Looking for visual resource editor

Post by Jan Oetje » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:22:16

Is there a good visual resource editor that works perfect with
codewarrior?

jan
--
...and thanx for the fish!

Looking for visual resource editor

Post by MW Ro » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:03:28

Quote:>Is there a good visual resource editor that works perfect with
>codewarrior?

Unfortunately, No.

I have several suggestions,  and our old RE.exe  but I'd be glad to see
more suggestions.  What I have is pretty old.

Ron

--
           Metrowerks has moved, our new address is now
                     7700 West Parmer Lane

Looking for visual resource editor

Post by Jan Oetje » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:58:46

geschrieben:

>> Is there a good visual resource editor that works perfect with
>> codewarrior?

> Unfortunately, No.

> I have several suggestions,  and our old RE.exe  but I'd be glad to see
> more suggestions.  What I have is pretty old.

Well where can I get RE.exe. And I'd like to hear your other suggestions as
well ;) having old suggestions is better than having no suggestion :D The
only resource editor I found so far is Resource Builder. It's quite nice
except that you can only use int resource ids. You cannot even supply an
header file with constants defined to use. I think this is because Resource
Builder is ment for Borland C++ and somehow Borland seems to be completly
different when it comes to header files, so Resource Builder end with an
error trying to parse even the standard afxres.h supplied with codewarrior.

jan

--
...and thanx for the fish!

Looking for visual resource editor

Post by MW Ro » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:31:24

Quote:>Well where can I get RE.exe.

Write to me,  it was a beta tool that we include in CW 5.  It is buggy
but you can use it.

Quote:> And I'd like to hear your other suggestions

Here is my FAQ on this.

Links to Win32 errors on MSDN (register required)
http://www.veryComputer.com/

We do not have support for a visual resource editor for Windows, (we
don't have one for Mac either).  There are several ways to do this, for
most people they can just script the resources and use the resource
compiler that is included.  Programming Windows by Charles Petzold is
the "bible" of programming Windows books and is how people should learn
the fundamentals.  We include all the projects for this book and that
includes the resources as scripts.  A lot of people will use these
resources and build a library for their resources, although this is
certainly more difficult than a good visual editor.   We are considering
licensing a visual editor but there are none that we find suitable at
this time.

Now for editing resources there are several good resource editors
available.  Here are a few free resource editors available that work with
CodeWarrior:
one user suggested using gtk graphic libraries to do the GUI.  see
www.gtk.org There is a very good GUI builder called glade that runs on
windows.

some others are
OpenWatcom project has a free Win32 resource editor, used to be bundled
with the Watcom tools.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

after agreeing, download

cm_core_nt.zip
cm_ide_nt.zip

and unzip both to a \watcom folder.  wre is their resource editor, and
while ugly, it seems somewhat functional, at least for plain Win32 apps.

DlgEdit and the other tools that are bundled with the Platform SDK

Restorator
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Resource Hacker
http://www.veryComputer.com/~ajohnson/resourcehacker/

LCC-Win32, a free C compiler, has a resource editor, WEditRes
   http://www.veryComputer.com/.*ia.edu/~lcc-win32/

 WEditRes is also available at
http://www.veryComputer.com/

ResTuner
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/

 to Corporations, Scientist and engineers and Academics.

I am using code warrior on windows and I use the gtk graphic libraries
to do
my GUI.  see www.gtk.org
There is a very good GUI builder called glade that runs on windows.  One
of
the major advantages of using gtk is that it is free ware from the Linux
world and has lots of support and is cross platform source compatible
over
any unix (eg Mac OS X), while win32 api works only on windose.