Porting Programs from Codewarrior 5.0 to Codewarrior 8.0

Porting Programs from Codewarrior 5.0 to Codewarrior 8.0

Post by Aliasgar Pocketwa » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:08:36

Hi,

I had written a small Palm application in Codewarrior 5.0. This
application works absolutely fine.

After getting the Codewarrior 8.0, I tried to open my 5.0 project in
Codewarrior 8.0. After giving an intial dialog telling me that the
project would need to be modified it opened up after giving me a few
errors.

One of the project errors that is gives me is
" The following access path in target "Sales" cannot be found:
  {Compiler}Palm OS 3.0 Support"

When I try to compile my code the header files dont open.

Is there any specific setting that I need to set in the project or
Linker properties that I am unaware of.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem

Regards
Ali

Porting Programs from Codewarrior 5.0 to Codewarrior 8.0

Post by Vinu Ra » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:22:31

Quote:> Hi,

> I had written a small Palm application in Codewarrior 5.0. This
> application works absolutely fine.

> After getting the Codewarrior 8.0, I tried to open my 5.0 project in
> Codewarrior 8.0. After giving an intial dialog telling me that the
> project would need to be modified it opened up after giving me a few
> errors.

> One of the project errors that is gives me is
> " The following access path in target "Sales" cannot be found:
>   {Compiler}Palm OS 3.0 Support"

> When I try to compile my code the header files dont open.

> Is there any specific setting that I need to set in the project or
> Linker properties that I am unaware of.

> Can anyone shed some light on this problem

> Regards
> Ali

The errors that you are receiving are due to an incompatibility between the
different versions of the Palm OS SDKs that you are using. The Palm OS SDK
that was included with CW for Palm release 5 (SDK 3.0) is an older version
than the SDK that is included with CW for Palm version 8 (SDK 4.0). Palm has
made numerous changes to their SDK from version 3.0 to 3.5 and above. You
will ultimately have to convert the older project to work with the newer
SDK.

The following are instructions for converting to 4.0:
Since you were developing with the 3.0 SDK and now are developing with
the 4.0 SDK, there are a few things you should be aware of. To convert your
project to the newer SDK, you will need to do at least these three things:

1. Change your access path to look for the 4.0 SDK. Go into
Edit-{target} Settings in the Access Path panel, and click the radio
button for system paths. Then click on the line for the Palm OS 3.0
Support folder and click Change to navigate to the Palm OS Support
folder in your version 8 installation. This should resolve the access path
error you were seeing.
2. Change all the places where you have #include <Pilot.h> to #include
<PalmOS.h>. The API changed pretty significantly, so Pilot.h doesn't
exist anymore.
3. Add a #include <PalmCompatibility.h> line in all your source files
right after you include PalmOS.h to handle all the typedef
incompatibilities. This is a file that remaps all the old typedefs from
the 3.1 SDK to the new typedefs in the 3.5 and above SDKs.

You may also have to correct non-ANSI-compliant code, as the compiler
in version 8 is stricter than the one in earlier releases.

For more information on converting projects from older SDKs, please refer to
the following article from the developer knowledge base:
http://oasis.palm.com/dev/kb/papers/1710.cfm. This article discusses how to
convert your project to the 3.5 SDK; however, converting to 4.0 is a similar
process.

I hope that helps.

--
Vinu Raj
Metrowerks Developer Support

1. Embedded Codewarrior - where are the codewarrior groups?

I just signed up to a news service Just Because I would have access to the
codewarrior.embedded newsgroups as listed on the
http://www.metrowerks.com/support/newsgroups/ website.  Do these groups
exist and is my problem that www.newsville.com doesn't support those groups?
Or - do the groups not really exist?

I'm having a small bit of trouble getting Metrowerks to answer my questions
without requiring every last line of sourcecode in a fully-compilable unit.
I'm going to keep working with them, but meanwhile I'm looking for some
newsgroup support.

David Haile
Fort Collins, CO

2. Kermit program

3. CodeWarrior Learning Edition and CodeWarrior 6

4. pictures as background gifs

5. codewarrior 8.0 debugger is a slug

6. ka9q - "Radio Pakets" More info please...

7. Linking error with Codewarrior 8.0

8. Routing using a dual-homed machine vs a router

9. REQ: Codewarrior 8.0 for Palm OS

10. CleatType fonts blurry in Codewarrior 8.0 (running XP of course)

11. CodeWarrior 5.0

12. CodeWarrior Pro 5.0 and Palm OS

13. Installing Palm SDK 5.0 on CodeWarrior