Access Paths

Access Paths

Post by Brian Leade » Thu, 08 May 2003 08:03:43



For some reason, even though I have my include directories set up correctly in
the Access Paths panel, the compiler tells me it can't find a header file in
that path.  What is the logic behind the way the access paths are searched for
include files?

When adding an access path, why are not all options available in the "Relative
To" drop down box?  Sometimes "Project", "CodeWarrior", and "System" are not
available.

Thanks,

Brian

 
 
 

Access Paths

Post by MW Ro » Thu, 08 May 2003 10:58:47




Quote:>For some reason, even though I have my include directories set up correctly in
>the Access Paths panel, the compiler tells me it can't find a header file in
>that path.  What is the logic behind the way the access paths are searched for
>include files?

files that are included as " " are in the users access paths.  Those
included as <> are in the system access paths  Generally it is having
them included wrong that cause the problem.

The other times are simple spelling errors such as a leading or trailing
space.

Quote:>When adding an access path, why are not all options available in the "Relative
>To" drop down box?  Sometimes "Project", "CodeWarrior", and "System" are not
>available.

There is a bug in CW 8 but I thought it was Windows only...  you can set
them the first time as relative but go to change them and they are
absolute.  I don't recall seeing this in the Mac IDE  are you using a
Mac.

Ron

--
  Get printed CodeWarrior Documentation (limited selection)
     And all the latest versions of CodeWarrior Manuals

http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Support/dev_resources/default.htm



 
 
 

Access Paths

Post by Brian Leade » Fri, 09 May 2003 00:51:04


Ron,

Thanks for your response.  I have a bit more information and other questions.

I'm using CW Mac 8.3.  If I compile the file in question separately with Cmd-K,
it compiles fine with no errors.  It is the first file in my project.  If I try
to make the project with Cmd-M, I get the errors with the include files not
being found.

I guess there is a bug in access paths for Mac also.  I was wondering how to get
around this.  Can I export the panel to XML, edit it and reimport it?

Brian




>>For some reason, even though I have my include directories set up correctly in
>>the Access Paths panel, the compiler tells me it can't find a header file in
>>that path.  What is the logic behind the way the access paths are searched for
>>include files?

>files that are included as " " are in the users access paths.  Those
>included as <> are in the system access paths  Generally it is having
>them included wrong that cause the problem.

>The other times are simple spelling errors such as a leading or trailing
>space.

>>When adding an access path, why are not all options available in the "Relative
>>To" drop down box?  Sometimes "Project", "CodeWarrior", and "System" are not
>>available.

>There is a bug in CW 8 but I thought it was Windows only...  you can set
>them the first time as relative but go to change them and they are
>absolute.  I don't recall seeing this in the Mac IDE  are you using a
>Mac.

>Ron

>--
>  Get printed CodeWarrior Documentation (limited selection)
>     And all the latest versions of CodeWarrior Manuals

>http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Support/dev_resources/default.htm



 
 
 

Access Paths

Post by MW Ro » Fri, 09 May 2003 05:07:58




Quote:>Thanks for your response.  I have a bit more information and other questions.

>I'm using CW Mac 8.3.  If I compile the file in question separately with
>Cmd-K,
>it compiles fine with no errors.  It is the first file in my project.  If I
>try
>to make the project with Cmd-M, I get the errors with the include files not
>being found.

First off ensure that the files are actually there to be found.

Find them with finder   One may assume that they are all in the same
location.

Next remove that access path if it is there

Next drag and drop one of the headers from every location to your project

It should find them now.

One other thing crossed my mind  is these are relative paths  sys/time.h  
for example  if that then you need to do things differently.

I'd really like to know what headers it can't find and how you are
including them.

Ron

Quote:>I guess there is a bug in access paths for Mac also.  I was wondering how to
>get
>around this.  Can I export the panel to XML, edit it and reimport it?

--
  Get printed CodeWarrior Documentation (limited selection)
     And all the latest versions of CodeWarrior Manuals

http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Support/dev_resources/default.htm


 
 
 

Access Paths

Post by Brian Leade » Sat, 10 May 2003 02:36:42





>>Thanks for your response.  I have a bit more information and other questions.

>>I'm using CW Mac 8.3.  If I compile the file in question separately with
>>Cmd-K,
>>it compiles fine with no errors.  It is the first file in my project.  If I
>>try
>>to make the project with Cmd-M, I get the errors with the include files not
>>being found.

>First off ensure that the files are actually there to be found.

>Find them with finder   One may assume that they are all in the same
>location.

>Next remove that access path if it is there

>Next drag and drop one of the headers from every location to your project

>It should find them now.

>One other thing crossed my mind  is these are relative paths  sys/time.h  
>for example  if that then you need to do things differently.

>I'd really like to know what headers it can't find and how you are
>including them.

>Ron

>>I guess there is a bug in access paths for Mac also.  I was wondering how to
>>get
>>around this.  Can I export the panel to XML, edit it and reimport it?

