codewarrior vs mobilestudio

Post by Arro » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 09:59:43

http://www.mobilesoft-labs.com/mobilestudio.htm

For those of you who have had a chance to look at the mobilestudio
compiler, what are the pros and cons of  this and the Codewarrior compiler?
i've done a lot of windoze programming and have just briefly
looked at both compilers (demo versions). Though off the top,
Codewarrior is the big daddy, i was impressed with mobile studios
ease of use, especially since it's just like MS Visual Studio with,
resource studio, class wizards, event mapping etc. ...i was able to easily
put
a simple app together in no time ...on the other hand codewarrior wasn't
that
straight forward and not as friendly ...ie, the constructor is separate
from the main IDE ...i know mobile studio sits on top of the
PRC tools and i don't the disadvantages / limitations to this compiler
compared to Codewarrior. Mobilestudio is still in it's enfancy
but at $30 it appears quite amazing.... thoughts, opinions ?

thanks !

codewarrior vs mobilestudio

Post by Gavin Maxwel » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:40:15

As someone who's always hated Visual Studio I find MS equally unappealling -
but that's a personal thing. I've been using CW since the first DR version
for the Mac (ie pre-Palm days) way back when Adam was a boy...

If you go with CW and pickup one of the many class libraries (*ee, POL
etc) you get similar capabilities to rapidly build Palm OS applications.

Certainly the cost saving is dramatic between MS and CW - but more often
than not you get what you pay for...

Gavin.

Quote:> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> For those of you who have had a chance to look at the mobilestudio
> compiler, what are the pros and cons of  this and the Codewarrior
compiler?
> i've done a lot of windoze programming and have just briefly
> looked at both compilers (demo versions). Though off the top,
> Codewarrior is the big daddy, i was impressed with mobile studios
> ease of use, especially since it's just like MS Visual Studio with,
> resource studio, class wizards, event mapping etc. ...i was able to easily
> put
> a simple app together in no time ...on the other hand codewarrior wasn't
> that
> straight forward and not as friendly ...ie, the constructor is separate
> from the main IDE ...i know mobile studio sits on top of the
> PRC tools and i don't the disadvantages / limitations to this compiler
> compared to Codewarrior. Mobilestudio is still in it's enfancy
> but at $30 it appears quite amazing.... thoughts, opinions ?

> thanks !

codewarrior vs mobilestudio

Post by Nam Suk Ki » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:03:12

I am facing this dilemma as well... I downloaded the CW for Palm demo and
have been using it, but it seems a bit cryptic compared to other IDE's -
such as Borland's JBuilder or VisualCafe, or even Visual Studio.  The price
for MS lite is quite cheap, though.

I was wondering if I can get a good breakdown between the two platforms.

Thanks.

> As someone who's always hated Visual Studio I find MS equally
unappealling -
> but that's a personal thing. I've been using CW since the first DR version
> for the Mac (ie pre-Palm days) way back when Adam was a boy...

> If you go with CW and pickup one of the many class libraries (*ee, POL
> etc) you get similar capabilities to rapidly build Palm OS applications.

> Certainly the cost saving is dramatic between MS and CW - but more often
> than not you get what you pay for...

> Gavin.

> > http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > For those of you who have had a chance to look at the mobilestudio
> > compiler, what are the pros and cons of  this and the Codewarrior
> compiler?
> > i've done a lot of windoze programming and have just briefly
> > looked at both compilers (demo versions). Though off the top,
> > Codewarrior is the big daddy, i was impressed with mobile studios
> > ease of use, especially since it's just like MS Visual Studio with,
> > resource studio, class wizards, event mapping etc. ...i was able to
easily
> > put
> > a simple app together in no time ...on the other hand codewarrior wasn't
> > that
> > straight forward and not as friendly ...ie, the constructor is separate
> > from the main IDE ...i know mobile studio sits on top of the
> > PRC tools and i don't the disadvantages / limitations to this compiler
> > compared to Codewarrior. Mobilestudio is still in it's enfancy
> > but at $30 it appears quite amazing.... thoughts, opinions ?

> > thanks !

1. CodeWarrior Demo -vs- Lite -vs- Learning Edition

Hi,

I recently purchased the (somewhat dated) book "Palm Programming" by
Glenn Bachmann [SAMS,1999] which includes a copy of CodeWarrior Lite
on the CD-ROM.  Being of sound mind, I decided to check Metrowerks to
see if they had a more up-to-date version that I could use.

I found that Metrowerks has a "demo" version that you can download,
though I have not done so yet.  Then, on their FTP site they have a
"Lite" version.  The Lite version on the FTP site is about 20MB in
size, and the Lite version on my books CD-ROM is about 5MB.

I downloaded and installed the Lite version from the FTP site and it
installed normally - EXCEPT there was no HELP.  All the Help functions
failed, saying it could not find the specified help file; in the
installation directory, there was no HELP subdirectory at all (which
is what CodeWarrior Lite was looking for.)

Anyhow, my questions now are:

(1) is this missing HELP normal in the Lite version?
(2) What's the difference between the Demo, the Lite and what's
apparently for sale on CompUSA shelves, the "Learning Edition"?

I hate to sound cheap, but as a software engineer that is trying to do
some Palm programming on the side (for fun), the full-blown
CodeWarrior for Palm is a bit steep ($469 at devdepot.com)  I am
hoping that there is a "Lite"er version that also isn't completely
crippled.  I would be much more willing to plop down $100-$200, but
when it gets around $500 you definitely lose the interest of the
casual developer.  I just hope I am wrong and there is something not
crippled in the $100-$200 price range.. Despite the "free" price tag,
I'd really rather not go down the GCC road.  I bang my head on enough
walls at work.. =)

Thanks in advance for any info you can furnish!
And cheers on what looks like a great product for Palm Dev!

// CHRIS

2. Databases with FP 2000 and Unix

3. VB 3.0 vs PB vs Access 2.0 vs Oracle CDE vs SQL Windows vs C++

4. FAQ: pointer to Dial Other Internet Provider FAQ

5. PowerBuilder vs VisualBasic vs Oracle's CDE vs C++ vs SQLWindows vs ?

6. Help on forwarding....

7. Embedded Codewarrior - where are the codewarrior groups?

8. Q. How can I get the Cisco 801 to use daylight saving time?

9. CodeWarrior Learning Edition and CodeWarrior 6

10. Porting Programs from Codewarrior 5.0 to Codewarrior 8.0

11. compiler differences - gnu vs codewarrior

12. Codewarrior vs. Visual Studio ?

13. academic Codewarrior vs. French/English acad. CW