MCSD & Transcender for (70-016) Visual C++ 6.0 Desktop

MCSD & Transcender for (70-016) Visual C++ 6.0 Desktop

Post by Norber » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:40:08

1) Did you MCSD guys practiced with Trancender or did you just go and pass
the test?
2) I had pretty good results with the 4 tests in the package (4x43
questions). Do you think that the exam was harder or easier that the
Transcender tests?
3) I found the questions very out-dated (WinNT, Win98, IIS, IE4 questions).
Are they actually have questions like that?
4) Do you have/had any other source of test questions? I checked out
http://ace-it-certifications.com/microsoft.html but they sell the very same
questions (actually only 85 of them). Any other (un)official website,
source?
5) What are the alternatives of Transcender to successfully prepare to pass
the test (other then coding/practicing)?

Thanks a lot...

MCSD & Transcender for (70-016) Visual C++ 6.0 Desktop

Post by Tim » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:19:49

Quote:> 1) Did you MCSD guys practiced with Trancender or did you just go and pass
> the test?

I just went and passed - there was no Transcender product for this exam
during the beta.

Quote:> 2) I had pretty good results with the 4 tests in the package (4x43
> questions). Do you think that the exam was harder or easier that the
> Transcender tests?

I've never seen the Transcender for this particular exam, but I consistently
do worse on Transcenders than live exams. I think it's mostly because the
Transcender questions are sometimes not as clear and I don't try as hard
because they don't count for anything.

Quote:> 3) I found the questions very out-dated (WinNT, Win98, IIS, IE4
questions).
> Are they actually have questions like that?

Probably. The exam was developed back in the dark ages of 1999 when those
were still current technology. It's difficult for MS to update the content
much after the exams go live because that risks changing the meaning of the
exam results.

Quote:> 4) Do you have/had any other source of test questions? I checked out
> http://ace-it-certifications.com/microsoft.html but they sell the very
same
> questions (actually only 85 of them). Any other (un)official website,
> source?

www.measureup.com and www.selftestsoftware.com both sell practice questions
and are the only officially endorsed providers. But this particular exam is
not one you're likely to find a great deal of resources for - it's far less
popular than the VB6 exams, which themselves are dwarfed by the MCSE core
exams.

Quote:> 5) What are the alternatives of Transcender to successfully prepare to
pass
> the test (other then coding/practicing)?

http://msdn.microsoft.com. I took the exam objectives outline and searched
through that, as well as read a couple of general 3rd party ATL/COM books
(from Wrox press, I believe) to prepare for the C++ exams. I actually didn't
have a lot of experience with ATL or COM at the time (but lots with MFC),
but I passed both. FYI, I found the content of the exams to have major
overlaps. It wouldn't hurt to study for both 015 and 016 before taking
either - and the 2nd one should require much less preparation than the
first.

MCSD & Transcender for (70-016) Visual C++ 6.0 Desktop

Post by Gary » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:47:01

I found I liked Self-test software better than the rest.  They were more
like the actual test.  Transcender and Measure Up are fine, too but I just
found them to be not very much like a MS exam simulation. imho, of course!
I only got them for the first two exams that I sat for.  I realized
thereafter for the next 8 exams I sat for that just studying the material
from MSDN and Books Online (for SQL Server) and learning it rather than just
learning to take and pass the exams were MUCH better for my career.  Most
importantly, you need the hands-on experience!!!  You need to have used the
tools and not just have read about them or learned how to ascertain the
'right' answer out of a choice of 4. There is nothing quite as annoying as
when I am interviewing a job candidate with an MCSD or whatever and it is
clear that they know very little beyond having crammed and having learned
how to pass these exams.  I have run into a few too many 'paper MCSD's and
trust me, the people doing the hiring can spot it within a few minutes.

Quote:> 1) Did you MCSD guys practiced with Trancender or did you just go and pass
> the test?
> 2) I had pretty good results with the 4 tests in the package (4x43
> questions). Do you think that the exam was harder or easier that the
> Transcender tests?
> 3) I found the questions very out-dated (WinNT, Win98, IIS, IE4
questions).
> Are they actually have questions like that?
> 4) Do you have/had any other source of test questions? I checked out
> http://ace-it-certifications.com/microsoft.html but they sell the very
same
> questions (actually only 85 of them). Any other (un)official website,
> source?
> 5) What are the alternatives of Transcender to successfully prepare to
pass
> the test (other then coding/practicing)?

> Thanks a lot...

MCSD & Transcender for (70-016) Visual C++ 6.0 Desktop

Post by J.S Moor » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:27:35

The exams were very easy; this coupled with the VERY low passing score of
around 540 makes the exams meaningless. Just take the exams, if you fail
quite because you don't know Jack.

