Conditional watchpoints

Post by John Do » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 03:45:26

CW8 seems to have a way to specify conditional watchpoints - when I view the
list of watchpoints, there's a field to type conditions.  I can't figure out
how to use it though.  Any help?  Is it even supported?

TIA!

Conditional watchpoints

Post by Ben Combe » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 20:39:34

says...

Quote:> CW8 seems to have a way to specify conditional watchpoints - when I view the
> list of watchpoints, there's a field to type conditions.  I can't figure out
> how to use it though.  Any help?  Is it even supported?

You should be able to open the breakpoint window, click on the field by
a breakpoint, and type in an expression.  Each time that BP is hit, the
expression will be evaluated by the de*, and if true, the
breakpoint will stop the program.  If false, the program continues.

Is there something in this process that isn't working for you?
--

CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead
Get help at http://www.veryComputer.com/

Conditional watchpoints

Post by Ben Combe » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 20:43:35

says...

Quote:> CW8 seems to have a way to specify conditional watchpoints - when I view the
> list of watchpoints, there's a field to type conditions.  I can't figure out
> how to use it though.  Any help?  Is it even supported?

Oops -- I just realized you were asking about watchpoints.  CW for Palm
OS V8 was the first version to support a watchpoint on Palm OS, and it
only supports one WP at a time, and only when using the Palm OS
Emulator.  I've never tested conditions with it -- basically, setting
the WP in CW sets the "data breakpoint" setting in POSE, and I don't
know if the de* is smart enough to evaluate the watchpoint
condition when that data breakpoint is hit.  I've never tried this
myself.
--

CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead
Get help at http://www.veryComputer.com/

Conditional watchpoints

Post by John Do » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:15:25

Thanks, Ben.

CW8 seems to ignore the condition.  It offers to break every time the
watchpoint is updated regardless of the condition.  I guess I'll wait for
next month's update. :-)

I think Metrowerks should start advertising CodeWarrior for Palm as being
bundled with free, premier technical support - by Ben Combee, no less!

-Ig.

P.S.  FYI, OS5 Simulator does not break at all.

> says...
> > CW8 seems to have a way to specify conditional watchpoints - when I view
the
> > list of watchpoints, there's a field to type conditions.  I can't figure
out
> > how to use it though.  Any help?  Is it even supported?

> Oops -- I just realized you were asking about watchpoints.  CW for Palm
> OS V8 was the first version to support a watchpoint on Palm OS, and it
> only supports one WP at a time, and only when using the Palm OS
> Emulator.  I've never tested conditions with it -- basically, setting
> the WP in CW sets the "data breakpoint" setting in POSE, and I don't
> know if the de* is smart enough to evaluate the watchpoint
> condition when that data breakpoint is hit.  I've never tried this
> myself.
> --

> CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead
> Get help at http://www.veryComputer.com/

Conditional watchpoints

Post by Ben Combe » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:22:19

says...

Quote:> P.S.  FYI, OS5 Simulator does not break at all.

The "data breakpoint" wasn't implemented in the PACE 68K emulator -- it
was omitted for increased speed, and implementing a watchpoint using the
standard Win32 mechanims would be rather difficult, as we can't really
know when or how often the simulator is going to read a memory location
while emulating the 68K chip.  I think this will remain a 68K POSE thing
only for the forseeable future.
--

CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead
Get help at http://palmoswerks.com/

Conditional watchpoints

Post by John Do » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:41:45

It would be nice to have these caveats documented though, or better yet,
have the unsupported features disabled in the IDE.  I do understand that IDE
is shared among many different Metrowerks products, so this may not be
always possible.

Thanks for your help.

> says...
> > P.S.  FYI, OS5 Simulator does not break at all.

> The "data breakpoint" wasn't implemented in the PACE 68K emulator -- it
> was omitted for increased speed, and implementing a watchpoint using the
> standard Win32 mechanims would be rather difficult, as we can't really
> know when or how often the simulator is going to read a memory location
> while emulating the 68K chip.  I think this will remain a 68K POSE thing
> only for the forseeable future.
> --

> CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead
> Get help at http://palmoswerks.com/

Conditional watchpoints

Post by Ben Combe » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:51:29

says...

Quote:> It would be nice to have these caveats documented though, or better yet,
> have the unsupported features disabled in the IDE.  I do understand that IDE
> is shared among many different Metrowerks products, so this may not be
> always possible.

We're doing a big documentation rewrite for this release, and I'll pass
on these concerns to our doc writer for his de* chapter.  I agree
that the IDE should show this as disabled, but I'm not sure how the
de* plugin tells the IDE that this won't be honored.  I'll also
send a mail to our de* engineer for the Palm OS product and see if
he can do something here for V9.

Thanks!
--

CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead
Get help at http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Watchpoints

The newer GDB versions support watchpoints in this fashion (e.g. gdb 4.4).
I am not sure if the gdb version that WRS distributes has them since they
are fairly new.  You can try the gdb command "info watch" to see if it knows
about them.  Like someone mentioned earlier, the watchpoints are real SLOW
since they check every instruction for a reference to the location.  They
do not totally disable interrupts though so things still run to some extent.
Anyway, the best solution would be to use some HW support like an emulator
or logic analyzer.  Fred

   |  Fred J Roeber,  Raytheon Submarine Signal Division   |
   |  1847 West Main Road,  Mail Stop 188                  |
   |  Portsmouth, RI  02871-1087  (401) 847-8000 (X4205)   |
   |                                                       |

   |_______________________________________________________|

2. best modem V.34+ etc Re: 28.8 V.34 Modems?

3. MIPS, breakpoints, watchpoints problem

4. Y2K good news

5. Watchpoints?

6. AES/EBU Decoder

7. Problems with watchpoints

8. Setup PAL without PM for HP200LX ?

9. Add-on with conditional logic for CM11A?

10. What X10 controller for conditionals

11. Conditional COmmands

12. Conditional x10 commands with Activehome?