Problem with debugger

Post by Gianluca Silvest » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:54:14

Hi all,
I can't manage during debugging to enter into operator new(int). I
managed to enter into operator new[], but then it goes straight over
"return operator new(size)".

While I'm here, I need to enter inside operator new because I have
such problem: at a certain point I new()'ed an object. Then after some
procedures there'is a CString (MFC) that performs a new char[]. That
new[] returns the same region of memory I had new()'d before.

Thanks,
GIanluca

Problem with debugger

Post by MW Ro » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:08:42

Quote:>Hi all,
>I can't manage during debugging to enter into operator new(int). I
>managed to enter into operator new[], but then it goes straight over
>"return operator new(size)".

There is an option to not step into runtime code.  This is probably on,
try turning it off.

Quote:>While I'm here, I need to enter inside operator new because I have
>such problem: at a certain point I new()'ed an object. Then after some
>procedures there'is a CString (MFC) that performs a new char[]. That
>new[] returns the same region of memory I had new()'d before.

Do you have optimization on,  I could see how this could possibly happen
with optimizations on but if not more information and an example would
be useful.

Ron

--
           Metrowerks has moved, our new address is now
                     7700 West Parmer Lane

Problem with debugger

Post by Gianluca Silvest » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:47:36

> >Hi all,
> >I can't manage during debugging to enter into operator new(int). I
> >managed to enter into operator new[], but then it goes straight over
> >"return operator new(size)".

> There is an option to not step into runtime code.  This is probably on,
> try turning it off.

I'm sorry but I can't find that option. Can you help me?
Quote:

> >While I'm here, I need to enter inside operator new because I have
> >such problem: at a certain point I new()'ed an object. Then after some
> >procedures there'is a CString (MFC) that performs a new char[]. That
> >new[] returns the same region of memory I had new()'d before.

> Do you have optimization on,  I could see how this could possibly happen
> with optimizations on but if not more information and an example would
> be useful.

It turned out that was not a problem of conflicting new()'s but I'm
still struggling to find the problem.
Thanks,
Gianluca

Problem with debugger

Post by MW Ro » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:02:11

>> >Hi all,
>> >I can't manage during debugging to enter into operator new(int). I
>> >managed to enter into operator new[], but then it goes straight over
>> >"return operator new(size)".

>> There is an option to not step into runtime code.  This is probably on,
>> try turning it off.
>I'm sorry but I can't find that option. Can you help me?

Edit menu
Preferences....
De* ->  Global Setting

There is a item there that is selected by default to  "Don't step into
runtime support code"   you'd need to deselect this.

Quote:>It turned out that was not a problem of conflicting new()'s but I'm
>still struggling to find the problem.

Yes memory management problems are always the worst to find.  You have
my sympathies.

Ron

--

Post by Gianluca Silvestr » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:14:36

> Edit menu
> Preferences....
> De* ->  Global Setting

> There is a item there that is selected by default to  "Don't step into
> runtime support code"   you'd need to deselect this.

Many thanks.

Gianluca