Quote:> 1) Did you MCSD guys practiced with Trancender or did you just go and pass
> the test?
> 2) I had pretty good results with the 4 tests in the package (4x43
> questions). Do you think that the exam was harder or easier that the
> Transcender tests?
> 3) I found the questions very out-dated (WinNT, Win98, IIS, IE4
questions).
> Are they actually have questions like that?
> 4) Do you have/had any other source of test questions? I checked out
> http://ace-it-certifications.com/microsoft.html but they sell the very
same
> questions (actually only 85 of them). Any other (un)official website,
> source?
> 5) What are the alternatives of Transcender to successfully prepare to
pass
> the test (other then coding/practicing)?

> Thanks a lot...

MCSD & Transcender for (70-016) Visual C++ 6.0 Desktop

Post by Mike » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 01:54:59

I studied with the goal of learning the material well and passed.  It's my
understanding that the tests have evolved to include more real world, full
life cycle software product development questions than they did when the
first tests were written.  I found some of questions quite challenging.  I
didn't have any of the questions on topics in #3, but I was prepared for any
web-type, active document, etc. questions.
-Mike

Quote:> 1) Did you MCSD guys practiced with Trancender or did you just go and pass
> the test?
> 2) I had pretty good results with the 4 tests in the package (4x43
> questions). Do you think that the exam was harder or easier that the
> Transcender tests?
> 3) I found the questions very out-dated (WinNT, Win98, IIS, IE4
questions).
> Are they actually have questions like that?
> 4) Do you have/had any other source of test questions? I checked out
> http://ace-it-certifications.com/microsoft.html but they sell the very
same
> questions (actually only 85 of them). Any other (un)official website,
> source?
> 5) What are the alternatives of Transcender to successfully prepare to
pass
> the test (other then coding/practicing)?

> Thanks a lot...

MCSD & Transcender for (70-016) Visual C++ 6.0 Desktop

Post by cod3 » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 20:24:10

Norbert, I notice that the other replies may not help you much. I took the
VC++ exams (Desktop & Distributed) recently, early-mid feb that is, and used
the Transcenders for both of them.

1. I practiced with the Transcenders. Could have done without them, but if
you haven't taken any other MS exam, they'll do wonders tp familiarise you
with the actual exam. By the way, I wouldn't fly blind into any exam or
other situation, and certainly wouldn't bet $100 on it. But that's just me.

2. The transcender exams are more difficult than the MCSD. If you do
well -first time- on the transcender you should do well on the exam. But
hey, who knows? It's up to you friend.

3. Yes, the questions are pretty outdated by now. As far as I have seen they
have not been updated to include Win2K information, and pretty much apply
consistently to COM, DCOM, NT4, Win95 and Win98.

4. Yes, I found the exam crams very helpful, plus of course as much
information as I could get my hands on on the web. If you've got it, use it.

5. Free practice tests/study guides on the web.

Good luck with your exam.

cod3r

Quote:> 1) Did you MCSD guys practiced with Trancender or did you just go and pass
> the test?
> 2) I had pretty good results with the 4 tests in the package (4x43
> questions). Do you think that the exam was harder or easier that the
> Transcender tests?
> 3) I found the questions very out-dated (WinNT, Win98, IIS, IE4
questions).
> Are they actually have questions like that?
> 4) Do you have/had any other source of test questions? I checked out
> http://ace-it-certifications.com/microsoft.html but they sell the very
same
> questions (actually only 85 of them). Any other (un)official website,
> source?
> 5) What are the alternatives of Transcender to successfully prepare to
pass
> the test (other then coding/practicing)?

> Thanks a lot...

1. Topic covered in Visual C++ Desktop Exam 70-016

MFC has the greatest coverage, but of course it is not sufficient. By MFC
I mean all of MFC - OLE, COM, ActiveX, ISAPI, Doc/View, printing, etc.
All topics can pop. Also ATL, ADO, #import, VSS... Well - you have the
exam matrix...

--
===============================
Alexander Nickolov

===============================

2. Hotmail crashes OE5

3. c++ desktop exam(70-016)

4. FLICKERFIXER for the Amiga 1200?

5. what is the best book for Exam 70-016 (Desktop C++)?

6. Dual Processor support?

7. URL for Practice tests for C++ desktop Exam (70-016)?

8. Exam 70-016 (C++ 6.0) Practice Questions

9. Transcender for 70-015 and 70-016

10. Visual C++ (70-016) Requirements

11. MCP exam 70-016 Visual C++