OpenGL in Codewarrior 8.3 - outdated?

Post by Charles Moyl » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:30:47

I'm trying to compile some OpenGL code under Codewarrior 8.3 for Windows.
It mostly works but I've noticed that some OpenGL #defines are missing in
the provided header files (gl.h and glu.h).

A check through the gl.h header file indicates that the OpenGL included
with Codewarrior 8.3 is version 1.1.  This prevents me from using some
features I need because OpenGL version 1.1 is out of date.  IIRC, it's up
to version 1.4 now.

Does Metrowerks provide more current headers and libraries for OpenGL on
Windows?  If not, does anyone else provide CW 8.3-compatible headers and
libraries for a current (v1.4?) version of OpenGL?  I couldn't find
anything at www.opengl.org.  Or is there some other way to access the
features of OpenGL v1.4?

Thanks,
Charles

OpenGL in Codewarrior 8.3 - outdated?

Post by MW Ro » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:59:38

Quote:>I'm trying to compile some OpenGL code under Codewarrior 8.3 for Windows.
>It mostly works but I've noticed that some OpenGL #defines are missing in
>the provided header files (gl.h and glu.h).

>A check through the gl.h header file indicates that the OpenGL included
>with Codewarrior 8.3 is version 1.1.  This prevents me from using some
>features I need because OpenGL version 1.1 is out of date.  IIRC, it's up
>to version 1.4 now.

>Does Metrowerks provide more current headers and libraries for OpenGL on
>Windows?  If not, does anyone else provide CW 8.3-compatible headers and
>libraries for a current (v1.4?) version of OpenGL?  I couldn't find
>anything at www.opengl.org.  Or is there some other way to access the
>features of OpenGL v1.4?

I've had no problems with OpenGL with CW 8.3 in my limited use.  If you
could send me some more information on exactly what is missing and what
problems you are having a problem with.

Ron

--
       Migrate your PowerPlant Applications to Windows
    http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Services/OEM/default.htm

OpenGL in Codewarrior 8.3 - outdated?

Post by Ed Swart » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:58:11

Hi Charles,

Quote:> A check through the gl.h header file indicates that the OpenGL included
> with Codewarrior 8.3 is version 1.1.  This prevents me from using some
> features I need because OpenGL version 1.1 is out of date.  IIRC, it's up
> to version 1.4 now.

> Does Metrowerks provide more current headers and libraries for OpenGL on
> Windows?  If not, does anyone else provide CW 8.3-compatible headers and
> libraries for a current (v1.4?) version of OpenGL?  I couldn't find
> anything at www.opengl.org.  Or is there some other way to access the
> features of OpenGL v1.4?

Unfortunately, MS has stopped updating the OpenGL headers in the Win32 SDK.
So, while MW has not updated the Win32 SDK in a while (we will in Pro9 ;)
the OpenGL support has not changed at all.  (I guess MS really really wants
people to use DirectX instead.)

Like you, I couldn't find anything useful on opengl.org.  But they do claim
that it is possible to develop v1.4 hardware drivers for OpenGL in Win32 (I
wonder if updated headers are in the Windows Device Driver Kit (DDK)?).

I found this link, though:

http://www.levp.de/3d/index.html

with comments:

"I was sick of this mess with OpenGL extensions and the fact that there is
no OpenGL 1.4 lib under Windows. So I wrote a small lib that simplifies
using extensions to 1 function and a OpenGL 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 header, and it
also includes many extensions, so no need to use glext.h anymore. My lib
automatically initializes all available and supported extensions. (Under
linux it only initializes extensions, not the OpenGL 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 core
functions) The only thing you need to do is call extgl_Initialize() function
and it will automatically detect and initialize all supported(supported by
the driver and supported by my lib) extensions and also OpenGL 1.2, 1.3 and
1.4 functionality. The bad thing is that it still does not eliminate the
problem of using extensions or OpenGL 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4functionality with
multiply rendering contexts. You should know what extensions are, if you
don't know read this."

-- Ed

OpenGL in Codewarrior 8.3 - outdated?

Post by Charles Moyl » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:26:20

Thanks Ed and Ron.

I think I've figured out how it's supposed to work:  you just use the v1.1
headers and libraries and if you find a missing #define, just use the
"direct" value.

For example, OpenGL v1.1 does not #define the GL_BGRA pixel format tag.

So I just searched on the net and found that current versions of OpenGL have:

  #define GL_BGRA   0x80E1

So I just put that line in my own header file.  Now I can use GL_BGRA as a
parameter to various OpenGL functions.  And it works too, because
(apparently) the Codewarrior OpenGL library mostly just passes parameters
on to the video card driver to deal with.  So if the video card driver is
more advanced than v1.1 (and most of them are) it will handle the
parameter properly.

It's a bit hacky but seems to work.

Charles

1. ProjectBuilder Prjcts to CodeWarrior 8.3 (?)

Hello again all,

  I have a project in Project builder but would like to bring it over
to CodeWarrior to compile and ultimately take advantage of CW's
powerplant.  The problem of course is that CW won't import a
ProjectBuilder project and I can't seem to do anything with the
AppleScript Studio files I'm using.

Is it possible to use AppleScript Studio scripts with CW 8.3 (X)?  Is
it possible to use ProjectBuilder projects with CW?

I have some library files that add software code protection to an
application I wrote in PB and AppleScript Studio but they are meant to
be used within CW and not PB.  Does anyone have any ideas to make this
work?  Ron, can you help explain what I should do?  Thanks again for
your help, folks..

--
FriedDylan

2. how to extend the Schema of AD via VBScript? or the other method?

3. Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

4. NEXT Display on Mac?

5. Updating CodeWarrior 8.3 to compile for QuickTime 6

6. Windows XP Install Method

7. CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Windows

8. PV-WAVE 6.0 import data

9. CodeWarrior for Palm OS 8.3 Update

10. Codewarrior 8.3 patch

11. Codewarrior 8.3 unexpectedly quits

12. CodeWarrior for Palm 8.3 Patch Available.

13. CodeWarrior v 8.3 update for Macintosh