Win32 x86 Linker caused exception

Post by Scot » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 09:08:22

Hi,

Using Codewarrior 5.3 on WinXP (also tried on Win98, but same error).
I am getting an error when compiling:

Codewarrior Plugin Error
Win32 x86 Linker caused exception 0xc0000005. Please terminate the IDE
& report the problem.

What is causing this, and how do I go about fixing it?  Thanks for any
help.

Scott

Win32 x86 Linker caused exception

Post by Ben Combe » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 12:39:42

Quote:> Hi,

> Using Codewarrior 5.3 on WinXP (also tried on Win98, but same error).
> I am getting an error when compiling:

> Codewarrior Plugin Error
> Win32 x86 Linker caused exception 0xc0000005. Please terminate the IDE
> & report the problem.

> What is causing this, and how do I go about fixing it?  Thanks for any
> help.

There is nowhere near enough information here to tell you the cause.
The "0xc0000005" exception is like "segment fault" on UNIX -- it means
that it crashed, but doesn't give any context.

What are you trying to do with the tools?  Also, note that CW Pro 5.3 is
over three years old, with release 6, 7, and 8 coming out since then,
and its no longer supported by Metrowerks.
--

CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead
Get help at http://palmoswerks.com/

Win32 x86 Linker caused exception

Post by Scot » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 13:59:51

Thanks for the response...

Quote:>There is nowhere near enough information here to tell you the cause.
>The "0xc0000005" exception is like "segment fault" on UNIX -- it means
>that it crashed, but doesn't give any context.

>What are you trying to do with the tools?  Also, note that CW Pro 5.3 is
>over three years old, with release 6, 7, and 8 coming out since then,
>and its no longer supported by Metrowerks.

I understand that it is quite old, but it has worked fine until now.
All I am trying to do is Make a project.  It is a piece of software
that has compiled many times under Codewarrior 5, and we've updated it
and fixed a few bugs, and now on two different machines this error
comes up.  I have tested an earlier version of our software, and it
compiles fine.  So, it would appear that one of our code changes has
caused this behaviour, but I'm not sure at all what it could be.
Perhaps that is of some help?

Thanks again,

Scott

Win32 x86 Linker caused exception

Post by Conrad Weyn » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 15:50:30

Quote:> Hi,

> Using Codewarrior 5.3 on WinXP (also tried on Win98, but same error).
> I am getting an error when compiling:

> Codewarrior Plugin Error
> Win32 x86 Linker caused exception 0xc0000005. Please terminate the IDE
> & report the problem.

> What is causing this, and how do I go about fixing it?  Thanks for any
> help.

Scott, this is probably a long shot and unrelated. I have just been through
this with Pro 8.2. The linker crashed on new classes that had been
introduced in an old framework. These used a fair bit of templates and were
*exported* in a dll. If I did not export them, the linker made it.

(if there are any, form back then :-).
They'll contact you. I got excellent support myself.

Cheers,
Conrad.

Quote:

> Scott

Win32 x86 Linker caused exception

Post by Ed Swart » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 23:53:59

Quote:> I understand that it is quite old, but it has worked fine until now.
> All I am trying to do is Make a project.  It is a piece of software
> that has compiled many times under Codewarrior 5, and we've updated it
> and fixed a few bugs, and now on two different machines this error
> comes up.  I have tested an earlier version of our software, and it
> compiles fine.  So, it would appear that one of our code changes has
> caused this behaviour, but I'm not sure at all what it could be.
> Perhaps that is of some help?

Well, we still don't have enough information.  Is it a C++ program?  Plain
C?  Using exports/imports?  If so, via *.def files or
__declspec(dllimport/dllexport)?  Are you building a DLL, an executable, or
a static library?  Are you building on MacOS or Windows?

A reproducible case would be quite useful too.  ;)

-- Ed

Post by MW Ro » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 01:13:23

>Hi,

>Using Codewarrior 5.3 on WinXP (also tried on Win98, but same error).
>I am getting an error when compiling:

>Codewarrior Plugin Error
>Win32 x86 Linker caused exception 0xc0000005. Please terminate the IDE
>& report the problem.

>What is causing this, and how do I go about fixing it?  Thanks for any
>help.

Check your precompiled header,  Often there is a problem linking when
the precompiled header is  incorrect.  Go ahead and create a new one.

If that is OK trash the date folder for your project and try that.

Try creating a new project from stationery and see if that causes any
linker errors , maybe try a couple of the CodeWarrior examples  find out
for sure if this is your project or CodeWarrior

I can check to see if the project builds on CW 8 but there is little I
can do but give you things to try for CW 5.3

Ron

--
  Do what you do best and let Metrowerks do the rest !!
  http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Services/SSG/default.htm

 Metrowerks, maker of CodeWarrior  -  "Software Starts Here"

Win32 x86 Linker caused exception

Post by Scot » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:41:59

Thanks for the responses...

>>Hi,

>>Using Codewarrior 5.3 on WinXP (also tried on Win98, but same error).
>>I am getting an error when compiling:

>>Codewarrior Plugin Error
>>Win32 x86 Linker caused exception 0xc0000005. Please terminate the IDE
>>& report the problem.

>>What is causing this, and how do I go about fixing it?  Thanks for any
>>help.

>Check your precompiled header,  Often there is a problem linking when
>the precompiled header is  incorrect.  Go ahead and create a new one.

