two CW's on one PC?

Post by Henr » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 05:19:37

Folks:

I'm adding CW7 to a PC that's already got CW for an embedded target.

Lacking any other advice, I simple installed the new CW in the default
location, "over" the existing one, which I also put in the default location.

It should be clear, but I'll state it anyway:  I really want to make sure
both installations function correctly and completely!

Will I regret this "over" installation?  What are the ins and outs?  Is
there a better way?

(I save a copy of the original installation just in case!)

Thanks,

Henry

two CW's on one PC?

Post by Ben Combe » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 12:36:32

Quote:> Folks:

> I'm adding CW7 to a PC that's already got CW for an embedded target.

> Lacking any other advice, I simple installed the new CW in the default
> location, "over" the existing one, which I also put in the default location.

> It should be clear, but I'll state it anyway:  I really want to make sure
> both installations function correctly and completely!

> Will I regret this "over" installation?  What are the ins and outs?  Is
> there a better way?

> (I save a copy of the original installation just in case!)

While we're working towards having completely mergable products, right
now that isn't the case.  Generally, you want to install CW Pro first,
then install other products on top of it.  If the products are using the
same IDE, there's a good chance that will work, at least on Windows.
The places where you could have problems are the license.dat files (make
sure you merge those together manually) and any plugins that conflict
between the two.

Installing in different locations is safer, and should work fine for
anything produced since Pro 6 was released.

--

CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead

two CW's on one PC?

Post by Henr » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 00:40:13

Ben Combee:

Thanks for your response to my post:

>> Folks:

>> I'm adding CW7 to a PC that's already got CW for an embedded target.

>> Lacking any other advice, I simple installed the new CW in the default
>> location, "over" the existing one, which I also put in the default location.

>> It should be clear, but I'll state it anyway:  I really want to make sure
>> both installations function correctly and completely!

>> Will I regret this "over" installation?  What are the ins and outs?  Is
>> there a better way?

>> (I save a copy of the original installation just in case!)

> While we're working towards having completely mergable products, right
> now that isn't the case.  Generally, you want to install CW Pro first,
> then install other products on top of it.  If the products are using the
> same IDE, there's a good chance that will work, at least on Windows.
> The places where you could have problems are the license.dat files (make
> sure you merge those together manually) and any plugins that conflict
> between the two.

> Installing in different locations is safer, and should work fine for
> anything produced since Pro 6 was released.

As I said, I went ahead and did it...

There have been no problems so far.   I've operated both IDEs
simultaneously.   I checked that I can build a new plug-in in Pro and it
automagically appears in the other IDE when it's re-launched.

I haven't checked the versions of each, but I think they are about the same.

I had no problems with the license.   There were no instructions regarding
licensing, so I didn't do anything, and CW Pro simply worked from the
get-go.   The embedded CW wanted some data from the licensing czar at MW
headquarters, but I didn't see anything like that for CW Pro.
Auto-registration didn't return anything.

How would I know about which plug-ins conflict?  Error messages?  Crashes?

At this point, I don't see any point in fixing something that works.  If I
get into problems, I guess the best thing is to remove both and re-install
starting with Pro.

I'm puzzled about the question of merge-ability.  Why would the installers
put the stuff in the exact same default place if there were any problems
with this capability?  Would it not be better to use different default
install directories until this is proven?

By the way, I have been bitten in the past putting other tools in
non-default directories, so I resisted doing this unless proven necessary.

Thanks,

Henry

two CW's on one PC?

Post by Ben Combe » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 02:01:08

Quote:> There have been no problems so far.   I've operated both IDEs
> simultaneously.   I checked that I can build a new plug-in in Pro and it
> automagically appears in the other IDE when it's re-launched.

Can you confirm that both shortcuts point to the same IDE?  Are you sure
that you don't have parallel installs in your "Program
Files/Metrowerks" folder?  Try opening projects from one IDE in the
other -- if you can do that, then you really are merged.

Quote:> How would I know about which plug-ins conflict?  Error messages?  Crashes?

In general, things just would fail oddly.  Crashes are possible, but it
sounds like you actually have two separate installations from what
you've described.

--

CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead

two CW's on one PC?

Post by Henr » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 07:00:04

Ben Combee:

Thanks for your responses:

Quote:>> There have been no problems so far.   I've operated both IDEs
>> simultaneously.   I checked that I can build a new plug-in in Pro and it
>> automagically appears in the other IDE when it's re-launched.

> Can you confirm that both shortcuts point to the same IDE?  Are you sure
> that you don't have parallel installs in your "Program
> Files/Metrowerks" folder?  Try opening projects from one IDE in the
> other -- if you can do that, then you really are merged.

There are distinct Start Menu submenus for the Embedded IDE and the PC IDE.
Both contain "CodeWarrior IDE" as a specific (shortcut) choice, but both
shortcuts point to the same IDE.EXE.  I confirmed by search:  only one
IDE.EXE on the system (excepting some in "save" directories).

Quote:

>> How would I know about which plug-ins conflict?  Error messages?  Crashes?

> In general, things just would fail oddly.  Crashes are possible, but it
> sounds like you actually have two separate installations from what
> you've described.

I can open two (or more) instances of CW.  If I open an existing embedded
project in instance and build, that code works fine.   If I open an existing
PC project in the other and build, that code works fine, as far as I have
tested.

By the way, the "New-->Project" dialog includes about 3 alternatives for the
embedded target, about a dozen for PC target, and several indeterminate.
For example, I have no idea which target an "empty project" would be built
for... I guess I'll find out if necessary.

I see plug-ins relevant only for embedded when I'm doing PC-targeted
development -- a bit jarring, but not too bad.

It looks to me that I've got a totally merged installation.

Advice?

Thanks,

Henry

1. Two CM11A's & One PC ??

(I apologize in advance, because I have seen this question on this list
before, but all my searching though Deja.com couldn't evoke the answer.)

Is it possible use 2 CM11A's attached to one PC? My one HD11A doesn't have
enough room to store all the macros I would like to use.

I know that there would be a couple of issues here:

a) How would Active Home know which unit to send to?
    I would only plug one unit in at a time to download to.

b) The CM11A/HD11A can go crazy if not kept plugged into a serial port.
    I could plug them both into free serial ports - after shutting down
Active Home.

I can't think of any other issues - although I'm sure there are some. Can
this be done or is there another solution to my problem (hopefully an
economical one?)

Thanks in Advance,
Mark L

2. Intercepting an application's display output without actually displaying it.

3. Two PC's One Keyboard, Mouse, etc...

4. ===>Sparc 20 special<==

5. Got two XBOX's for Christmas One with Live one w/o

6. Sync'ing Palmtop with Exchange direct via RAS?

7. Help!: Layering two PDF's into one && Using one PDF as a template

8. Two vims: one has syntax working, one doesn't

9. Insert in 2 tables - Second insert fails then first, then second, then first...

10. VueScan with Two Scanners on one PC (Nikon 4000ED)???

11. Two graphics cards - one PC - how?

12. Two mice on one PC