Command line tools & palm OS 5

Post by John MacCallu » Thu, 02 May 2002 02:31:21

I've just started doing some palm OS 5 development with code warrior
4.04, however I'd like to be able to drive the build process directly from
the command line, without using the IDE and without using .mcp files
(basically, without using code warrior).

I can, of course, call armcc from the command line to generate a .axf
file, I'm just not sure what code warrior is doing to create the .prc,
and the process doesn't appear to be documented as the SDK assumes
code warrior will be used.  Is there any way to get code warrior to
tell you exactly what it is doing at each stage of the build, or any
other way of finding this out?

--
John MacCallum

Command line tools & palm OS 5

Post by Ben Combe » Thu, 02 May 2002 14:59:22

Quote:

> I've just started doing some palm OS 5 development with code warrior
> 4.04, however I'd like to be able to drive the build process directly from
> the command line, without using the IDE and without using .mcp files
> (basically, without using code warrior).

> I can, of course, call armcc from the command line to generate a .axf
> file, I'm just not sure what code warrior is doing to create the .prc,
> and the process doesn't appear to be documented as the SDK assumes
> code warrior will be used.  Is there any way to get code warrior to
> tell you exactly what it is doing at each stage of the build, or any
> other way of finding this out?

What tools are you using?  Palm OS 5 development uses the 68K toolset
included in CodeWarrior for Palm OS V8.  We don't supply an ARM compiler
for Palm OS targets yet.

Note: ARM Ltd. sells an embedded toolset built around the CodeWarrior
IDE.  I think the ADM SDT 2.5 uses IDE 4.0.4, which is where you're
getting the version confusion.  I understand that PalmSource and many
licensees are using this toolset to build their Palm OS 5
configurations, but on OS 5, PRC files are still 68K based, although
they can contain ARM code segments.

BTW, our 68K tools are not usable from the command line, other than
invoking the IDE from the command shell to build a project.  We're
working on this for a future release, but the current problem is that we
only have the PalmRez Post-Linker in IDE plugin form.

--

CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead
Get help at http://palmoswerks.com/

Command line tools & palm OS 5

Post by John MacCallu » Thu, 02 May 2002 18:45:53

>> I've just started doing some palm OS 5 development with code warrior
>> 4.04, however I'd like to be able to drive the build process directly from
>> the command line, without using the IDE and without using .mcp files
>> (basically, without using code warrior).

>> I can, of course, call armcc from the command line to generate a .axf
>> file, I'm just not sure what code warrior is doing to create the .prc,
>> and the process doesn't appear to be documented as the SDK assumes
>> code warrior will be used.  Is there any way to get code warrior to
>> tell you exactly what it is doing at each stage of the build, or any
>> other way of finding this out?

> What tools are you using?  Palm OS 5 development uses the 68K toolset
> included in CodeWarrior for Palm OS V8.  We don't supply an ARM compiler
> for Palm OS targets yet.

> Note: ARM Ltd. sells an embedded toolset built around the CodeWarrior
> IDE.  I think the ADM SDT 2.5 uses IDE 4.0.4, which is where you're
> getting the version confusion.

This is indeed the version of CodeWarrior that I'm using, with a
plugin SDK for Palm OS 5 running on an Xscale development board.

Quote:> I understand that PalmSource and many licensees are using this
> toolset to build their Palm OS 5 configurations, but on OS 5, PRC
> files are still 68K based, although they can contain ARM code
> segments.

Well, the demos supplied with the SDK build OK, and I don't have a 68K
compiler installed.  CodeWarrior builds an ARM axf image as it would
if I was building for any other ARM target and then works some magic
to generate a prc, it's what process it's going through to do this
that I can't quite follow.  Is there no way of making CodeWarrior
display exactly what it's doing when it calls an external tool?

Quote:> BTW, our 68K tools are not usable from the command line, other than
> invoking the IDE from the command shell to build a project.  We're
> working on this for a future release, but the current problem is that we
> only have the PalmRez Post-Linker in IDE plugin form.

I understood there to be a problem with PalmRez from looking at the
group archives on google, However looking at the Target Settings for
the supplied demo programs I see that it's using PalmPRC PostLinker as
the Post-linker, PalmRez doesn't seem to be involved in the build
process.

Thanks for your help,

--
John MacCallum

Command line tools & palm OS 5

Post by Ben Combe » Thu, 02 May 2002 23:32:25

Quote:> Well, the demos supplied with the SDK build OK, and I don't have a 68K
> compiler installed.  CodeWarrior builds an ARM axf image as it would
> if I was building for any other ARM target and then works some magic
> to generate a prc, it's what process it's going through to do this
> that I can't quite follow.  Is there no way of making CodeWarrior
> display exactly what it's doing when it calls an external tool?

The CodeWarrior IDE supports a plugin interface for calling compilers
and linkers.  So, in this case, it sounds like they have some sort of
post-linker plugin that is doing the AXF to PRC conversion.  If it is
calling an external command line tool, its doing it on the plugin side
of the interface, so the CW IDE doesn't have any visibility into what it
is doing other than the callbacks it gets from the plugin.

Look at what tools are selected in your Target Settings panel.  That may
provide a clue -- you can map those tools to DLL files in the
bin/Plugins folder, then see who created those to tell what is going on.

--

CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead
Get help at http://palmoswerks.com/

1. Shell Command Line Length & Command Line Function Resolution

I am trying to update the tornado 2.0.2 vxworks kernel for two different
issues:

1) I would like to increase the maximum command buffer length for the serial
terminal.  It is currently limited to 128 characters.  I cannot find a #define
for that value.

2) I would like to have overloaded functions automatically resolved for command
line execution to the non-object function as follows:

foo(int,int)
foo_obj::foo(int,int)

When entering foo(0,1) at the serial command line, I want it automatically
resolved to the function foo() and not foo_obj::foo().  The shell prompts for
function resolution, but I don't want our users burdoned with that question
since they will always be referring to foo() and not foo_obj::foo().

2. SVGA-problems..

3. FA:Codewarrior 5:Palm OS/Conduit SDK 3.0/Palm OS book (360 pages)

4. C-Editor

5. Two subjects: shell command length & command line overloaded function resolution

6. networking in MSDOS

7. Coalescing command-line and command-line-window?

8. Protocols

9. Palm OS 3.5+ Emulator debugging issues versus Palm Certification

10. Using Palm SDK 3.5 with CW for Palm OS R6 (on the Mac)

11. Palm Debugger - Target = Palm OS device

12. Palm OS Development Tool

13. Metrowerks announces new Palm OS Tools