greyscale

Post by DaveO » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 01:41:03

I am trying to draw lines and rectangles in 4-bit color (16-level
greyscale), and I'm just going in circles in the docs trying to figure out
how.  Apparently most people use bitmaps for graphics, because that seems to
be how the docs are oriented.  Can anyone describe or provide a few lines of
code that will set the current draw color to a given index, e.g. 0~15?

Also, all the ROM images I have tried show only black-and-white screens,
even the 500.  This can't be right... even if I do set a greyscale
correctly, I'm not convinced I will see it in POSE.

Thanks,
Dave Overbeck

greyscale

Post by Ben Combe » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 16:44:52

Quote:> I am trying to draw lines and rectangles in 4-bit color (16-level
> greyscale), and I'm just going in circles in the docs trying to figure
out
> how.  Apparently most people use bitmaps for graphics, because that
seems to
> be how the docs are oriented.  Can anyone describe or provide a few
lines of
> code that will set the current draw color to a given index, e.g. 0~15?

> Also, all the ROM images I have tried show only black-and-white
screens,
> even the 500.  This can't be right... even if I do set a greyscale
> correctly, I'm not convinced I will see it in POSE.

You need to set the screen mode to grayscale first.  You can do this
either manually (download an application like Toggle
(http://www.ardiri.com/index.php?redir=palm&cat=toggle) and set the
default mode to GS), or do it in your program code using a call to
WinScreenMode.

Once you're in grayscale mode, call WinSetForeColor to set the drawing
color, then call WinDrawLine or WinPaintLine to draw a line from point
to point.

1. CMYK versus Greyscale option on greyscale images?

I am getting ready to send a PDF file to a book printer. I have their
Distiller options. The book text (everything except the cover) has no
color and has been developed using FrameMaker 6.0. It includes some
black and white photos as TIFF files and maps done in CorelDraw 9.

My maps are exported from CorelDraw as EPS files. CorelDraw has an
option when exporting to "send bitmaps as"  "CMYK, RGB, or Greyscale."

I used the CMYK option rather than Greyscale. I now wonder if I should
have used the Greyscale option. My maps contain no colors - only
shades of grey. When I distill to PDF and print on my laser printer,
the book looks fine, but I do not want to create a problem to be found
at the book printer.

Should I re-export the images using the Greyscale option or will it
make no difference at the book printer? I am asking because there are
125 maps and it will take a few hours to re-export them.

Paul Ferguson

2. Running DRDOS session under OS/2 2.0

3. Advice on greyscale please

4. sale/trade: Chromatek Model 1920 Scan Converter

5. Vuescan problem scanning in greyscale on ScanWit 2720

6. acr: reload?

7. PaperPort 8.0 greyscale printing problem

8. Black greyscale scans from Agfa E20 (mac)

9. ASTRA 1200S 3.1 EPROM - Fixes B&W greyscale OCR problems Win2000 support

10. MagicScan 4.2 - No Greyscale

11. ASTRA 1200S 3.1 EPROM $10 -- Fixes B&W, greyscale, OCR problems

12. GET ASTRA 1200S 3.1 FIRMWARE FOR $10 -- fixes B&W, greyscale, and OCR problems.