Win32 Linker Problem

Win32 Linker Problem

Post by Christian Schmi » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:56:05



Hi,

a problem with the win32 linker in CW 8.3: It's not smart.

Steps to reproduce:

1. make a new project based on the Win32 Console C Static Runtime
   template.
2. Select the release target.
3. Compile
4. You find a 56k big file.

5. Add this line to the hello.c file:
static char testarray[1024000]={1};

6. Compile
7. File size is over 1 MB!

it looks like the linker is not very smart on removing unused stuff from
the executeable file.

Any idea how this can be fixed?
(some settings?)

PS: The Mac compiler has not such problems.

Mfg
Christian

--
Four thousand functions in one REALbasic plug-in. The MBS Plugin.

<http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/realbasic/plugins.html>

 
 
 

Win32 Linker Problem

Post by MW Ro » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:48:34




Quote:>Hi,

>a problem with the win32 linker in CW 8.3: It's not smart.

This is a known bug  but I don't have any ETA for a fix or an update.

Ron

Quote:>Steps to reproduce:

>1. make a new project based on the Win32 Console C Static Runtime
>   template.
>2. Select the release target.
>3. Compile
>4. You find a 56k big file.

>5. Add this line to the hello.c file:
>static char testarray[1024000]={1};

>6. Compile
>7. File size is over 1 MB!

>it looks like the linker is not very smart on removing unused stuff from
>the executeable file.

>Any idea how this can be fixed?
>(some settings?)

>PS: The Mac compiler has not such problems.

>Mfg
>Christian

--
           Metrowerks has moved, our new address is now
                     7700 West Parmer Lane
                       Austin, TX 78729
        Sales and Support 512-996-5300   800-377-5416    


 
 
 

Win32 Linker Problem

Post by Christian Schmi » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:36:06





> >Hi,

> >a problem with the win32 linker in CW 8.3: It's not smart.

> This is a known bug  but I don't have any ETA for a fix or an update.

Bad. Even not fixed for 9.0?
(I buy it in this case ;-)

Mfg
Christian

--
Four thousand functions in one REALbasic plug-in. The MBS Plugin.

<http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/realbasic/plugins.html>

 
 
 

Win32 Linker Problem

Post by MW Ro » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:28:40







>> >Hi,

>> >a problem with the win32 linker in CW 8.3: It's not smart.

>> This is a known bug  but I don't have any ETA for a fix or an update.

>Bad. Even not fixed for 9.0?

I Was told it is fixed in  CW 9 but I didn't try it yet.

Ron

--
           Metrowerks has moved, our new address is now
                     7700 West Parmer Lane
                       Austin, TX 78729
        Sales and Support 512-996-5300   800-377-5416    

 
 
 

1. Win32 x86 Linker caused exception

Hi,

Using Codewarrior 5.3 on WinXP (also tried on Win98, but same error).
I am getting an error when compiling:

Codewarrior Plugin Error
Win32 x86 Linker caused exception 0xc0000005. Please terminate the IDE
& report the problem.

What is causing this, and how do I go about fixing it?  Thanks for any
help.

Scott

2. Path to procset.ps in Vim?

3. GNU linker: command line switches and linker scripts

4. Error connecting to Sql server2000 using SQL-DMO and ASP.NET/VB.NET. A bug?

5. DICOM talk help

6. Could not find linker "MacOS 68K Linker" for target xxxx.rsrc.68k

7. Video problems

8. Mac-compiled Win32-target lib OK in Win32 IDE?

9. Is lcc-win32 used to compile lcc-win32?

10. Linker Script Problem - VxWorks MIPS32 C PU 4Kp

11. Linker Script Problem - VxWorks MIPS32 CPU 4Kp

12. Corruption of screen output - possible linker problem???