There are no precompiled headers, unless you are referring to those
provided with Codewarrior.

Quote:>If that is OK trash the date folder for your project and try that.

I'm not sure what this is.  Just as a little background, this is a
medium sized Windows/Mac program being developed, and I am not the
main programmer.  I have quite a bit of Windows experience, so I was
lending a hand with some issues the program is having on the Windows
side, but I am not a professional programmer.  Codewarrior 5 is the
IDE being used to allow for relatively easy cross-platform
development, but I am not particularly familiar with it.  So, if my
questions appear a little uninformed, please bear with me.

Quote:>Try creating a new project from stationery and see if that causes any
>linker errors , maybe try a couple of the CodeWarrior examples  find out
>for sure if this is your project or CodeWarrior

It doesn't appear to be a Codewarrior issue, as I can compile earlier
versions of the program.  So, it would appear that one of the recent
bug fixes or code changes have caused this behaviour only with the
latest version of our code.

Quote:>I can check to see if the project builds on CW 8 but there is little I
>can do but give you things to try for CW 5.3

Thanks, but the program is quite large (about 85 MB or so), and I
don't really have the authorization to distribute the code anyways.

I have one other new item to add: after changing the debugging
settings, instead of the generic error, I am now getting a series of
Link Error: Undefined Symbol errors.  Would these be related to the
initial error?  Thanks again for all the help.

Scott

Win32 x86 Linker caused exception

Post by MW Ro » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 12:13:17

A project file has a mirror folder that contains the object code and
other data used for that project.  If you have corrupted files, trashing
this data folder will quickly clean them out.  You can also use remove
object code and compact from the project menu to do this task.

Quote:>I have one other new item to add: after changing the debugging
>settings, instead of the generic error, I am now getting a series of
>Link Error: Undefined Symbol errors.  Would these be related to the
>initial error?  Thanks again for all the help.

It could be if you had old object code that thought there was some data
there and was linking against that cache and not the actual library or
precompiled header.

for example if you upgraded from CW 5 to 5.3 and you did not rebuild the
precompiled headers or more probably you did not remove the object code
in your project so that was still cached.  It would link fine but it
would build with incorrect object code and crash.

Resolve the missing linker errors  (they are missing source files, name
mangling or libraries that are missing).

Ron

--
  Do what you do best and let Metrowerks do the rest !!
  http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Services/SSG/default.htm

 Metrowerks, maker of CodeWarrior  -  "Software Starts Here"

Win32 x86 Linker caused exception

Post by Scot » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 04:06:25

Quote:>A project file has a mirror folder that contains the object code and
>other data used for that project.  If you have corrupted files, trashing
>this data folder will quickly clean them out.  You can also use remove
>object code and compact from the project menu to do this task.

Thanks, I did this.

Quote:>Resolve the missing linker errors  (they are missing source files, name
>mangling or libraries that are missing).

And I have resolved the linker errors.  When I bring the project up to
date (Ctrl-U), everything compiles fine... no errors.  However, when I
try to run it (Ctrl-F5), I'm back to getting the first generic error.
I'll keep looking, and perhaps contact the main programmer to see what
changes he has made since the last version.  Thanks again for your
help.

Scott

Post by MW Ro » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 05:54:49

>>A project file has a mirror folder that contains the object code and
>>other data used for that project.  If you have corrupted files, trashing
>>this data folder will quickly clean them out.  You can also use remove
>>object code and compact from the project menu to do this task.

>Thanks, I did this.

>>Resolve the missing linker errors  (they are missing source files, name
>>mangling or libraries that are missing).

>And I have resolved the linker errors.  When I bring the project up to
>date (Ctrl-U), everything compiles fine... no errors.  However, when I
>try to run it (Ctrl-F5), I'm back to getting the first generic error.
>I'll keep looking, and perhaps contact the main programmer to see what
>changes he has made since the last version.  Thanks again for your
>help.

Make sure you have the correct precompiled headers.  If you updated and
installed a patch  you have to rebuild the libraries and precompiled
headers  if you have a bad version or mix matched files that can cause a
problem.

Next turn off the de* starting at main and instead put a breakpoint
in all of your initialization code  see if you can debug into the
initialization code.  It may be that your code is breaking on some
global initializations.

Ron

--
  Do what you do best and let Metrowerks do the rest !!
  http://www.veryComputer.com/

 Metrowerks, maker of CodeWarrior  -  "Software Starts Here"

1. WTB: Linker and locater for embedded x86 -new or used!

Looking for software package to produce ROMable output from Watcom,
Borland or MS C/C++ compilers for a 386EX project.

I'm not looking for a copy, I want to purchase a registered version, I
just don't need the latest and greatest package.

Email info and asking price,

John

J. Strupat Technologies Ltd.
London ON
CANADA

2. nsservice.exe

3. free 32 bit x86 Compiler, Assembler, Linker Available

4. PWS problem: winsock2 won't install

5. Win32 Linker Problem

6. FORSALE: 68020 VME System $650

7. java linker exception

8. looking for a script for date

9. vxWorks Tornado 2.2 x86-win32 host using cygwin?

10. inflate.exe needed for x86-win32

11. redundant declarations in Tornado2 x86-win32 headerfiles

12. X86-win32 NFS Server

13. CW Mac Target --> CW Win32 x86 Target