Newbie: what can I do with CodeWarrior/Win

Newbie: what can I do with CodeWarrior/Win

Post by Roger Pear » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:58:02

I've been working with VC++, and have just acquired a copy of CW6.
I've found it hard to get an overview of what I can do with this, and
it would be very nice if I could develop my C++ code to run on both PC
and Mac.

My impression is that it is possible to build Mac executables, on my
PC -- is this correct?

Likewise, I could see nothing for GUI building -- how should I do
this, on Mac?

I did look at the Metrowerks site, but it seemed to expect I knew more
about CW than I do.  Is there some 'start here' link?

All the best,

Roger Pearse

Newbie: what can I do with CodeWarrior/Win

Post by MW Ro » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:40:38

Quote:>I've been working with VC++, and have just acquired a copy of CW6.
>I've found it hard to get an overview of what I can do with this, and
>it would be very nice if I could develop my C++ code to run on both PC
>and Mac.

>My impression is that it is possible to build Mac executables, on my
>PC -- is this correct?

Yes that is correct.

Quote:>Likewise, I could see nothing for GUI building -- how should I do
>this, on Mac?

We do not have Graphical resource editors,  you will need to use a third
party editor or script it.  The CodeWarrior Examples on the Reference CD
have many Win32 examples and there are some good scripts there to learn
from.

Quote:>I did look at the Metrowerks site, but it seemed to expect I knew more
>about CW than I do.  Is there some 'start here' link?

I understand.  Metrowerks is basically the tools we are not trying to
teach someone how to program.  We do have CodeWarrior U
http://www.codewarrioru.com  which has some free programming classes.
You might want to check it out.

Ron

--
           Metrowerks has moved, our new address is now
                     7700 West Parmer Lane

Post by Roger Pear » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:55:54

> >I've been working with VC++, and have just acquired a copy of CW6.
> >I've found it hard to get an overview of what I can do with this, and
> >it would be very nice if I could develop my C++ code to run on both PC
> >and Mac.

> >My impression is that it is possible to build Mac executables, on my
> >PC -- is this correct?

> Yes that is correct.

Thank you.  The help file was remarkably ambiguous on this basic point
-- surely a big selling point, actually?

Quote:> >Likewise, I could see nothing for GUI building -- how should I do
> >this, on Mac?

> We do not have Graphical resource editors,  you will need to use a third
> party editor or script it.  The CodeWarrior Examples on the Reference CD
> have many Win32 examples and there are some good scripts there to learn
> from.

Not quite what I wanted to know.  In Windows you can do it all with
the SDK, or the MFC.  So, I had hoped to find out what you do in the
Mac world, and how to do it for cross-platform portability.    No
doubt there are some frameworks around.

Quote:> >I did look at the Metrowerks site, but it seemed to expect I knew more
> >about CW than I do.  Is there some 'start here' link?

> I understand.  Metrowerks is basically the tools we are not trying to
> teach someone how to program.  We do have CodeWarrior U
> http://www.codewarrioru.com  which has some free programming classes.
> You might want to check it out.

Thank you for the suggestion, although if I didn't know how to program
I certainly wouldn't be well advised to start there, would I.  But the
site seems to have some intros to your toolset, which is what I was
after, so thank you for the tip!

All the best,

Roger Pearse

Newbie: what can I do with CodeWarrior/Win

Post by MW Ro » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:13:45

Quote:>> We do not have Graphical resource editors,  you will need to use a third
>> party editor or script it.  The CodeWarrior Examples on the Reference CD
>> have many Win32 examples and there are some good scripts there to learn
>> from.

>Not quite what I wanted to know.  In Windows you can do it all with
>the SDK, or the MFC.  So, I had hoped to find out what you do in the
>Mac world, and how to do it for cross-platform portability.    No
>doubt there are some frameworks around.

In Windows you still can do it with the SDK or MFC  for some things.
This is no different.  Likewise on a Mac there are Carbon Toolbox
routines or Mach-O  routines that let you do dialogs and such as part of
the API.

I thought you were looking for a Graphical tool for Windows.  On Mac we
have Interface Builder for OS X and we have ResEdit for OS 9.   We don't
have any resource editor for Windows.  There are some utilities that let
you convert things.  I think there is a utility on the Cool Demo's SDKs
and Tools stuff.

Quote:>> I understand.  Metrowerks is basically the tools we are not trying to
>> teach someone how to program.  We do have CodeWarrior U
>> http://www.codewarrioru.com  which has some free programming classes.
>> You might want to check it out.

>Thank you for the suggestion, although if I didn't know how to program
>I certainly wouldn't be well advised to start there, would I.  But the
>site seems to have some intros to your toolset, which is what I was
>after, so thank you for the tip!

look at our white papers, Do the tutorials, run the example projects and
such.  If you don't have CodeWarrior yet  we have a "free" evaluation
version for $10 s/h  you can play with it.

If you have other questions feel free to ask.

Ron

--

Post by Roger Pear » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:43:46

> look at our white papers, Do the tutorials, run the example projects and
> such.  If you don't have CodeWarrior yet  we have a "free" evaluation
> version for $10 s/h  you can play with it.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to answer my queries.
Getting to grips with an unfamiliar OS and toolset is always
time-consuming.

Quote:> If you have other questions feel free to ask.

Very kind -- thank you.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

1. Looking for a Win 3.x / Win 95 equivalent of Shez (for DOS)

For years I have been using Shez, a DOS-based shell that allowed me to
manipulate many different compressed files from a more "intuitive" and
integrated interface. Now that I've moved to Windows 95 and long file
names, I would like to know if there is anything similar to Shez, but
for Windows. Shez seems to have been abandoned by the author, so I don't
think we'll see a Windows version from him.

The closest to Shez I've found until now is WinPack. The problem with
those Win-based shells is that they do not support that many compression
formats. I'm looking for one that can at least work with ZIP, ARJ, RAR
and UC2.

                    Guia do brasileiro na Internet
         http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/1233/index.html

2. Mouse & Remote operations

3. doing evaluation of VT terminal emulators for DOS/Win

4. IOPL settings

5. newbie: Can CodeWarrior convert an win32 MFC app. to Mac?

6. Database Setup for ASP.NET

7. CodeWarrior Newbie Needs Help

8. Slow access to shared folders - Again-Update

9. CodeWarrior doing wrong jsr

10. Newbie to Codewarrior / How do I convert the creator Id to string

11. Codewarrior for newbies?

12. Embedded Codewarrior - where are the codewarrior groups?

13. Codewarrior won't launch!!