Problems with V8.0 tutorial

Post by Paul Ree » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 22:13:59

Hi all,

I've recently been working my way through the tutorial provided with demo
CodeWarrior V8.0. and I've hit a couple of problems:

1. Basically, when I try to 'make' at the end of Lesson 7, the CodeWarrior
IDE closes down without any messages or warnings. It is the same on two
different machines running different (Windows)OS's. The result is the
same whether continuing from a previous lesson or starting from that point
by copying the relevant files from the 'Errand' folder.

2. From lesson 10 on, info. entered into the database keeps cropping up in
the wrong places, i.e. Tues Errands appear in Sun in the 'Create' form, but
sometimes correctly in the 'View' form. Also, sometimes spurious ASCII
characters are pre-pended. I must admit that I've confused myself a little
here with exactly what is happening here, but the fault is always present
regardless of whether continuing from a previous lesson or starting from
that point by copying the relevant files from the 'Errand' folder, hard
re-setting the POSE, etc. It looks to me like some kind of 'off by one'
pointer error...

I understand that Metrowerks do not provide support for the demo version
but I'm interested in whether other people have experienced similar
problems (at least with the tutorial).

I am assessing CodeWarrior with a view to buy, and at the moment my
impression is 'nice but a little buggy'. Would that be a fair assessment?

All the best

Paul Rees

Problems with V8.0 tutorial

Post by Paul Ree » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:33:11

Quote:> I've recently been working my way through the tutorial provided with demo
> CodeWarrior V8.0. and I've hit a couple of problems:
> 2. From lesson 10 on, info. entered into the database keeps cropping up in
> the wrong places, i.e. Tues Errands appear in Sun in the 'Create' form,
but
> sometimes correctly in the 'View' form. Also, sometimes spurious ASCII
> characters are pre-pended. I must admit that I've confused myself a little
> here with exactly what is happening here, but the fault is always present
> regardless of whether continuing from a previous lesson or starting from
> that point by copying the relevant files from the 'Errand' folder, hard
> re-setting the POSE, etc. It looks to me like some kind of 'off by one'
> pointer error...

To follow-up my own post...

The above problem can be clearly seen when using a de-bug ROM and selecting
'Sun' in the create form. Immediately the contents of some other memory
location appear...

All the best,

Paul Rees

1. Poor performance using interactive SAS through CDE/Xwindows -VMS/V8.2, Solaris/V8.2

Nick,

We certainly think of the interactive performance of SAS using Xwindows on OpenVMS to be sluggish at best.  However, I just completed some simple timings for populating an open file dialog box (with perhaps 12 - 15 entries).  In each of these cases SAS was invoked from a DECterm (or Xterm window, not CDE)  For OpenVMS the times for three trials were all under 5 seconds; for Tru64 Unix the times for three trials were all under 3 seconds.

Ken Moody
First Health, Metrics Department
Voice: 916-374-3924

hello.

when invoking an interactive SAS version 8.2 session on Open VMS
through CDE/Xwindows, it takes from 15 to 20 seconds to populate the
open file dialog box each time.  the same poor performance is seen for
a number of other dialog boxes like Save As.  i have heard two stories
on this from SI support.

1.  this poor performance is a known issue for version 8.2 when using
Xwindows for all platforms - no fix.
2. this poor performance is a known issue for version 8.2 on VMS only
when using Xwindows - no fix.

we're thinking of moving to Solaris and SI support has told me that
tests they have run on the Solaris/V8.2 combination show that the
dialog boxes populate immediately.  so i'm getting a mixed message
here.  anybody out there have personal experience that can either
support or refute these claims?

thanks,

nick

2. No online Platform SDK Documentation?

3. Poor performance using interactive SAS through CDE/Xwindows - VMS/V8.2, Solaris/V8.2

4. Weather??

5. Upgrading from v8.0 to v8.2

6. scott adams for ccs64 emu

7. Help on extremely strange error/behavior in call execute, differe nt in v6,v8,v8.2????

8. Appointment Synchronisation

9. SAS V8.2 upgrade from V8.1

10. Should I upgrade SAS v8.0 to v8.1

11. Should I upgrade SAS v8.0 to v8.1 - PROC REPORT fails in 8.1

12. sas V6 TO V8 -- one issue: moving certain "picture" formats from v6 to v8

13. NEW tutorial! * FREE * PC Interfacing Tutorials