications.  I have a CS degree from a four year college.  I rate my
> intelligence as above average (this is not hubris I merely think that one
> needs good data to give good advice -- not that there are any mentats out
> there or anything).  I want to get an MCSD and have decided on the VC++
> track (70-016, 70-015, 70-100, 70-229).  Any advise as far as how much I
> should study (how many hours total) and what books are good for 70-016 or
> other exams.  Thanks in advance.

1. MCSD & Transcender for (70-016) Visual C++ 6.0 Desktop

1) Did you MCSD guys practiced with Trancender or did you just go and pass
the test?
2) I had pretty good results with the 4 tests in the package (4x43
questions). Do you think that the exam was harder or easier that the
Transcender tests?
3) I found the questions very out-dated (WinNT, Win98, IIS, IE4 questions).
Are they actually have questions like that?
4) Do you have/had any other source of test questions? I checked out
http://ace-it-certifications.com/microsoft.html but they sell the very same
questions (actually only 85 of them). Any other (un)official website,
source?
5) What are the alternatives of Transcender to successfully prepare to pass
the test (other then coding/practicing)?

Thanks a lot...

2. Encode/Decode Problem

3. MCSD 70-016 using VC 7.0

4. Senior PowerBuilder Developer / Consulting - Perm or Cont / MI

5. Does somebody have mcsd 70-016 sample code?please

6. Pro*C++ and sqlglm

7. 70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

8. ASCII List in VO ??

9. have OCP,2000,MCSD(VB) Exchange for 70-15 and 70-16

10. 70-305 + 70-316 + 70-320 + 70-229 + 70-300 = MCSD .NET??

11. Difference between 70-015 and 70-016