Ampex R90, Metrum VLDS hardware/software for Model D IOS

Ampex R90, Metrum VLDS hardware/software for Model D IOS

Post by Gary Smi » Sat, 16 Feb 1991 22:55:21

I've heard from Ampex that CRAY only intends to support the Ampex R90 D2
recorder, and the Metrum VLDS robot from Model E IOS's.  Can anyone from
CRAY comment on this?  If it's true, I find it unacceptable for [at least]
the following reason: If one purchases the largest Y CRAY sells today, one
must NECESSARILY accept a Model D IOS and I'd suggest that the largest Y's
have at least the mass storage migration/recall problems of their smaller
brethren.  Were I to purchase a large Y today, I'd make Model D hardware/
software for those devices a requirement of the purchase contract.  Those
devices can help solve the "storage" aspect (large files) of the "data"
problem, while STK 4400 robots primarily address the "access" aspect of it.

I have similar arguments for CRAY's line of "inexpensive" DS61 disk drives:
Why should the customers who spend the most money with CRAY not have access
(without purchasing another, smaller Y) to such devices, given that CRAY is
to require you to purchase only Model D IOS's with those most expensive Y's?
We have some filesystems that only need unit megabyte/second throughputs,
and I don't understand the CRAY's philosophy of treating the largest-system
customers as 2nd-class citizens in this regard!

Comments?

Gary Smith
University of Texas System Center for High Performance Computing

--

Systems Group, Center for High Performance Computing
The University of Texas System

1. TRS-80 Model 1,3,4 hardware and software for buy,sale, or trade!

Hello:

My name is Cord Coslor and I am a private TRS-80 collector from Minden,
Nebraska. I am posting this to let everyone know that I have tons and tons
of TRS-80 hardware and software and am looking fro more. If you send me
mail, I will ship you a catalog of everything I have. I have virtually
every game written for these computers, and am interested in hearing what
others still have in their collections.

I also have everything converted to run with the emulators for the Model
1,3,4.

Please let me know what you have concerning these fine machines, and I
will get back to you with my complete inventory.

I'm always buying, selling, and trading!

able to monitor this sight                                            very
often.

CORD COSLOR
Archive Software

2. Help: Sync Pilot with Lotus Notes

3. TRS-80 model I/III/IV software,books,hardware

4. pcomm.12.10.tar

5. Model 2000 software/hardware/manuals wanted

6. New to all this

7. Model 4 Hardware/Software Wanted

8. GeoTIFF format

9. IEEE Software Special Issue on Software Reliability Models