Need an introduction to windows programming

Need an introduction to windows programming

Post by Jan Oetje » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 05:15:04

hi,

I just started programming windows. I program for long now, but I never
programmed windows. now that I received my CodeWarrior I feel somehow
stuck. I am unable to find a good book or even better a good online
tutorial on Windows MFC programming. Well actually I managed to make a
very small MFC program, with a simple menu bar but no interaction. Now I
simply tried to attach a CSplitterWnd to my small program... but I
didn't managed to make it work.

Is there anyone who can give my a link to a good MFC tutorial?

jan
--
...and thanx for the fish!

Need an introduction to windows programming

Post by MW Ro » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 02:59:11

Quote:>hi,

>I just started programming windows. I program for long now, but I never
>programmed windows. now that I received my CodeWarrior I feel somehow
>stuck. I am unable to find a good book or even better a good online
>tutorial on Windows MFC programming. Well actually I managed to make a
>very small MFC program, with a simple menu bar but no interaction. Now I
>simply tried to attach a CSplitterWnd to my small program... but I
>didn't managed to make it work.

Before you even attempt MFC  get Petzold's Programming Windows book.
This is the Bible of Windows programming.

Quote:>Is there anyone who can give my a link to a good MFC tutorial?

Unfortunately most of the books about MFC aren't really about MFC they
are about Visual Studio.  I haven't kept up with the newer MFC books but
if you see any that pique your attention,  I'll see what our engineers
say about them.

Ron

--
           Metrowerks has moved, our new address is now
                     7700 West Parmer Lane

Need an introduction to windows programming

Post by Neil Steine » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 05:12:37

Hi Jan,

I learned MFC from Jeff Prosise's "Programming Windows With MFC" a
number of years ago, and found it to be exceptionally good.  As MWRon
pointed out, most "MFC" books are actually books about Visual Studio,
but this one truly does teach MFC and only MFC, from the ground up, with
no assumption that you're using a Microsoft tool.  The book is very well
written and I highly recommend it.

Neil

> hi,

> I just started programming windows. I program for long now, but I never
> programmed windows. now that I received my CodeWarrior I feel somehow
> stuck. I am unable to find a good book or even better a good online
> tutorial on Windows MFC programming. Well actually I managed to make a
> very small MFC program, with a simple menu bar but no interaction. Now I
> simply tried to attach a CSplitterWnd to my small program... but I
> didn't managed to make it work.

> Is there anyone who can give my a link to a good MFC tutorial?

> jan
> --
> ...and thanx for the fish!

1. Need help writing a program for a pointer device in X-Windows

To whomever can help me:
        I am a student currently working on a flight simulator design
project.
My assigned task is to write a program for a pointer device (as yet
unknown, but probably either a track ball or touch pad)for X-Windows.  I
have very limited programming experience and I would appreciate any
help, direction, or point of contact/reference that you could provide me
with.
        Here are the details of my task:  I'm using SGI software and
programs
(7.1 "C" compiler) and running X-Windows (X-11)R6.  There are 3
different UNIX workstations, each driving different monitors and
programs for the flight simulator, all connected via ethernet using
TCP/IP protocol.  The pointer device has to be understood by all the
machines and with the click of 3 different buttons (not physically on
the pointer device), the pointer on the screen needs to switch to the
corresponding monitor (and also machine).  Basically one pointer device
for 3 different machines.
        I'm trying the write the code in "C", but if it would be easier
write it in "C++", that could be done also.  The program has to run with
SGI, but if it is easy to convert to GCC, that would be nice too.  If
you know of any "Man" files or "Makefiles" that could help me out.....as
mentioned:  any little bit of info. helps.

Much thanks for your time and effort in advance,
Tony Medaglia

(please e-mail me back directly)

2. Scopy and file slack space in Win2000

3. need help on window graphics programming

4. Motorola ISG CustSvc on Web

5. SENDTOWEB PLUGIN FOR WINDOWS DESKTOP 9X/2000 NO MORE NEED FOR FTP PROGRAMS 8050

6. Wanted: Codec chip Philips PCF5012AH

7. { Opinions needed for best PGP windows program }

8. 2019 problem

9. Does anyone need "Programming The Microsoft Windows Driver Model" with CD?

10. Need Windows 95 command-line zip program.

11. X10 C-Programming on Windows-95: Help needed

12. Need help with linear programming graph in Quattro Pro for Windows

13. 7PM, 19 Feb 2002: "Introduction to Corba Programming"