>--
>  Get printed CodeWarrior Documentation (limited selection)
>     And all the latest versions of CodeWarrior Manuals

>http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Support/dev_resources/default.htm



Ron,

Here is the contents of an email I sent to CW tech support.  

I'm working with Carbon and PPC projects developing xtras for Director.
It is a user path.
I'm using #include " ", but #include <> gives the same result.
The file is under Hard Drive:Director:XDK:Include
It isn't a subfolder.
It is set to be recursive.

This happens with many files.  CW 8.3 says it can't find some of the include
files in the XDK:Include folder.  When I compile the files alone, everything
works fine.  When I remove and readd the files to the project, the problem goes
away even though no new access paths are added.  When I drag and drop one of the
headers that it can't find to the project, the problem goes away even though no
new access paths are added.

On a related note, why are some of the choices next to "Relative to: "
unavailable when setting access paths?  Most of the time the "CodeWarrior"
choice is unavailable.

 
 
 

Access Paths

Post by MW Ro » Sat, 10 May 2003 05:12:09







>>>Thanks for your response.  I have a bit more information and other
>>>questions.

>>>I'm using CW Mac 8.3.  If I compile the file in question separately with
>>>Cmd-K,
>>>it compiles fine with no errors.  It is the first file in my project.  If I
>>>try
>>>to make the project with Cmd-M, I get the errors with the include files not
>>>being found.

>>First off ensure that the files are actually there to be found.

>>Find them with finder   One may assume that they are all in the same
>>location.

>>Next remove that access path if it is there

>>Next drag and drop one of the headers from every location to your project

>>It should find them now.

>>One other thing crossed my mind  is these are relative paths  sys/time.h  
>>for example  if that then you need to do things differently.

>>I'd really like to know what headers it can't find and how you are
>>including them.

>>Ron

>>>I guess there is a bug in access paths for Mac also.  I was wondering how to
>>>get
>>>around this.  Can I export the panel to XML, edit it and reimport it?

>>--
>>  Get printed CodeWarrior Documentation (limited selection)
>>     And all the latest versions of CodeWarrior Manuals

>>http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Support/dev_resources/default.htm


>Ron,

>Here is the contents of an email I sent to CW tech support.  

>I'm working with Carbon and PPC projects developing xtras for Director.
>It is a user path.
>I'm using #include " ", but #include <> gives the same result.
>The file is under Hard Drive:Director:XDK:Include
>It isn't a subfolder.
>It is set to be recursive.

>This happens with many files.  CW 8.3 says it can't find some of the include
>files in the XDK:Include folder.  When I compile the files alone, everything
>works fine.  When I remove and readd the files to the project, the problem
>goes
>away even though no new access paths are added.  When I drag and drop one of
>the
>headers that it can't find to the project, the problem goes away even though
>no
>new access paths are added.

It sounds like a cache is goofy.  Doing a research for filles may have
helped.  It sounds like this is OK now but if you can send us the
project file,  if this happens again we can see if we can find the
problem.  Exporting to XML and Importing as a new project might also
help as will removing object code and compacting or trashing the data
folder before launching the project.

Quote:>On a related note, why are some of the choices next to "Relative to: "
>unavailable when setting access paths?  Most of the time the "CodeWarrior"
>choice is unavailable.

I'm not sure,  are they on a different volume?

Ron

--
  Get printed CodeWarrior Documentation (limited selection)
     And all the latest versions of CodeWarrior Manuals

http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Support/dev_resources/default.htm


 
 
 

1. Access Paths in Java IDE

The facts: I am using CW for Java 5 on Windows 2000.

I have a directory called ...\myjava\classes that itself contains a
hierarchy of un-jarred class files (org/..., com/..., etc.) If I am running
the command line java interpreter and put ...\myjava\classes in my
CLASSPATH, the class files are found and everything works great.

In the IDE things are a little different. I tried adding the directory to
the access paths, but that does not work. If I add the .jar files to the
project under the "Classes" folder (I started with Java Stationery), then
everything is fine. I assume I could also add each individual .class file as
well - but that would be messy.

How do I accomplish the equivalent of CLASSPATH in my Java project file or
Java Target settings? Do I always have to include a .jar (can I also include
a .zip?) in the project file? I tried changing some of the runtime settings
as well, but I am not sure I am hitting the right thing.

Anyway to keep my projects nice and clean without referencing the jar files
inside the project? Moreover, I want to be able to point to alternate
versions of the jar files in other directories. How do I do that? Individual
project files?

Also, is there a limit to the length of a path name referenced as an access
path?

Thanks for any assistance.
Martin

(I assume that I am seeing a runtime error and not a compile time or link
time error. Yes?)

2. X10 Slimfire

3. access paths

4. Access problems from Windows NT (was: Announcement: C++ incompatibility page)

5. Changing access paths with COM automation (CW7.0)

6. Libsocket : Protocol not supported < EPROTONOSUPPORT >

7. Access path not found under OSX

8. Physical Address of Network Adapter

9. OS X command line precompiler access paths

10. Access path

11. access paths

12. sas on unix accessing nt files using unc path

13. How to access DBF's with UNC path on NT server