CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by MW Ro » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 02:54:16

CodeWarrior Development Tools For Mac OS, v8.3 Update is available from
Metrowerks download web site

http://www.veryComputer.com/

This is a recommended Update for all CodeWarrior for Macintosh 8 users.

Warning

Do not apply this patch to installations consisting of any combined
products
other than those listed below.

The CodeWarrior Development Tools For Mac OS, v8.3 update is a
maintenance release of MSL, De*, IDE, and Compilers and Command
Line Tools. This update should only be applied to a CodeWarrior
Development Tools For Mac OS, v8.2 installation, or a CodeWarrior
Development Tools for Mac OS and Windows, v8.2 installation.

Complete release notes can be downloaded from the download page

Installation Notes

This release includes an installer that will update the appropriate
version 8.2 components to version 8.3. After installing we strongly
recommend that you rebuild all of your pre-compiled headers and
libraries to take full advantage of the patched components. Please read
'BuildLibraries Release Note.txt' in the MSL Release Notes folder from
your original installation for instructions on how to rebuild your
libraries.

For a complete list of bugs fixed in this release, please read the
corresponding release notes in the release notes folder after
installation or download the release notes separately from the link
above.

--
        Can you really afford not to use CodeWarrior 8.3 ?
Faster compiles, Improve Code Generation, Updated IDE for OS X 10.2

CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by David Rehrin » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 06:15:24

Well, for me, this appears to be one of the worst updates from MW in a
long time.

Update 8.2 to 8.3->goes fine
use installer option to open IDE and update MSL Libs->ok
rebuild all libraries->fine

Now, open release notes for 8.3 in Finder
->launches new copy of IDE [the same file]
Most likely, this is just due to how the installer launched the IDE, not
really a problem

So, quit 'both' IDEs, then open release notes again [all the text files
in '8.3 Update Release Notes'].

Read first one, hit cmd-w
IDE crashes

Re-launch IDE, then open all the release notes
Read a couple [closing window's as I go along]
IDE crashes

Now, after removing the Metrowerks folder and com.metrowerks.IDE.plist
from my Preferences folder:

Either launching the IDE first, then opening all ten 'release' notes
files or opening all ten files directly [which launches the IDE], it
crashes every time when I close the 5th window.

And yes, I'll waste my time sending in a formal bug report...

Later,
--
David Rehring               Psychos do not explode when light hits
Senior Software Engineer    them, no matter how crazy they are...

CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by Jordan L. Chilcot » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 06:42:58

I wouldn't say that this is one of the worst ones for me, but 8.3 is
still giving me problems in Jaguar that I was suffering in previous
versions since loading in jag.

For some reason, IB won't add new class files to a CW project and I find
it rather inconvenient to have to add them in manually. If it's me, I
definitely would like to know what I am doing wrong because I would
rather be concentrating on programming and not futzing around with the
tools.

I've already removed all preferences and .plist files and even installed
fresh and I still get the same results.

jord

> Well, for me, this appears to be one of the worst updates from MW in a
> long time.

> Update 8.2 to 8.3->goes fine
> use installer option to open IDE and update MSL Libs->ok
> rebuild all libraries->fine

> Now, open release notes for 8.3 in Finder
> ->launches new copy of IDE [the same file]
> Most likely, this is just due to how the installer launched the IDE, not
> really a problem

> So, quit 'both' IDEs, then open release notes again [all the text files
> in '8.3 Update Release Notes'].

> Read first one, hit cmd-w
> IDE crashes

> Re-launch IDE, then open all the release notes
> Read a couple [closing window's as I go along]
> IDE crashes

> Now, after removing the Metrowerks folder and com.metrowerks.IDE.plist
> from my Preferences folder:

> Either launching the IDE first, then opening all ten 'release' notes
> files or opening all ten files directly [which launches the IDE], it
> crashes every time when I close the 5th window.

> And yes, I'll waste my time sending in a formal bug report...

> Later,

CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by David Rehrin » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 06:56:03

Quote:> I wouldn't say that this is one of the worst ones for me, but 8.3 is
> still giving me problems in Jaguar that I was suffering in previous
> versions since loading in jag.

> For some reason, IB won't add new class files to a CW project and I find
> it rather inconvenient to have to add them in manually. If it's me, I
> definitely would like to know what I am doing wrong because I would
> rather be concentrating on programming and not futzing around with the
> tools.

> I've already removed all preferences and .plist files and even installed
> fresh and I still get the same results.

