access paths

Post by Mike » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 08:24:07

i am assuming access paths is the same as classpath?  i have a jar file that
is not in the default java directory.  i thought by adding a new access
path, i would be able to find the other jar file while compiling but it
doesn't.  i also put the jar file in question in the jdk1.2 directory with
the other jar files and didn't find it either.  that doesn't make sense.  i
must be missing something here.

i know the jar file is good because my other ide has no problem finding it
via the classpath.

i don't know if it makes any difference but the jar file is xerces.jar.
the packages the ide can't locate are
Error   : Package org.xml.sax not found in import.
Assig3.java line 1   import org.xml.sax.*;

Error   : Package org.xml.sax.helpers not found in import.
Assig3.java line 2   import org.xml.sax.helpers.*;

hope that is enough info.

thanks,  mike

access paths

Post by Mike » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 01:35:50

Quote:> i am assuming access paths is the same as classpath?

i did a search on google groups and found the answer.  that is such a good
resource.  I didn't have time yesterday to do the searching so I  had to
revert to my 'old' ide.

i didn't realize that the file had to be included in the project manager.
easy enough but i am confused as to why?  i guess i am just to used to
working in windows.  you mean there if life outside of window?? :-)

mike

access paths

Post by Mike » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 01:39:07

> > i am assuming access paths is the same as classpath?

> i did a search on google groups and found the answer.  that is such a good
> resource.  I didn't have time yesterday to do the searching so I  had to
> revert to my 'old' ide.

> i didn't realize that the file had to be included in the project manager.
> easy enough but i am confused as to why?  i guess i am just to used to
> working in windows.  you mean there if life outside of window?? :-)

so my question is what do access paths do?   if they don't point the
compiler/linker to, in this case, jar files then...?

access paths

Post by MW Ro » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 03:22:29

>i did a search on google groups and found the answer.  that is such a good
>resource.  I didn't have time yesterday to do the searching so I  had to
>revert to my 'old' ide.

I'm sorry, I usually watch the groups much closer on the Weekends but I
had a big family get together over Easter so I wasn't attentive.

Quote:>i didn't realize that the file had to be included in the project manager.
>easy enough but i am confused as to why?  i guess i am just to used to
>working in windows.  you mean there if life outside of window?? :-)

When the compiler creates the object or bytecode it needs to understand
what symbols are what they mean are they a type or a function etc.  It
needs this for syntax checking and for linking all the files.
CodeWarrior for Java can't deduce this from the classpath (the reason
being that originally it was designed for Macintosh that has no
classpath).  So we require the files to be added to the project manager
window so we can find them.

A feature we wish to have for a future version of CodeWarrior is that
the Access paths are a quasi classpath and will work the same way on a
Mac and for Windows and Linux they will be set for the classpath.

Now one more bit of information.

When you add your own files  you may use the same name as another file,
so the access paths would help to determine this.  So Access paths will
still be valid.

I hope that explains why and how they work without being too confusing.

Ron

--
       TOP PICK   HandHeld Computing - issue 4.5
   "The best overall development tool for the Palm OS"

 Metrowerks, maker of CodeWarrior  -  "Software Starts Here"

access paths

Post by Mike » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 03:53:48

> >i did a search on google groups and found the answer.  that is such a
good
> >resource.  I didn't have time yesterday to do the searching so I  had to
> >revert to my 'old' ide.

> I'm sorry, I usually watch the groups much closer on the Weekends but I
> had a big family get together over Easter so I wasn't attentive.

thanks but not necessary.  i feel some responsibility to find out on
my own.  then if i can't find the answer, i rely on the experts.

1. Access Paths in Java IDE

The facts: I am using CW for Java 5 on Windows 2000.

I have a directory called ...\myjava\classes that itself contains a
hierarchy of un-jarred class files (org/..., com/..., etc.) If I am running
the command line java interpreter and put ...\myjava\classes in my
CLASSPATH, the class files are found and everything works great.

In the IDE things are a little different. I tried adding the directory to
the access paths, but that does not work. If I add the .jar files to the
project under the "Classes" folder (I started with Java Stationery), then
everything is fine. I assume I could also add each individual .class file as
well - but that would be messy.

How do I accomplish the equivalent of CLASSPATH in my Java project file or
Java Target settings? Do I always have to include a .jar (can I also include
a .zip?) in the project file? I tried changing some of the runtime settings
as well, but I am not sure I am hitting the right thing.

Anyway to keep my projects nice and clean without referencing the jar files
inside the project? Moreover, I want to be able to point to alternate
versions of the jar files in other directories. How do I do that? Individual
project files?

Also, is there a limit to the length of a path name referenced as an access
path?

Thanks for any assistance.
Martin

(I assume that I am seeing a runtime error and not a compile time or link
time error. Yes?)

2. Hoon Slide Internet (Extract only picture from web)

3. OS X command line precompiler access paths

4. FP Hit Counter

5. Access path

6. Loop interrupt

7. access paths

8. FontFolder 2.1 Bug Fix

9. Access path not found under OSX

10. Changing access paths with COM automation (CW7.0)

11. Access Paths

12. How to access DBF's with UNC path on NT server

13. sas on unix accessing nt files using unc path