Access Paths in Java IDE

Post by Martin Streiche » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

The facts: I am using CW for Java 5 on Windows 2000.

I have a directory called ...\myjava\classes that itself contains a
hierarchy of un-jarred class files (org/..., com/..., etc.) If I am running
the command line java interpreter and put ...\myjava\classes in my
CLASSPATH, the class files are found and everything works great.

In the IDE things are a little different. I tried adding the directory to
the access paths, but that does not work. If I add the .jar files to the
project under the "Classes" folder (I started with Java Stationery), then
everything is fine. I assume I could also add each individual .class file as
well - but that would be messy.

How do I accomplish the equivalent of CLASSPATH in my Java project file or
Java Target settings? Do I always have to include a .jar (can I also include
a .zip?) in the project file? I tried changing some of the runtime settings
as well, but I am not sure I am hitting the right thing.

Anyway to keep my projects nice and clean without referencing the jar files
inside the project? Moreover, I want to be able to point to alternate
versions of the jar files in other directories. How do I do that? Individual
project files?

Also, is there a limit to the length of a path name referenced as an access
path?

Thanks for any assistance.
Martin

(I assume that I am seeing a runtime error and not a compile time or link
time error. Yes?)