Class browser

Post by Russell Zorne » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 06:54:48

I use the class browser quite alot. One thing that makes using the browser a
pain to use is that there is only two ways to organize the class tree.
Either flat or simple inheritance trees and there is only sort by class
name. I'd like to suggest a couple of ways to make it more useable.

1) It would be nice to sort the class list by namespace as well as class
name. Currently it only sorts by class name which means you get entries from
different namespace all jumbled together. You could use the namespace as the
primary sort and the class name as the secondary sort. Classes in the global
namespace would be sorted only on class name of course.

2) When you have the Classes pane in tree mode rather than flat mode you
only get twisties on base classes to show what classes inherit from it. I'd
like to see twisties on each namespace as well. That way I can collapse
"std" for example and remove all those symbols that I may not want to look
at right now.

When I twist down a namespace item I get to see all the classes defined
within that namespace and the base classes all have twisties as well.

NOTE: This feature could also be added to the hierarchy window so that I can
collapse an entire namespace rather than only being able to collapse classes
hierarchies within a namespace.

3) Also a name filter would be a good idea. At the top of the Classes pane
you would have an edit field which you could type a search string into to.
Then only entries containing that search string would be displayed in the
Classes pane. This applies to the hierarchy window as well.

For example I could type in "iterator" and I would get matches for all
namespaces and class names that contained the word "iterator". All others
would be filtered out. If nothing was entered then you would show
everything. This alone would cut down on the noise when looking for a
particular class or group of classes in the Classes pane.

Thanks,
-Russ

Class browser

Post by MWRo » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 00:34:26

Thanks for the suggestions,  I'll pass these on.

Ron

Quote:>I use the class browser quite alot. One thing that makes using the browser a

--
The ship was the pride of the American side
When the "gales of November" came early.

Edmund Fitzgerald June 7-1958 November 10-1975
http://www.ssefo.com/

METROWERKS                   Ron Liechty