70-029 (SQL Server) vs Oracle DBA SQL PL/SQL.

70-029 (SQL Server) vs Oracle DBA SQL PL/SQL.

Post by Ola » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 06:05:49



Greetings!

I started to read for the Oracle DBA SQL PL/SQL exam.  But now I have
decided to try to get into C# from the beginning, and C# is more often
used with SQL Server.  So I am thinking of doing "70-029, Designing and
Implementing Databases with Microsoft SQL Server 7.0" first or
instead.

So how do the exams compare?  Which one is more difficult?  Which one
has most stuff common for all databases?

I think if SQL Server is easier and more generic I would take it
first.

Thanks!
Olav

 
 
 

70-029 (SQL Server) vs Oracle DBA SQL PL/SQL.

Post by Alan Davi » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 04:47:46


If you have know experience of either products, then I believe it
would make no difference which one you study for. However,  consider
learning sql server 2000 as this is the latest release of the product.

Best place to start is simply to play with sql server and look through
bol & the msdn. Later, maybe got hold of a couple of GOOD sql sever
books.

I see in the title of this thread you mention pl/sql, transact sql is
somewhat different, so take some time to understand tsql.



>Greetings!

>I started to read for the Oracle DBA SQL PL/SQL exam.  But now I have
>decided to try to get into C# from the beginning, and C# is more often
>used with SQL Server.  So I am thinking of doing "70-029, Designing and
>Implementing Databases with Microsoft SQL Server 7.0" first or
>instead.

>So how do the exams compare?  Which one is more difficult?  Which one
>has most stuff common for all databases?

>I think if SQL Server is easier and more generic I would take it
>first.

>Thanks!
>Olav


 
 
 

70-029 (SQL Server) vs Oracle DBA SQL PL/SQL.

Post by Ola » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 02:25:36



> If you have know experience of either products, then I believe it
> would make no difference which one you study for. However,  consider
> learning sql server 2000 as this is the latest release of the product.

But one should be slightly easier?  Or slightly more generic?

Quote:

> Best place to start is simply to play with sql server and look through
> bol & the msdn. Later, maybe got hold of a couple of GOOD sql sever
> books.

In a way I have enough practise.  I want to work quite exam-oriented,
not just play around.

I would like some "structured" practise though (short practical
exercise etc.).
My Oracle book (from Sybex) is to exam-oriented for me, so if I could
get something "better" with SQL server it gives a preference to SQL
Server.

Thanks!
Olav

 
 
 

70-029 (SQL Server) vs Oracle DBA SQL PL/SQL.

Post by Alan Davi » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 06:11:17




>> If you have know experience of either products, then I believe it
>> would make no difference which one you study for. However,  consider
>> learning sql server 2000 as this is the latest release of the product.
>But one should be slightly easier?  Or slightly more generic?

No,  both cover basic design techniques and strategies and both cover
topics which were new to the product release in question.

Quote:

>> Best place to start is simply to play with sql server and look through
>> bol & the msdn. Later, maybe got hold of a couple of GOOD sql sever
>> books.
>In a way I have enough practise.  I want to work quite exam-oriented,
>not just play around.

The exams do not test you on 'real world' situations. Many people pass
MS exams whose only experience is by 'playing around'. Understanding
how to produce the right solution is another matter.

Quote:

>I would like some "structured" practise though (short practical
>exercise etc.).
>My Oracle book (from Sybex) is to exam-oriented for me, so if I could
>get something "better" with SQL server it gives a preference to SQL
>Server.

I got hold off the MS training guide & readiness review book for sql
server 2000. Never again given the amount of errors they contained.
Having said that, the MS training guide was quite well laid out.
Quote:>Thanks!
>Olav

 
 
 

1. 70-029 (SQL Server) vs Oracle DBA SQL PL/SQL.

Greetings!

I started to read for the Oracle DBA SQL PL/SQL exam.  But now I have
decided to try to get into C# from the beginning, and C# is more often
used with SQL Server.  So I am thinking of doing "70-029, Designing and
Implementing Databases with Microsoft SQL Server 7.0" first or
instead.

So how do the exams compare?  Which one is more difficult?  Which one
has most stuff common for all databases?

I think if SQL Server is easier and more generic I would take it
first.

Thanks!
Olav

2. Majordomo

3. Studying for 70-029 Looking for SQL Server 7.0 Developer CDs

4. asp.net security

5. 70-029 Designing and Implemetation SQL Server DB

6. INFO-TeX routine posting

7. SQL Server : 70-029

8. Automatic reply

9. Self Testing for 70-029? SQL Server (URGENT)

10. SQL Server 7 - 70-029

11. Oracle Dba (70%) & SQL DBA (30%) / Houston TX / 6 + months

12. Oracle DBA/ Oracle Sql Server DBA Consultant Available for your direct client REK