> jord

Well, I open/close windows automatically when I'm working.  I'm not
interested in an IDE that will crash when I pop open a header file to
copy a defined constant and close the window.

I'll try a fresh install, then 8.2 and then the 8.3 update and see if
anything changes.

Later,
--
David Rehring                  Psychos do not explode when light hits
VP of Research and Development them, no matter how crazy they are...
Atimi Software, Inc.
www.atimi.com                  And totally insane guy!

CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by David Rehrin » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 07:41:46

Quote:

> Well, I open/close windows automatically when I'm working.  I'm not
> interested in an IDE that will crash when I pop open a header file to
> copy a defined constant and close the window.

> I'll try a fresh install, then 8.2 and then the 8.3 update and see if
> anything changes.

Well, from doing a fresh install, it seems that the CodeWarrior updaters
don't work properly if you rename the IDE.  So, I've been using the 8.0
IDE all along, with the various other components being updated properly.

This is extremely lame for the installer to succeed, yet not actually
perform the update correctly.

However, doing the fresh install does appear to resolve the closing
issue I had originally.

Later,
--
David Rehring                  Psychos do not explode when light hits
VP of Research and Development them, no matter how crazy they are...
Atimi Software, Inc.
www.atimi.com                  And totally insane guy!

CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by MW Ro » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 07:31:32

Quote:>Well, for me, this appears to be one of the worst updates from MW in a
>long time.

This defintitely is one of the best ever  it is pure gold I don't knwo
why you are having problems.  But there is always ways to foil us so
please do try this again and do a clean install to be sure.

Quote:>Update 8.2 to 8.3->goes fine
>use installer option to open IDE and update MSL Libs->ok
>rebuild all libraries->fine

>Now, open release notes for 8.3 in Finder
>->launches new copy of IDE [the same file]
>Most likely, this is just due to how the installer launched the IDE, not
>really a problem

You should not have gotten two version of the IDE open unless you happen
to have two versions of the IDE and even then ...

Quote:>And yes, I'll waste my time sending in a formal bug report...

Please do a clean install and I hate to say it but you may want to trash
the Metrowerks Preferences and rebuild your desktop on OS X too.

Ron

--
    http://metrowerks.com/MW/Support/Download/default.htm

Post by MW Ro » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 07:32:42

Quote:>I wouldn't say that this is one of the worst ones for me, but 8.3 is
>still giving me problems in Jaguar that I was suffering in previous
>versions since loading in jag.

>For some reason, IB won't add new class files to a CW project and I find
>it rather inconvenient to have to add them in manually. If it's me, I
>definitely would like to know what I am doing wrong because I would
>rather be concentrating on programming and not futzing around with the
>tools.

You have to touch and rebuild in CW 8.2  but I thought this was fixed.
Can you send me a better description.

Quote:>I've already removed all preferences and .plist files and even installed
>fresh and I still get the same results.

Ron

--
        Can you really afford not to use CodeWarrior 8.3 ?
Faster compiles, Improve Code Generation, Updated IDE for OS X 10.2
    http://metrowerks.com/MW/Support/Download/default.htm

CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by Adriaan Tijsselin » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:58:03

Quote:> CodeWarrior Development Tools For Mac OS, v8.3 Update is available

Downloaded and installed the update. Rebuilding projects went without a
glitch. So far it seems a good update. Thanks!

The only thing I don't really like is that MW opens the projects that
was open the last time it was quit. If I double click another project,
then MW starts up opening that one plus what was open last time. It's a
hassle to close the unwanted projects.

Adriaan

CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by MW Ro » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:44:08

Quote:>The only thing I don't really like is that MW opens the projects that
>was open the last time it was quit. If I double click another project,
>then MW starts up opening that one plus what was open last time. It's a
>hassle to close the unwanted projects.

In the Edit Menu - Preferences... General - IDE Extras  deselect Use
Default Workspace.  That will open what ever you shut down with.

Ron

--
        Can you really afford not to use CodeWarrior 8.3 ?
Faster compiles, Improve Code Generation, Updated IDE for OS X 10.2
    http://metrowerks.com/MW/Support/Download/default.htm

CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by MW Ro » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:49:15

Quote:>Well, from doing a fresh install, it seems that the CodeWarrior updaters
>don't work properly if you rename the IDE.

