70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

Post by Tvrtk » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

Since I passed 70-100, I'm now preparing for other MCSD exams. I've chosen
70-029 for elective.
Before I spend my limited budget, I would like to hear some good
recommendations for books that will help me to pass. I have 2 year
experiende in VC++(MFC) & COM, some experience in ATL and I know MTS basics.
Also, are Transcenders any good for these exams?

Thanks,
Tvrtko

70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

Post by Chandler Gella » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Also, are Transcenders any good for these exams?

Transcender is VERY VERY POOR for 70-016 (Desktop/VC++)

70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

Post by Tvrtk » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Transcender is VERY VERY POOR for 70-016 (Desktop/VC++)

Any other suggestion? Books?

Tvrtko

70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

Post by Chandler Gella » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Any other suggestion? Books?

    Unfortunately, the book that I used (The MS Press Training Kit) was also
error-infested. If I would have relied on this book + the Transcender, I
would have failed this exam. The only reason that I passed was that I have a
lot of experience with VC++ -- so I was able to scan Microsoft's exam
objectives (which you can find on their site), and reference MSDN when I had
questions. If you have experience with VC++, this approach will probably
work for you as well. If you have little product experience, you'll have to
buy a good MFC book like "Professional MFC", a good COM book (like "Inside
COM"), and a good ATL book (like "Beginning ATL COM")...

    Now that I read your original message again I see that you've got 2 yrs
of experience so you should be in good shape. In addition to the skills you
listed, you will also need to understand Microsoft Message Queue Service.

    What was 70-100 like? Was it hard?

70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

Post by Tvrtk » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> work for you as well. If you have little product experience, you'll have
> buy a good MFC book like "Professional MFC", a good COM book (like "Inside
> COM"), and a good ATL book (like "Beginning ATL COM")...

Thanks. What do you think about "Programming Windows with MFC" by Prosise
and "Building COM apps " by Kirtland or "Essential COM" by Box?

Quote:>     Now that I read your original message again I see that you've got 2
yrs
> of experience so you should be in good shape. In addition to the skills
you
> listed, you will also need to understand Microsoft Message Queue Service.
>     What was 70-100 like? Was it hard?

Not really because I was well prepared (rich experience in database and
system design). Transcender works fine for this exam (one case study was
exact copy of one of Transcender's and another one was pretty similar). I
also used Exam cram book and official book by Microsoft which is not so tied
to exam but is definitely worth money.
The theoretical questions were easy - ADO, ADO and again, ADO. :)))

Tvrtko

70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

Post by Chandler Gella » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > work for you as well. If you have little product experience, you'll have
> > buy a good MFC book like "Professional MFC", a good COM book (like
"Inside
> > COM"), and a good ATL book (like "Beginning ATL COM")...
> Thanks. What do you think about "Programming Windows with MFC" by Prosise
> and "Building COM apps " by Kirtland or "Essential COM" by Box?

    The Prosise Book is excellent! I haven't read "Building COM apps" so I
can't comment. Although I haven't read "Essential COM," the author has a
great reputation and so does that book so I'd guess that it's an excellent
resource... Check the comments on amazon.com too...

Quote:> Not really because I was well prepared (rich experience in database and
> system design). Transcender works fine for this exam (one case study was
> exact copy of one of Transcender's and another one was pretty similar). I
> also used Exam cram book and official book by Microsoft which is not so
tied
> to exam but is definitely worth money.
> The theoretical questions were easy - ADO, ADO and again, ADO. :)))

    Eeesh... I know ADO quite well, but the whole "case study" concept kind
of scares me. After I take 70-015 (Desktop/C++), 70-100 will be my next
exam..

David

70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

Post by Tvrtk » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>     Eeesh... I know ADO quite well, but the whole "case study" concept
kind
> of scares me. After I take 70-015 (Desktop/C++), 70-100 will be my next
> exam..

Don't be scared. If you try Transcender, you'll get the picture how to solve
them. Basically, there are few kinds of questions: entity-relationship
diagram, data flow diagram and database design (primary keys, foreign keys,
other attributes) and they all can be easily solved if you understand
fundamentals of database design. I liked one comment in this newsgroup that
70-100 should be renamed to "logical database design exam" :)))

Tvrtko

70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

Post by EC » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

If you're going to take exam 70-029 as the elective then I suggest that you
take it before the exam 70-100, in which the developing data model is
heavily tested in most of the 4 exam scenarios you will encounter. You will
find that the concept of designing database table, especially the primary
key and foreign key, that you learn from the exam 70-029 will prove to very
helpful.

Edward Chung
MCSD, MCDBA

Quote:>     Eeesh... I know ADO quite well, but the whole "case study" concept
kind
> of scares me. After I take 70-015 (Desktop/C++), 70-100 will be my next
> exam..

> David

70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

Post by Tvrtk » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> If you're going to take exam 70-029 as the elective then I suggest that
you
> take it before the exam 70-100, in which the developing data model is
> heavily tested in most of the 4 exam scenarios you will encounter. You
will
> find that the concept of designing database table, especially the primary
> key and foreign key, that you learn from the exam 70-029 will prove to
very
> helpful.

> Edward Chung
> MCSD, MCDBA

Thanks for the tip, but I've already passed 70-100. I have 5 year experience
in relational database design so I had no problems with primary and foreign
keys. What is the main focus in 70-029 exam?

Tvrtko

70-016, 70-015 & 70-029 books recommendations

Post by Wessel Troos » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > Thanks. What do you think about "Programming Windows with MFC" by
Prosise
> > and "Building COM apps " by Kirtland or "Essential COM" by Box?

Hope you don't mind me dropping in the discussion, but
"Programming Windows 95 with MFC" is one of the best computer
books I've read!  It goes from introduction all the way to threading,
ActiveX, databases, and more.  Many code samples you can use!

The Kirtland book is a very nice overview of COM, SQL,
MSMQ, MTS, and the development process.  It got a bit
boring halfway so I didn't quite finish it.

If you are going for exams 015 and 016, remember that the
passing score is lower than that of other exams.  You don't
have to learn MFC and ADO and COM and ATL and ASP
and MSMQ and MTS and .... to pass, you just need a
subset.  I'd say, read the introduction for all of them, and
focus on the technologies you'll be actually using!