MCAD Certification - is it worth it?

Post by Ieua » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 17:26:27

Firstly, I know this is a MCSD group but there doesn't appear to be a
MCAD group.

I'm currently learning ASP.NET, ADO.NET and intend to then do VB.NET
and probably C#.  I'll then go onto try to become MCAD certified.

I'm seriously thinking of going onto one of these boot camps to enable
me to quickly get this certificate and have a few questions I was
hoping some of you out there would be able to help with:

1. Are these boot camps worth the money?

2. Does anyone have any recomendations on which bootcamp is a good one
(I live in the East Midlands, UK)?

3. Does having MCAD certification help with getting a job given the
hard times we are currently in?

Thanks,

Ieuan

MCAD Certification - is it worth it?

Post by Kline Spher » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:29:56

Quote:>1. Are these boot camps worth the money?

If your company pays for it, it don't really matter.

My view is I cannot see the point of boot camps. If you work with the
products day in day out, you should be able to spend a few weeks on
each exam going through the exam prep guide, covering the topics you
are not too clear about.

Quote:>2. Does anyone have any recomendations on which bootcamp is a good one
>(I live in the East Midlands, UK)?

Ensure you do some more research on the company, don't just go with
cheapest or the one closest to your place of work/home. Although it
don't really prove a thing, make sure the company is microsoft
certified technical educational center.

Quote:>3. Does having MCAD certification help with getting a job given the
>hard times we are currently in?

Most certainly not, just look on your jobserve to see how many mcsd
jobs are on offer. But on the other hand, what harm can it do?
Especially if your employer pays for it.

My experience of the UK, is that microsoft certification is treated
with less respect than it is in the States.