No they worked properly if you rename the IDE, that was the problem.
What you considered correctly and what the designers considered
correctly are two different things :)

  So, I've been using the 8.0

Quote:>IDE all along, with the various other components being updated properly.

>This is extremely lame for the installer to succeed, yet not actually
>perform the update correctly.

I wish if there was a component that didn't install it would say
installation failure and pop up the installer log and save you having to
read through it.

Quote:>However, doing the fresh install does appear to resolve the closing
>issue I had originally.

I'm sure you are going to be much happier,  I'm really bullish on this
release.  It isn't perfect but we did a lot of work on it.

Ron

--
        Can you really afford not to use CodeWarrior 8.3 ?
Faster compiles, Improve Code Generation, Updated IDE for OS X 10.2
    http://metrowerks.com/MW/Support/Download/default.htm

CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by Jordan L. Chilcot » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:37:29

I don't know if touch and rebuild will help in this case. If I create a
new Cocoa Application Project and then go into Interface Builder and
create a new class (say I create a subclass NewObject from NSObject),
when I create the files for the class, they do not get added to the
project, despite being asked on the file selector sheet if I want to add
them to the Cocoa Debug and Cocoa Final targets. The CWIB.Bundle is
installed. I also tested against a fresh CW install updated to 8.3.

Is that a little clearer? Even more so, have I not done something that I
should have done?

jord

Post by David Rehrin » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:09:56

> >Well, from doing a fresh install, it seems that the CodeWarrior updaters
> >don't work properly if you rename the IDE.

> No they worked properly if you rename the IDE, that was the problem.
> What you considered correctly and what the designers considered
> correctly are two different things :)

I can't believe you are saying that it's proper and acceptable for an
updater to fail to update one of the most important files in your
product and still report success.

Quote:> > So, I've been using the 8.0
> >IDE all along, with the various other components being updated properly.

> >This is extremely lame for the installer to succeed, yet not actually
> >perform the update correctly.

> I wish if there was a component that didn't install it would say
> installation failure and pop up the installer log and save you having to
> read through it.

I did read through the 8.3 installer log.  There no mention of a file
not found or an update problem.  And it's impossible for me as an
end-user to know if a 'line' is missing from the log.

Later,
--
David Rehring                  Psychos do not explode when light hits
VP of Research and Development them, no matter how crazy they are...
Atimi Software, Inc.
www.atimi.com                  And totally insane guy!

CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by Sean McBrid » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:40:24

Quote:> I don't know if touch and rebuild will help in this case. If I create a
> new Cocoa Application Project and then go into Interface Builder and
> create a new class (say I create a subclass NewObject from NSObject),
> when I create the files for the class, they do not get added to the
> project, despite being asked on the file selector sheet if I want to add
> them to the Cocoa Debug and Cocoa Final targets. The CWIB.Bundle is
> installed. I also tested against a fresh CW install updated to 8.3.

> Is that a little clearer? Even more so, have I not done something that I
> should have done?

Do you also have PB open?  If so I think the IB-CW integration doesn't
work as well... make sure PB is quit.

CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh

Post by Jordan L. Chilcot » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:34:41

PB is not open. It's just CW and IB.

jord

Post by Adriaan Tijsselin » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:11:18

> >The only thing I don't really like is that MW opens the projects that
> >was open the last time it was quit. If I double click another project,
> >then MW starts up opening that one plus what was open last time. It's a
> >hassle to close the unwanted projects.

> In the Edit Menu - Preferences... General - IDE Extras  deselect Use
> Default Workspace.  That will open what ever you shut down with.

That's not so obvious, that preference... ;)

Thanks for the pointer!

Adriaan

1. Updating CodeWarrior 8.3 to compile for QuickTime 6

Hi,

I'm trying to update my CodeWarrior for Mac 8.3 install to compile against
QuickTime 6 for Carbon and PPC builds.  I've downloaded the latest Universal
Interfaces from Apple (3.4.2) (which claim to support QT6), and put these in
the right place, but still no luck.  What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

2. Unauthenticated Exceptions slowing down server performance?

3. CodeWarrior for Palm OS 8.3 Update

4. Attn: PPI Tech Support, advice needed.

5. CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Windows

6. Proud owner

7. Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

8. Trouble w/ Hit Counter

9. ProjectBuilder Prjcts to CodeWarrior 8.3 (?)

10. Using CodeWarrior 8.3 to debug a plug-in fails

11. CodeWarrior for Palm 8.3 Patch Available.

12. Codewarrior 8.3 patch

13. Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits