PARALLEL ALGORITHMS FOR IMAGE HISTOGRAMMING AND CONNECTED COMPONENTS

PARALLEL ALGORITHMS FOR IMAGE HISTOGRAMMING AND CONNECTED COMPONENTS

Post by David Bad » Thu, 29 Dec 1994 23:34:19

ANNOUNCEMENT:

PARALLEL ALGORITHMS FOR IMAGE HISTOGRAMMING AND CONNECTED COMPONENTS
                    WITH AN EXPERIMENTAL STUDY

We have released our technical report entitled ``Parallel Algorithms
for Image Histogramming and Connected Components with an Experimental
Study,'' by David A. Bader and Joseph Ja'Ja'.  Technical Report
Number: CS-TR-3384 and UMIACS-TR-94-133.  Institute for Advanced
Computer Studies (UMIACS) and the Department of Electrical
Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, December 1994.

The paper is available in PostScript format via WWW:

http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~dbader

or via anonymous ftp to:

ftp.cs.umd.edu:/pub/papers/TRs/3384.ps.Z

If you prefer a hardcopy, please reply to this message and send me
your mailing address.

ABSTRACT:
This paper presents efficient and portable implementations of two
useful primitives in image processing algorithms, histogramming and
connected components.  Our general framework is a single-address
space, distributed memory programming model.  We use efficient
techniques for distributing and coalescing data as well as efficient
combinations of task and data parallelism.  Our connected components
algorithm uses a novel approach for parallel merging which performs
drastically limited updating during iterative steps, and concludes
with a total consistency update at the final step. The algorithms have
been coded in Split-C and run on a variety of platforms.  Our
experimental results are consistent with the theoretical analysis and
provide the best known execution times for these two primitives, even
when compared with machine specific implementations.  More efficient
implementations of Split-C will likely result in even faster execution
times.

---
David A. Bader
Electrical Engineering Department
A.V. Williams Building
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Office: 301-405-6755
FAX:    301-314-9658

WWW:      http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~dbader

1. Algorithms for Incremental Strongly Connected Components ?

Hello again,

I'm also trying to find algorithms which maintain the strongly
connected components of a directed graph in the presence of edge
insertions/deletions. I have so far found nothing on this topic. Does
anyone know of any previous work?

Again, any help on this would be most appreciated!

David J. Pearce

2. thanks for EXPLODING FIST

3. Any Incremental Strongly Connected Component Algorithms?

4. Creating boot disk

5. (Q) Parallel connected components problem

6. OS/2's position

7. Parallel Image Coding Algorithms

8. VB6 ImageList ListImage::Draw Equivalent

9. ANNOUNCEMENT: Parallel Algorithms for Image Enhancement and Segmentation

10. strongly k-connected components

11. Strongly connected components

12. Graphs: Nontrivial strongly connected components

13. Strongly Connect Components